what's your favorite pellet and why

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Found some new ones at Walmart. Off brand, not sure I would try these but who knows they might be good. Only $6.88 a bag. Not a bad price at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_075550042.jpg
    IMG_20210103_075550042.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 8

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Ok I couldn't resist. 6.88 is pocket change so I grabbed a bag. I don't need anymore pellets I probably have enough to get me thru til June.
I can’t say I have ever used hickory but we do use a lot of oak here in Texas. Love the way oak smells on a pit. I’d still like to find a straight pecan pellet. It’s always been my favorite.

MeatLoafT

Reaction score
I just picked up 140 lbs (7 bags) of different flavors at Rural King for $8.88 a bag. Lumberjack brand. It said everyday price. I've been paying about $1 per pound elsewhere.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t say I have ever used hickory but we do use a lot of oak here in Texas. Love the way oak smells on a pit. I’d still like to find a straight pecan pellet. It’s always been my favorite.
I believe Bear Mountain makes a 100% Pecan pellet.

MKinHB

Reaction score
Just ordered two bags of Bear Mountain pellets 1 OAK and 1 GOURMET BLEND on the BOGO deal they have right now.
hope they are as good as I have read about here. 2 20LB. bags with shipping is $25.98 not bad if they live up to their reputation.

MKinHB

Reaction score
I stopped at Ace hardware last night cause I had a 5 dollar birthday discount card, picked up some Jack Daniel's pellets,
anyone use these before and if so how did you like them?
they are made with oak and the charcoal used for filtration of the whiskey.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Jack Daniels pellets once, had a free bag. They burn good but honestly I couldn't tell a difference in flavor

MKinHB

Reaction score
Today I had a bad experience with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets, put on a Pork Shoulder Roast and I could not get any smoke from my smoker, added a smoke tube with the same pellets and there was very little smoke! After 3 hours I changed the pellets to Weber hickory and dumped the smoke tube and filled it with some Weber hickory. Getting smoke now from the tube but it's gonna take a while to get the pellets through the auger.
I will not use Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets again!

MKinHB

Reaction score
Today I had a bad experience with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets, put on a Pork Shoulder Roast and I could not get any smoke from my smoker, added a smoke tube with the same pellets and there was very little smoke! After 3 hours I changed the pellets to Weber hickory and dumped the smoke tube and filled it with some Weber hickory. Getting smoke now from the tube but it's gonna take a while to get the pellets through the auger.
I will not use Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets again!
Finally getting a steady stream of thin blue/white smoke from my 850, It seems like the pellets were the problem?¿

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, first Bear Mountain I used was Gourmet Blend and they produced a ton of smoke. I was sold on Bear Mountain after that one bag and have since bought many more (but only when BOGO :cool: )

MKinHB

Reaction score
Wow, first Bear Mountain I used was Gourmet Blend and they produced a ton of smoke. I was sold on Bear Mountain after that one bag and have since bought many more (but only when BOGO :cool: )
Also produced a lot of ash, the worst I have seen, I'm thinking maybe a bad batch of pellets?
I still have the Bear Mountain oak to try, got on the BOGO.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
If the oak burns good then complain to them you got a bad bag. Curious to see how the oak does I have a bag as well. Right now cooking with Bear Mountain Hickory

MKinHB

Reaction score
The Bear Mountain Oak is really smoking nice, this is Aromatherapy I tell you.
Nice temps. on the smoke setting so far, yesterday it went up to 280* on one of the swings while on smoke setting.

Kp33

Reaction score
PSA: Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend is currently listed at <$4/ 20 lb bag at Rural King. Might want to check to see if there's a store near you with stock (nearest to me is 100 miles away :( )
What's in the bear mountain gourmet blend? I dont see on the bag what wood types are in it.

Kp33

Reaction score
Oak, Hickory, Maple, Cherry, it's on their web site, should be on the bag but I don.t think it is.
You still using that brand...I've only used pitboss competition blend from Lowes. How do they compare if you have used both.

Latest Discussions