what's your favorite pellet and why

MKinHB

Reaction score
Looking for information on pellets, I have used Pit Boss hickory, mesquite and one of the blends. Weber Grill Master blend.
Looking for a good tasting smoke pellet that leaves little ash.
I have a problem with too much ash build up and Pit Boss says they are trying to figure out why.
Igniter gets covered in about 4 hours.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Kingsford and Bear Mountain are good. I've heard the bags that Sam's sells is good too I'm gonna pick some up next time I am there.

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I like the Smoke House Pellets from Sam's and I think I will stick with them. They seemed to produce more smoke and the temps seem more stable with these pellets along with little amount of dust. I have so many different brands so I decided to exclusively use Smoke House in my Yoder and the rest of the brand pellets I will use in my Pit Boss.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I like the Smoke House Pellets from Sam's and I think I will stick with them. They seemed to produce more smoke and the temps seem more stable with these pellets along with little amount of dust. I have so many different brands so I decided to exclusively use Smoke House in my Yoder and the rest of the brand pellets I will use in my Pit Boss.

Yeah those are the ones I saw. They had those plus a Hickory/Oak blend which is what I want to try.

Lately my 340 grill (old and small Pit Boss) has been flaming out on the smoke setting. I have to babysit it and play around to keep it from flaming out when in Smoke mode. I wonder if it's the pellets? I have tried different ones but all Pit Boss brand. Maybe I am getting more ash then I realize and maybe that's the cause. Either way I called Pit Boss and they are sending me a new controller. Every other setting works fine, no issues at all unless on smoke. Before I swap out controllers I'll try another brand of pellets in it.

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
the pellets are actually good, but I would like to see someone else's opinion on them.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
I’ve got one more 40 lb bag of Pitt bosses competition blend before I can change. Does anyone know if there is a pecan or mesquite pellet?

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Pit Boss makes mesquite pellets. Bear Mountain has some good pecan pellets
I looked at Bear Mountain. Seems they are pretty good and comes highly recommended. They are completely out on there web site. I’ll have to shop around.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes they have buy one get one free. Just put in the code at checkout BOGO and see if it works. I ordered some last month and got a bag of Pecan and a bag of Oak. Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain but my local store doesn't have it. They also sell them on Amazon

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems that Bear Mountain is in majority of the Tractor Supply stores in Tennessee.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Bear Mountain BOGO again this weekend

Attachments

• brmnt.JPG
    brmnt.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 28

aabshire

Reaction score

I gave seen those and been wanting to try them

SeymourSmoke

Reaction score
I know this thread is about pellet 'likes' but I have to say I'm unimpressed with the LumberJack Apple Blend pellets. Something like 60% Red Oak?
A bit harsh and heavier than true applewood. Even my wife, a Yakima WA. native (apple capitol of the universe) noticed.
So it's not just me, also a Washington native and self proclaimed apple, salmon and crab snob.

Seems like the more obvious apple blend would be alder? or some other 'lighter' wood?
Anybody else have trouble finding good, 100% apple pellets?
Regards, Mike

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not use Apple when smoking, but based on Food Network show they were using smoking ribs and they were talking about different blends of pellets and he said these are the best Apple pellets in the market. It seems that they are an east coast company.

I found Big Johns last year never tried there pellets, but I always wanted to so maybe this summer.

spudthegreater

Reaction score
Looking for information on pellets, I have used Pit Boss hickory, mesquite and one of the blends. Weber Grill Master blend.
Looking for a good tasting smoke pellet that leaves little ash.
I have a problem with too much ash build up and Pit Boss says they are trying to figure out why.
Igniter gets covered in about 4 hours.
I have tried several, and have ended my quest with Lumberjack Char Hickory. The flavor is almost like charcoal bbq with the Hickory being obvious. my family is a big fan of Hickory, most people seem to like oak. I have cherry and apple as well, and I prefer to use apple Lumberjack for smoking cheese. The char hickory seems to leave very little ash in comparison. try a bag out, it might work for you.

HuntJ08

Reaction score
I use an equal mix of PB apple, hickory and charcoal regularly.
Then on a longer cook, I use a pellet tube with apple to accent.

MKinHB

Reaction score
I used the Weber pellets I got at Lowe's for half price last month, the pellets are very inconsistent on length, some are 2 inches long.
They break up pretty easily but then can jamb the auger, I break them up. Sometimes you hear the auger snap as it breaks the pellets, not good.
The real concern is that the long pellets can cause bridging in the hopper, we already know these hoppers and gravity do not work the best together so if you are using Weber pellets beware of that. Otherwise the taste was very good with these but I will not buy them again.
I think consistent pellet size is important.

Latest Discussions