what's your favorite pellet and why

MKinHB

Reaction score
You still using that brand...I've only used pitboss competition blend from Lowes. How do they compare if you have used both.
I had a bad bag of Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend, so they are sending me out another bag to try, but their oak pellets worked very good and a good amount of smoke from them, very happy with the oak.
I have never used Pit Boss comp. blend.

Elfcane

Reaction score
I started sifting and noticed less stuff flying all over like the sparks. I have only tried PB products so far in the hopper. I wonder if it's actually the seasononing in the pit forming and catching the stuff though... 🤔

Chefk85

Reaction score
Looking for information on pellets, I have used Pit Boss hickory, mesquite and one of the blends. Weber Grill Master blend.
Looking for a good tasting smoke pellet that leaves little ash.
I have a problem with too much ash build up and Pit Boss says they are trying to figure out why.
Igniter gets covered in about 4 hours.
I like the pit boss pellets. Competition blend from walmart is my current favorite. Tried the weber brand mix and just prefer the flavor of the competiton pot boss. I have a bag of traeger to try out sometime soon. Pellet smokers are new to me so im sure others have a lot more experience with different brands but thats my experience so far. Happy smoking!

Elfcane

Reaction score
I really like the BBQr's Delight pellets that come in the smaller bags. I ONLY use these in my tubes as they are 100% the wood flavor on the bag making them more expensive. It says you get 10 uses per bag which I guess is true if you're doing smaller cooks. I got the 6 pack available at Amazon for around 40.

MKinHB

Reaction score
Anyone notice that the Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets at Lowe's are different than the ones at Walmart?
Lowe's = Hickory, Maple, Cherry
Walmart = Hickory, Maple, Apple
Also, all types I have used (Pit Boss, Weber, Bear Mountain) all come in perforated bags, so they are not really sealed are they?
Just an observation.

Elfcane

Reaction score
Anyone notice that the Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets at Lowe's are different than the ones at Walmart?
Lowe's = Hickory, Maple, Cherry
Walmart = Hickory, Maple, Apple
Also, all types I have used (Pit Boss, Weber, Bear Mountain) all come in perforated bags, so they are not really sealed are they?
Just an observation.
And the charcoal is exclusive for Walmart... ???

MKinHB

Reaction score
I am done with Bear Mountain, the Gourmet blend was terrible, I had to stop in the middle of a cook and remove all the pellets and change to another kind, these produce almost no smoke, not even through the smoke tube.
Anyone else have this problem with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend??
I get good smoke from all other pellets I have used except these.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used the Gourmet Blend several times and have never had a problem with them not smoking. Currently I have the Bold Blend in my smoker. Have never had a problem out of any of their pellets. perhaps you got a bad bag? maybe contact them. Who knows they may send a free bag of something else.

MKinHB

Reaction score
I have used the Gourmet Blend several times and have never had a problem with them not smoking. Currently I have the Bold Blend in my smoker. Have never had a problem out of any of their pellets. perhaps you got a bad bag? maybe contact them. Who knows they may send a free bag of something else.
yeah Mike, I contacted them about it and they said probably a bad batch, they did send me a new bag and I had the same problem with them as well. Two cooks with those pellets had to be stopped to swap out the pellets to something else. I did a test with the smoke tube while not cooking and I got very little smoke, sometimes I thought it stopped burning but no.
So I threw the rest out, maybe coincident but two bags in a row I don't know what to say.
I did like their oak pellets but the gourmet blend and my smoker do not get along.
I have been using a variety of Pit Boss, Weber, Jack Daniels and not a problem with any of them.
Who knows?

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Using the gourmet blend today and no issues that's weird.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_132353034.jpg
    IMG_20210403_132353034.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2

frc

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised by the comments regarding some pellets not generating a lot of smoke. Coming from years of smoking meats, the one thing you never do is generate visible smoke. Or at last keep it to a minimum. Too much smoke = creosote taste. But whatever.

As for the pellets, I vote for B&B. My experience with B&B has been most consistent temps and good flavor. I use, depending on the meat or mood, oak, hickory, and pecan. Occasionally, apple. Using B&B in a Pit Boss pro Series 1100, for reference.

Latest Discussions