what's your favorite pellet and why

MKinHB

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for information on pellets, I have used Pit Boss hickory, mesquite and one of the blends. Weber Grill Master blend.
Looking for a good tasting smoke pellet that leaves little ash.
I have a problem with too much ash build up and Pit Boss says they are trying to figure out why.
Igniter gets covered in about 4 hours.

Kingsford and Bear Mountain are good. I've heard the bags that Sam's sells is good too I'm gonna pick some up next time I am there.

Actually I like the Smoke House Pellets from Sam's and I think I will stick with them. They seemed to produce more smoke and the temps seem more stable with these pellets along with little amount of dust. I have so many different brands so I decided to exclusively use Smoke House in my Yoder and the rest of the brand pellets I will use in my Pit Boss.

Actually I like the Smoke House Pellets from Sam's and I think I will stick with them. They seemed to produce more smoke and the temps seem more stable with these pellets along with little amount of dust. I have so many different brands so I decided to exclusively use Smoke House in my Yoder and the rest of the brand pellets I will use in my Pit Boss.

Yeah those are the ones I saw. They had those plus a Hickory/Oak blend which is what I want to try.

Lately my 340 grill (old and small Pit Boss) has been flaming out on the smoke setting. I have to babysit it and play around to keep it from flaming out when in Smoke mode. I wonder if it's the pellets? I have tried different ones but all Pit Boss brand. Maybe I am getting more ash then I realize and maybe that's the cause. Either way I called Pit Boss and they are sending me a new controller. Every other setting works fine, no issues at all unless on smoke. Before I swap out controllers I'll try another brand of pellets in it.

I’ve got one more 40 lb bag of Pitt bosses competition blend before I can change. Does anyone know if there is a pecan or mesquite pellet?

Pit Boss makes mesquite pellets. Bear Mountain has some good pecan pellets
I looked at Bear Mountain. Seems they are pretty good and comes highly recommended. They are completely out on there web site. I’ll have to shop around.

Sometimes they have buy one get one free. Just put in the code at checkout BOGO and see if it works. I ordered some last month and got a bag of Pecan and a bag of Oak. Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain but my local store doesn't have it. They also sell them on Amazon

It seems that Bear Mountain is in majority of the Tractor Supply stores in Tennessee.

Bear Mountain BOGO again this weekend

Attachments

• brmnt.JPG
    brmnt.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 73

I gave seen those and been wanting to try them

I know this thread is about pellet 'likes' but I have to say I'm unimpressed with the LumberJack Apple Blend pellets. Something like 60% Red Oak?
A bit harsh and heavier than true applewood. Even my wife, a Yakima WA. native (apple capitol of the universe) noticed.
So it's not just me, also a Washington native and self proclaimed apple, salmon and crab snob.

Seems like the more obvious apple blend would be alder? or some other 'lighter' wood?
Anybody else have trouble finding good, 100% apple pellets?
Regards, Mike

Latest Discussions

Back