what's your favorite pellet and why

I do not use Apple when smoking, but based on Food Network show they were using smoking ribs and they were talking about different blends of pellets and he said these are the best Apple pellets in the market. It seems that they are an east coast company.

I found Big Johns last year never tried there pellets, but I always wanted to so maybe this summer.

Looking for information on pellets, I have used Pit Boss hickory, mesquite and one of the blends. Weber Grill Master blend.
Looking for a good tasting smoke pellet that leaves little ash.
I have a problem with too much ash build up and Pit Boss says they are trying to figure out why.
Igniter gets covered in about 4 hours.
I have tried several, and have ended my quest with Lumberjack Char Hickory. The flavor is almost like charcoal bbq with the Hickory being obvious. my family is a big fan of Hickory, most people seem to like oak. I have cherry and apple as well, and I prefer to use apple Lumberjack for smoking cheese. The char hickory seems to leave very little ash in comparison. try a bag out, it might work for you.

I use an equal mix of PB apple, hickory and charcoal regularly.
Then on a longer cook, I use a pellet tube with apple to accent.

I used the Weber pellets I got at Lowe's for half price last month, the pellets are very inconsistent on length, some are 2 inches long.
They break up pretty easily but then can jamb the auger, I break them up. Sometimes you hear the auger snap as it breaks the pellets, not good.
The real concern is that the long pellets can cause bridging in the hopper, we already know these hoppers and gravity do not work the best together so if you are using Weber pellets beware of that. Otherwise the taste was very good with these but I will not buy them again.
I think consistent pellet size is important.

Found some new ones at Walmart. Off brand, not sure I would try these but who knows they might be good. Only $6.88 a bag. Not a bad price at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_075550042.jpg
    IMG_20210103_075550042.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 25
Ok I couldn't resist. 6.88 is pocket change so I grabbed a bag. I don't need anymore pellets I probably have enough to get me thru til June.
I can’t say I have ever used hickory but we do use a lot of oak here in Texas. Love the way oak smells on a pit. I’d still like to find a straight pecan pellet. It’s always been my favorite.

I can’t say I have ever used hickory but we do use a lot of oak here in Texas. Love the way oak smells on a pit. I’d still like to find a straight pecan pellet. It’s always been my favorite.
I believe Bear Mountain makes a 100% Pecan pellet.

Just ordered two bags of Bear Mountain pellets 1 OAK and 1 GOURMET BLEND on the BOGO deal they have right now.
hope they are as good as I have read about here. 2 20LB. bags with shipping is $25.98 not bad if they live up to their reputation.

I stopped at Ace hardware last night cause I had a 5 dollar birthday discount card, picked up some Jack Daniel's pellets,
anyone use these before and if so how did you like them?
they are made with oak and the charcoal used for filtration of the whiskey.

I used Jack Daniels pellets once, had a free bag. They burn good but honestly I couldn't tell a difference in flavor

Latest Discussions

Back