1150 Temp Issues

AJ Fraz

Reaction score
I just got the 1150 this weekend and after the initial "burn off" I threw a rack of ribs on. Temps held fine at 300 but when I set it at my desired temp of 250 it had HUGE fluctuations in temp and stayed around 190 for the most part. I will be giving customer service a ring.

Srminosky

Reaction score
I just got the 1150 this weekend and after the initial "burn off" I threw a rack of ribs on. Temps held fine at 300 but when I set it at my desired temp of 250 it had HUGE fluctuations in temp and stayed around 190 for the most part. I will be giving customer service a ring.
Interested what they tell you, please let us know.

AJ Fraz

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the warranty department and they sure have had quite a few people reach out about this temp control issue at 225 and 250. She said that the initial control board they had installed in these units didn't function properly and it was allowing flameouts to occur regularly. They went back to the drawing board and on the newest control board they installed a safety mechanism to prevent this. She said it needs a couple cooks on it to get the new controller to program correctly for it to settle in to that 225 and 250 range. After the 5th or 6th cook at those temps the control board learns and should hold steady at the desired temps. They also have been letting their logistics folks know that 1150 owners want them to take into consideration adding more temperature settings (275 pleeeeeeeeeease) and that their team is pitching that idea around. Whether it actually happens or not and they push out a firmware update to allow it to function like that is not at this time certain.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the warranty department and they sure have had quite a few people reach out about this temp control issue at 225 and 250. She said that the initial control board they had installed in these units didn't function properly and it was allowing flameouts to occur regularly. They went back to the drawing board and on the newest control board they installed a safety mechanism to prevent this. She said it needs a couple cooks on it to get the new controller to program correctly for it to settle in to that 225 and 250 range. After the 5th or 6th cook at those temps the control board learns and should hold steady at the desired temps. They also have been letting their logistics folks know that 1150 owners want them to take into consideration adding more temperature settings (275 pleeeeeeeeeease) and that their team is pitching that idea around. Whether it actually happens or not and they push out a firmware update to allow it to function like that is not at this time certain.
Well that is some news at least. But as far as walking the temp down. It can’t be done. I tried it right away. When I couldn’t get it to set at 275 I went ahead with 300. Once it was at 300 for about 20 minutes I decided to dial it down, it immediately went to 250. No matter what I tried it wouldn’t work.

Srminosky

Reaction score
I got told similar, which I’m not a smart man but my Pittboss “learning” sounded suspect but I will play the game. They also offered me a return authorization being I have owned it less than 30 days (could have damaged temp probe) but my local Lowe’s has no more in stock so that’s that.

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a conversation with Pit Boss rep not a support person today regarding the new PID controller and the new WiFi controller as I have received a quite a few private messages on it. I asked him if they are going to update the firmware for 275 and he said if the controller could do 275 they would already have it available on the controller.

He said they had a few request for it, but it is not up to Pit Boss to do it so that tells me that it is up to the controller manufacture. My understanding that the controller is not designed to have a temp select of 275. It is most likely due to the chip design and RTD temp on the controller board.

I did state that it makes no sense to have a PID and a Non-PID digital controller and not have it to set your temp at 5 degree increments like other pellet grill manufacture and the response was they are looking into it. I wanted to say does a 5 degree increment controller increase the price of the grill??? It is software correct so folks that is the latest and I am working on Pit Boss on this so stay tuned.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
I had a conversation with Pit Boss rep not a support person today regarding the new PID controller and the new WiFi controller as I have received a quite a few private messages on it. I asked him if they are going to update the firmware for 275 and he said if the controller could do 275 they would already have it available on the controller.

He said they had a few request for it, but it is not up to Pit Boss to do it so that tells me that it is up to the controller manufacture. My understanding that the controller is not designed to have a temp select of 275. It is most likely due to the chip design and RTD temp on the controller board.

I did state that it makes no sense to have a PID and a Non-PID digital controller and not have it to set your temp at 5 degree increments like other pellet grill manufacture and the response was they are looking into it. I wanted to say does a 5 degree increment controller increase the price of the grill??? It is software correct so folks that is the latest and I am working on Pit Boss on this so stay tuned.
Definitely want to see where this goes. Would you advise everyone that has this particular grill file some sort of complaint with pitboss in case there is a fix in the future past the 30 days?

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely want to see where this goes. Would you advise everyone that has this particular grill file some sort of complaint with pitboss in case there is a fix in the future past the 30 days?
It might help or they might just sit on it. I believe that Pit Boss is doing everything they could and my big thing is they should done some research on what the consumer wants and there expectations.

Since Pit Boss did not design or manufacture the controller they are relying on the manufacture which we just have to see what happens. Iall fairness my Yoder I can adjust by 5 degrees, but I always use 180, 200, 225, 250, 275, 300 , 350, and 400 I assume a lot of smokers do the same. It just I am shocked that Pit Boss digital controller is not adjustable by 5 degrees it seems to be a waste of a design..

Wild Bill

Reaction score
It might help or they might just sit on it. I believe that Pit Boss is doing everything they could and my big thing is they should done some research on what the consumer wants and there expectations.

Since Pit Boss did not design or manufacture the controller they are relying on the manufacture which we just have to see what happens. Iall fairness my Yoder I can adjust by 5 degrees, but I always use 180, 200, 225, 250, 275, 300 , 350, and 400 I assume a lot of smokers do the same. It just I am shocked that Pit Boss digital controller is not adjustable by 5 degrees it seems to be a waste of a design..
After ready your post and asking my question, I decided to send them my complaint anyway. The more they here of the same complaint, possibly something will get done. I’m attaching a link to ask your opinion. I might start another thread to see what other’s opinion would be also.

Srminosky

Reaction score
After ready your post and asking my question, I decided to send them my complaint anyway. The more they here of the same complaint, possibly something will get done. I’m attaching a link to ask your opinion. I might start another thread to see what other’s opinion would be also.
As stated in the video it will void the warranty but if you are beyond the warranty period why not.....

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Sending them a complaint is fine...I hope it helps.

I have a Rec-Tec controller on my Pit Boss now and it works great. The only problem is Rec-Tec has quit selling controllers to non Rec-Tec owners.

TBH I would buy this controller below if you want to change your controller. I had a savannah stoker controller and it was the best investment to my Pro Series 1100 then I bought a Yoder 640 pellet grill. So I sold the Svannah controller which then I should have kept so I bought a Rec-Tec controller to see how it performs.

Srminosky

Reaction score
Sending them a complaint is fine...I hope it helps.

I have a Rec-Tec controller on my Pit Boss now and it works great. The only problem is Rec-Tec has quit selling controllers to non Rec-Tec owners.

TBH I would buy this controller below if you want to change your controller. I had a savannah stoker controller and it was the best investment to my Pro Series 1100 then I bought a Yoder 640 pellet grill. So I sold the Svannah controller which then I should have kept so I bought a Rec-Tec controller to see how it performs.

This appears to display vertical, having a horizontal control area did you just mount sideways?

Wild Bill

Reaction score
This appears to display vertical, having a horizontal control area did you just mount sideways?
I contacted a YouTuber by the name of BBQ with Mazie. She installed a new temp controller on her grill. I’m waiting to hear back from her as to how well it worked. Y’all might look up her videos. And I also want to say as I’ve stated before, I’m not a big tech guy. So needing it connected to my phone is not a have to for me.

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
nope I had to do some modification to the hopper box to fit the Savannah Stoker.
I contacted a YouTuber by the name of BBQ with Mazie. She installed a new temp controller on her grill. I’m waiting to hear back from her as to how well it worked. Y’all might look up her videos. And I also want to say as I’ve stated before, I’m not a big tech guy. So needing it connected to my phone is not a have to for me.

That is the Non-PID version of the controller with WiFi and it does not do 275 and 325.

Swisher

Reaction score
I started having problems holding temp at 200, 225 and 250 last week. Up until then the controller held temps great. Called Pitboss and they are sending me a new control board. I also did the recommended 3 burn offs running up to 350 for 40 minutes each time then on the 3rd drop the temp setting to 250 and 225 to see it will hold, it didn't.

Matt5311

Reaction score
I purchased my first smoker, a Pitboss 1150 Pro Series from Lowe’s. I had the same issues, couldn’t hold temp at 200, 225, or 250. I tried 3 different cooks all with the same result. I called customer service and they said it could be a controller in which the unit was back ordered and they didn’t know when they would have available. so I was still within my return policy at Lowe’s and didn’t want to deal with it and ended up returning it. I was so excited to get this smoker as my first and it totally let me down!

I haven’t given up just yet on Pitboss, I decided to buy the Laredo 1000 from Walmart. So far so good, holds temps just fine and it’s a great design and shape, it’s a Very efficient use of space! Similar features to the 1150, but a notch better as it has the option of 275 degrees and I love tbe dome light inside of the barrel!

Good luck with everyone’s 1150, I hope Pitboss fixes the issue ASAP!!!

Stay tuned for more updates...

Matt

dcbeltran

Reaction score
I purchased my first smoker, a Pitboss 1150 Pro Series from Lowe’s. I had the same issues, couldn’t hold temp at 200, 225, or 250. I tried 3 different cooks all with the same result. I called customer service and they said it could be a controller in which the unit was back ordered and they didn’t know when they would have available. so I was still within my return policy at Lowe’s and didn’t want to deal with it and ended up returning it. I was so excited to get this smoker as my first and it totally let me down!

I haven’t given up just yet on Pitboss, I decided to buy the Laredo 1000 from Walmart. So far so good, holds temps just fine and it’s a great design and shape, it’s a Very efficient use of space! Similar features to the 1150, but a notch better as it has the option of 275 degrees and I love tbe dome light inside of the barrel!

Good luck with everyone’s 1150, I hope Pitboss fixes the issue ASAP!!!

Stay tuned for more updates...

Matt
Did you have to clean the grill to return to Lowes?

dcbeltran

Reaction score
Probably will be better to call, I opened a case 3 weeks ago and no response. Called and was given a response but sounds like a canned response.
Same issues an opened a case online. Guess I will call them to see what they tell me. Just bought it last week at Lowes, returning it seems like a pain in the butt since I had it delivered.