1150 Temp Issues

Elwood2083

Reaction score
Just bought Pittboss 1150 Pro at lowes. Hits 200 ok. Hits 300 and above ok. 225, 250, display says temp falls to 190-198. Wont go to temps in 200 range. Can set to 300, will move right up to 300. Drop back to 250 set and it falls to 190ish. Also fan runs all the time? That may be normal.

Any advice?

I use pittboss pellets

Just bought Pittboss 1150 Pro at lowes. Hits 200 ok. Hits 300 and above ok. 225, 250, display says temp falls to 190-198. Wont go to temps in 200 range. Can set to 300, will move right up to 300. Drop back to 250 set and it falls to 190ish. Also fan runs all the time? That may be normal.

Any advice?

I use pittboss pellets
I am not familiar on how Pit Boss design their PID controller. It sounds like there might an issue with the software when you set it to 225 and 250 so I would call Pit Boss and explain it to them as this might be a known issue.

I am having the same issue. Set for 225, and it never goes above 200.

I just got the 1150 Pro Series and am having the same problem. The displayed temp for the cooking chamber is around 60-80 degrees cooler using a calibrated thermometer in the cooking chamber. Very little smoke. Meat probes seem to be right on. I was pulling my hair out smoking turkey for a “practice” dinner. Temp was set at 250 and actual chamber temp was 190. Bumped setting up to 350 and it was still around 290. What are we to do. Trying it again tonight with some beef tenderloin to see what happens.

My recommendation is to give Pit Boss a call as they may have a fix for it.

I just got the 1150 Pro Series and am having the same problem. The displayed temp for the cooking chamber is around 60-80 degrees cooler using a calibrated thermometer in the cooking chamber. Very little smoke. Meat probes seem to be right on. I was pulling my hair out smoking turkey for a “practice” dinner. Temp was set at 250 and actual chamber temp was 190. Bumped setting up to 350 and it was still around 290. What are we to do. Trying it again tonight with some beef tenderloin to see what happens.
I am also having this exact problemm with the Pro Series 820. I have been in contact with the manufacturer. They have shipped new internal probes and a control board. Going to try yet another internal probe this afternoon. I suspect that what we are dealing with is a design issue. There may not be a fix other than compensate by selecting a higher temperature.

I spoke with Danson’s rep Andrew tonight as the grill is having the same issue and he agreed that there is an issue in the PID board or possibly the internal thermometer. Probably the board but they will send both, which are on back order. I will keep on over-temping the set temp to achieve the correct actual temp until it arrives. Then to do the install. I have done replacements before on my 820D and not difficult, but it’s aggravating to have a brand new grill that I have to spend time to work on. Wait time on hold was about 8 min and Andrew was quick and helpful. Andew didn’t see much about this issue and I informed him about this forum and he replied that the unit is a very new release. So if you’re having issues, call the “Do Not Return” number on the card and they can make it a known problem and correct it.

Any advice?

I use pittboss pellets
We bought the combo last Winter, I kinda had a temp control problem but the other direction. Called PitBoss - I HAD warranty registered it - and they toot sweet sent out a new temp probe. The temp probe took care of the problem. The other thing is, what's the ambient temp and the direct sunlight condition on the unit? I live in Baja AZ and in the summer time, if I wait until the pm to start a smoke, the temp will go WAY above what I have it set for mainly because the sun is directly on the barrel and the ambient temp is, typically during the day, around 110 F. The OTHER thing I learned - pay more attention to the thermometer in the top of the barrel. I generally smoke most of my meats on the top rack and I rely on that mechanical temperature gauge to give me the true picture. But if you're trying to smoke to 300 and the outside temp is way coolish, the digital thermom may have to struggle to get it up there, so to speak. ALSO, it does take a bit to break the unit in. AND keeping the pellet box, the one with the igniter? Keeping THAT cleaned up is critical to accurate temp and efficient burn on the pellets. I've learned the more challenging way. It's a beast and much like tending to a toddler still in diapers, but it's worth every effort. Live long and enjoy your smokin'.

I am also having this exact problemm with the Pro Series 820. I have been in contact with the manufacturer. They have shipped new internal probes and a control board. Going to try yet another internal probe this afternoon. I suspect that what we are dealing with is a design issue. There may not be a fix other than compensate by selecting a higher temperature.
If you go on YouTube, it seems that the control board has some issues. There are instructionals on YouTube that show you how to replace the control board, although the vids may be about older models.

This is my first post but have been using an Austin XL for three years. I just purchased an 1150 Pro Series and was hoping that the temp swings were gone. I practiced all day with the different temp setting and was not happy at first. So I went back to my original setup I did on my Austin XL. First I removed that damn diffuser plate located under the drip pan. I believe that this traps air during the convection process of circulation of air. I then placed pieces of paper towel stuffed into the area that holds the internal temp probe. I then re started the grill and let warm up. Set temp to 225 and let the grill stabilize to that temp. The temp held for an hour with no fluctuating at all. I then tested this through the temp ranges and it holds perfect temps once stabilized. Try this out guys it won't cost you anything and you will be so much happier with the results.

Any luck?

This is my first post but have been using an Austin XL for three years. I just purchased an 1150 Pro Series and was hoping that the temp swings were gone. I practiced all day with the different temp setting and was not happy at first. So I went back to my original setup I did on my Austin XL. First I removed that damn diffuser plate located under the drip pan. I believe that this traps air during the convection process of circulation of air. I then placed pieces of paper towel stuffed into the area that holds the internal temp probe. I then re started the grill and let warm up. Set temp to 225 and let the grill stabilize to that temp. The temp held for an hour with no fluctuating at all. I then tested this through the temp ranges and it holds perfect temps once stabilized. Try this out guys it won't cost you anything and you will be so much happier with the results.

The diffuser may or may not help everyone as outside temp and wind along with other factors. I have done so many experiments with the diffuser and not the diffuser at times I get good results and the next I do not. I even had a local machine build a 10 gauge steel version of the diffuser on which it did not help out at all. Pellet grills are going to give you that swing even the $1200 - $1500 pellet grills will fluctuate

I have the 500 lxw and my door Guage reeds 40 degrees lower than the digital display temp is that normal. Which one do I go by??? Help

Back