1150 Temp Issues

That seemed to work. I was cooling a brisket and went in and set the recipe to 250 for an 1hr since I was close to be doing but it looks like it dropped the temp from 300 to 248 and it's holding.
Sucks that we have to do that but for now until the come out with a fix I can live with that.
Well that was short lived. Will call them back saying that setting the recipe option doesn't work. Debating whether to wait to suck it up and wait for a fix or just give up and return it.

Called. Basically told me to return to Lowe’s if I am not happy.
Also said it will be a few weeks or a few months for them to fix this temp issue...

They told me tonight that they are not working on a firmware update at this time. I've tried every fix that they've recommended and nothing has worked. Gone through a lot of pellets with the 5 burn offs and raising the temperature up and then back down for it to not hold. Really not happy with pitboss as a company right now. I had an austin xl that worked good I wish I wouldn't have sold it to buy this lol. Live and learn I guess.

They told me tonight that they are not working on a firmware update at this time. I've tried every fix that they've recommended and nothing has worked. Gone through a lot of pellets with the 5 burn offs and raising the temperature up and then back down for it to not hold. Really not happy with pitboss as a company right now. I had an austin xl that worked good I wish I wouldn't have sold it to buy this lol. Live and learn I guess.
To bad lemon laws don’t apply to pellet grills

To bad lemon laws don’t apply to pellet grills
I know. It sucks because this grill could be the best on the market in it's price range. The construction is great and it looks awesome. The app could use a little work but it's still cool. If only I could smoke on it.

I know. It sucks because this grill could be the best on the market in it's price range. The construction is great and it looks awesome. The app could use a little work but it's still cool. If only I could smoke on it.
I totally agree! Going to hold mine until the 80th day in hopes they fix the issues. Then I’m looking elsewhere. I’m half tempted to swap the electronics out, I know will void the warranty but that’s really my only 2 options at this point.

I totally agree! Going to hold mine until the 80th day in hopes they fix the issues. Then I’m looking elsewhere. I’m half tempted to swap the electronics out, I know will void the warranty but that’s really my only 2 options at this point.
I would hold on to mine but I leave for military training soon and won't be back til May. Don't want my 90 days to be up while I'm gone. I trust pitboss will eventually fix the issue I just really want to do some low and slow cooking.

I would hold on to mine but I leave for military training soon and won't be back til May. Don't want my 90 days to be up while I'm gone. I trust pitboss will eventually fix the issue I just really want to do some low and slow cooking.
It will go low and slow just will take a lot longer and if your about to push out for training return it before departing and repurchase it when you return. Hopefully the fix will be out by then.

I started having problems holding temp at 200, 225 and 250 last week. Up until then the controller held temps great. Called Pitboss and they are sending me a new control board. I also did the recommended 3 burn offs running up to 350 for 40 minutes each time then on the 3rd drop the temp setting to 250 and 225 to see it will hold, it didn't.
Did u ever get the new controller and if so did it fix the issue?

This is a video I found on youtube that I'm going to try and see if it works on my 1150 PS. Sounds like some good info

While watching that video that mickelp posted I went through all the comments and saw someone mention a FB page where folks were removing the temp cover on the pit and having success with it holding low temps after that. Seems like an easy try and it's only 2 screws. If it doesn't work it can easily be put back on without losing warranty. Has anyone done this? I will give it a try this weekend...

1st result;
So I removed it..Went to cook steaks as an early test. Turned it on to 350, Then I set the temp to 225. I wanted to see if it would drop and hold the temp. Looks like it did it and was actually keeping it there. Temp would drop down to 198 and then push back up to 225 so it looks like the PID is trying to learn. After I reached the internal temps of my steaks I had to quit the experiment so I could sear them. But sounds promising. I will try and do something else today and tomorrow if the weather hold up.

Last edited:
Has anyone done this? Pit Boss told me to do this and it would take care of my issues with low temps....From Pit Boss "If you're having issues with the grill holding temp on the lower settings, there is a 3 step burn off process we'd have you do. If after this you're still having issues, please let us know as we will have a plan in place to reprogram the board in just a few days. If you do this in a single day, expect it to take about 5 hours. Set the grill directly to 350° instead of Smoke and run it at that temp for 40 minutes. After that, drop the grill down to 200° and let it run for an additional 40 minutes. Shut the grill down and let it cool down. After that, turn the grill back on to 350° for another 40 minutes, then down to 225° for 40 minutes and shut it down again after that. Then start up to 350° for a final 40 minutes, then down to 250° for 40 minutes. After that's been done, the board should "learn" from that and your temps may be more in line. This will take a bit of time, but there have been quite a few people who've stated this works very well for them".

Has anyone done this? Pit Boss told me to do this and it would take care of my issues with low temps....From Pit Boss "If you're having issues with the grill holding temp on the lower settings, there is a 3 step burn off process we'd have you do. If after this you're still having issues, please let us know as we will have a plan in place to reprogram the board in just a few days. If you do this in a single day, expect it to take about 5 hours. Set the grill directly to 350° instead of Smoke and run it at that temp for 40 minutes. After that, drop the grill down to 200° and let it run for an additional 40 minutes. Shut the grill down and let it cool down. After that, turn the grill back on to 350° for another 40 minutes, then down to 225° for 40 minutes and shut it down again after that. Then start up to 350° for a final 40 minutes, then down to 250° for 40 minutes. After that's been done, the board should "learn" from that and your temps may be more in line. This will take a bit of time, but there have been quite a few people who've stated this works very well for them".
Did you try it and did it work?

Ok as most posts state the temp can be an issue. As in too low. I'm going to try to relocate the probe higher away from the element and see if that works. In thinking it will. I smoke jerky and salmon so I don't usually need anything over 250-300F. But even getting to 300 can be an issue. My turkey had to get moved to the oven this xmas. If moving the probe doesn't work I'll invest in a new oven one.

Latest Discussions

Back