Winter storage

pheasant16

Reaction score
Here in ND is gets pretty chilly these months. Did a butt yesterday with goal of finishing the butt
and emptying the hopper. Left for supper with meat temp about 190 degrees, got home couple hours
later with smoker reading 45 and meat reading 170. Accomplished both goals.
Never got a final temp on meat, pulled apart just fine so must have been close.
Anyway, need to put a few pellets in to burn junk off plates and grates. Thanks Mike for heads on on pellets at Sams Club.
Will pellets absorb any moisture over winter storage so just add a few and let them empty again or fill it up and store when done
burning off yesterday's project?

The best way to store them is 5 gallon buckets but 40 pounds would need 2 buckets . Sometimes I just use a clothes pin to keep the bags tight. This is Florida so humidity high all year round and I have a relative humidity gauge in my shed. Checked it today, was 70%. Just don't leave pellets in the hopper for a long period of time and keep the grill covered. Should be fine in the cold.

Here in ND is gets pretty chilly these months. Did a butt yesterday with goal of finishing the butt
and emptying the hopper. Left for supper with meat temp about 190 degrees, got home couple hours
later with smoker reading 45 and meat reading 170. Accomplished both goals.
Never got a final temp on meat, pulled apart just fine so must have been close.
Anyway, need to put a few pellets in to burn junk off plates and grates. Thanks Mike for heads on on pellets at Sams Club.
Will pellets absorb any moisture over winter storage so just add a few and let them empty again or fill it up and store when done
burning off yesterday's project?
pellets will only absorb moisture unless actual moisture gets on them. I have a separate building/slash garage so I am not to worry about it as long as your pellets in a build or out of the elements than you are fine.

Our humidity runs < 20% not too concerned about it. Will just not fill the hopper before putting it away.

Back