When you empty the hopper, do you need to empty the auger also?

bobarue

Reaction score
When you empty the hopper, do you need to also empty the auger? I read on one of Pit Boss' links that during the shutdown procedure to burn it off at 350 for 10-15 minutes then turn the temp down to 200 for another 5 minutes to allow the auger to clear and burn the remaining pellets. I am totally unsure what they meant by that. If you lower the temp the auger should stop plus at this point there are pellets in the hopper. We have a lot of humidity here in Louisiana and I will be emptying the hopper probably every time I finish. If indeed I should empty the auger what is the procedure to clear the auger? Thanks! I did ask this question to Pit Boss but I haven't received an answer and forget trying to call them. I sat on hold for 45 minutes once.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I live in NW Florida so we have the same environment you do. I normally leave pellets in the auger. Have been using Pit Boss for about 2 years and have never had an issue with pellets getting wet or expanding from humidity. I keep both my PB grills covered when not in use and stored on the carport.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobarue

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, You empty the hopper but not the auger? Which model do you own? I bought the cover with the grill and mine (Pro Series 1100) will sit covered under a covered patio.

Last edited:

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, You empty the hopper but not the auger? Which model do you own? I bought the cover with the grill and mine (Pro Series 1100) will sit covered under a covered patio.

you are fine as long as it is covered and no rain get inside the hopper.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the older PB 340 pellet grill and a Copperhead Series 3 vertical. I do not always remove the pellets from the hopper, just sometimes. In fact I had not used the vertical smoker in 2 weeks. Had over 20 pounds of pellets in it when I used it today and no issues. Just depends on what kind of mood I am in after a cook but I have left them in the hopper and removed them.

bobarue

Reaction score
Thanks both to both Dave and Mike. Do you all have a favorite pellet? I bought about 5 bags so far 2 from Lowe's and 3 from Walmart. Lowe's was the competition blend which doesn't say what the blend is but I am pretty sure it's Maple, Hickory and Cherry and the other was the Apple blend. Walmart my wife picked up the Competition Blend, Classic Blend and I found the Hickory Blend a day a later. Every place is sort of lean on supplies over here I guess you all are seeing the same in your area.

HuntJ08

Reaction score
I started with competition blend
Currently using equal mix of apple, hickory, and charcoal (to mimick true grilled flavor)

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly Competition for me but I have used all the PB blends from Walmart. Charcoal is good too. On my latest smoke this weekend I used Cuiseart Maple Bourbon pellets and those are good too. I finally saw Kingsford pellets at Winn Dixie of all places. Didn't get them because I currently have plenty of pellets but will check back there when I get low.

Sparky

Reaction score
I try to leave as little in my hopper as possible. I have my KC Combo covered when not in use. I am using mesquite pellets from Pit Boss.

Trelle

Reaction score
I leave them in my personal grill the KC Combo. Now the Austin XL I use at work that thing has never been cleaned or cleaned out lol. I work in the oilfield and that thing just sits in the weather 24/7 365 and we’ve never had problems with that either

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks both to both Dave and Mike. Do you all have a favorite pellet? I bought about 5 bags so far 2 from Lowe's and 3 from Walmart. Lowe's was the competition blend which doesn't say what the blend is but I am pretty sure it's Maple, Hickory and Cherry and the other was the Apple blend. Walmart my wife picked up the Competition Blend, Classic Blend and I found the Hickory Blend a day a later. Every place is sort of lean on supplies over here I guess you all are seeing the same in your area.

Lumber Jack is now my favorite pellets as I have tried everything under the sun accept for a few. Lumber Jack is producing better smoke and better heat consistency. I just bought a bag of B & B comp as it was on sale and I will try them as soon as my Lumber jack competition is used up in my hopper.

I have a feeling that the Lumber Jack will win this battle.

Trelle

Reaction score
Lumber Jack is now my favorite pellets as I have tried everything under the sun accept for a few. Lumber Jack is producing better smoke and better heat consistency. I just bought a bag of B & B comp as it was on sale and I will try them as soon as my Lumber jack competition is used up in my hopper.

Dave what store have you found the LJ pellets at I’ve heard good things from a lot of people around but haven’t found a store that sold them

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave what store have you found the LJ pellets at I’ve heard good things from a lot of people around but haven’t found a store that sold them

Dicks sporting goods plus Rural King carries them as well if they are in your area.

bobarue

Reaction score
Whenever I feel the need to empty the auger on my Lockhart, I use the "Prime" button.
OK, I am going to ask a stupid question, you use the Prime button but you are burning the pellets to accomplish this right?

JeepSmoker

Reaction score
No question is stupid...maybe stupid answers tho! Yes, with the Lockhart, it's either on or off and I'm burning the pellets out. I'm not sure about the other models without the PID controller. I've only done it a couple of times.

spudthegreater

Reaction score

I have the 820 and have found Lumberjack char hickory to be the best, little to no dust, great consistent smoke and heat.

Latest Discussions