When you empty the hopper, do you need to empty the auger also?

bobarue

Reaction score
When you empty the hopper, do you need to also empty the auger? I read on one of Pit Boss' links that during the shutdown procedure to burn it off at 350 for 10-15 minutes then turn the temp down to 200 for another 5 minutes to allow the auger to clear and burn the remaining pellets. I am totally unsure what they meant by that. If you lower the temp the auger should stop plus at this point there are pellets in the hopper. We have a lot of humidity here in Louisiana and I will be emptying the hopper probably every time I finish. If indeed I should empty the auger what is the procedure to clear the auger? Thanks! I did ask this question to Pit Boss but I haven't received an answer and forget trying to call them. I sat on hold for 45 minutes once.

I live in NW Florida so we have the same environment you do. I normally leave pellets in the auger. Have been using Pit Boss for about 2 years and have never had an issue with pellets getting wet or expanding from humidity. I keep both my PB grills covered when not in use and stored on the carport.

Thanks Mike, You empty the hopper but not the auger? Which model do you own? I bought the cover with the grill and mine (Pro Series 1100) will sit covered under a covered patio.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, You empty the hopper but not the auger? Which model do you own? I bought the cover with the grill and mine (Pro Series 1100) will sit covered under a covered patio.

you are fine as long as it is covered and no rain get inside the hopper.

I have the older PB 340 pellet grill and a Copperhead Series 3 vertical. I do not always remove the pellets from the hopper, just sometimes. In fact I had not used the vertical smoker in 2 weeks. Had over 20 pounds of pellets in it when I used it today and no issues. Just depends on what kind of mood I am in after a cook but I have left them in the hopper and removed them.

Thanks both to both Dave and Mike. Do you all have a favorite pellet? I bought about 5 bags so far 2 from Lowe's and 3 from Walmart. Lowe's was the competition blend which doesn't say what the blend is but I am pretty sure it's Maple, Hickory and Cherry and the other was the Apple blend. Walmart my wife picked up the Competition Blend, Classic Blend and I found the Hickory Blend a day a later. Every place is sort of lean on supplies over here I guess you all are seeing the same in your area.

I started with competition blend
Currently using equal mix of apple, hickory, and charcoal (to mimick true grilled flavor)

Mostly Competition for me but I have used all the PB blends from Walmart. Charcoal is good too. On my latest smoke this weekend I used Cuiseart Maple Bourbon pellets and those are good too. I finally saw Kingsford pellets at Winn Dixie of all places. Didn't get them because I currently have plenty of pellets but will check back there when I get low.

I try to leave as little in my hopper as possible. I have my KC Combo covered when not in use. I am using mesquite pellets from Pit Boss.

I leave them in my personal grill the KC Combo. Now the Austin XL I use at work that thing has never been cleaned or cleaned out lol. I work in the oilfield and that thing just sits in the weather 24/7 365 and we’ve never had problems with that either

Thanks both to both Dave and Mike. Do you all have a favorite pellet? I bought about 5 bags so far 2 from Lowe's and 3 from Walmart. Lowe's was the competition blend which doesn't say what the blend is but I am pretty sure it's Maple, Hickory and Cherry and the other was the Apple blend. Walmart my wife picked up the Competition Blend, Classic Blend and I found the Hickory Blend a day a later. Every place is sort of lean on supplies over here I guess you all are seeing the same in your area.

Lumber Jack is now my favorite pellets as I have tried everything under the sun accept for a few. Lumber Jack is producing better smoke and better heat consistency. I just bought a bag of B & B comp as it was on sale and I will try them as soon as my Lumber jack competition is used up in my hopper.

I have a feeling that the Lumber Jack will win this battle.

Lumber Jack is now my favorite pellets as I have tried everything under the sun accept for a few. Lumber Jack is producing better smoke and better heat consistency. I just bought a bag of B & B comp as it was on sale and I will try them as soon as my Lumber jack competition is used up in my hopper.

I have a feeling that the Lumber Jack will win this battle.

Dave what store have you found the LJ pellets at I’ve heard good things from a lot of people around but haven’t found a store that sold them

Dave what store have you found the LJ pellets at I’ve heard good things from a lot of people around but haven’t found a store that sold them

Dicks sporting goods plus Rural King carries them as well if they are in your area.

Latest Discussions

Back