The stall

Irishmoe

Reaction score
Hi,
We are very new to smoking. I hope this is the right tab to ask questions if not I do apologize. Can someone explain the stall to me? It sounds to me like when the meat reaches a certain temperature and doesn't reacher higher. Is this a fair assumption. I just ordered some peach paper as from what I am reading that helps. Last night we smoked a center cut pork roast and it came out awesome. They did put it on a little late in the day around noon time. It was finally ready to eat probably about 6:30 ish., Came out awesome but trying to get a better handle on timing. It sounds like even with planning early smoking may take a tad longer than your think dinner hour will be. Over the weekend we are doing ribs, chicken and possibly a bottom of the round roast that I picked up.
Thanks,
Maureen

Hi,
We are very new to smoking. I hope this is the right tab to ask questions if not I do apologize. Can someone explain the stall to me? It sounds to me like when the meat reaches a certain temperature and doesn't reacher higher. Is this a fair assumption. I just ordered some peach paper as from what I am reading that helps. Last night we smoked a center cut pork roast and it came out awesome. They did put it on a little late in the day around noon time. It was finally ready to eat probably about 6:30 ish., Came out awesome but trying to get a better handle on timing. It sounds like even with planning early smoking may take a tad longer than your think dinner hour will be. Over the weekend we are doing ribs, chicken and possibly a bottom of the round roast that I picked up.
Thanks,
Maureen
HI Maureen, great question. I had to google this because it’s new to me. Lot’s of good info and explanations out there.
I’ve not had this happen on my cooks, at least that I’ve noticed during my long cooks.
But as I go along, I have been leaning towards planning on a longer rather than shorter smoking session especially for larger cuts of meat.
If the product gets done ahead of schedule, really no big deal, just wrap, insulate and let it rest until you are ready. So far that’s worked for me.

My 2 cents is as the fat begins to render it acts similar to evaporative cooling keeping the meat temperature from climbing as fast as it otherwise would have. I wrap at around 160, which helps push it thru the stall.
That is exactly what is happening, fat and tough cologne is breaking down and you just have to wait it out.
Throw the clock away when your smoking, go by temperature and tenderness and you'll never go wrong.

Hi,
Thanks,
Maureen

Smoking is a little difficult and watching youtube videos helps with timing but only gets you close. Nothing to do about the stall but wait it out. After a year and a half of using the smoker I can guess it pretty close now. Always start early if you can. Resting the food after the cook always helps and warming it back up in the oven doesn't affect it much. As for the butcher paper, I like it better than foil but foil seems to speed up the cook more.

The stall happens around 160 degrees on larger cuts of meat like a pork butt. Some wrap and some don't. I've heard wrapping is also referred to as a "Texas Crutch."

The stall will happen most often with larger cuts of meat, like pork butt. Ribs and chicken i've never noticed a stall. On my wsm a butt will cook for about 10 hrs at about 245 degrees. Every piece of meat will cook a little different so that's how I come up with about 10 hours. Wrapping will help push through the stall, I usually wrap between 165-170 on a butt. What I look for is color, if the color is right I'll wrap.

HI Maureen, great question. I had to google this because it’s new to me. Lot’s of good info and explanations out there.
I’ve not had this happen on my cooks, at least that I’ve noticed during my long cooks.
But as I go along, I have been leaning towards planning on a longer rather than shorter smoking session especially for larger cuts of meat.
If the product gets done ahead of schedule, really no big deal, just wrap, insulate and let it rest until you are ready. So far that’s worked for me.
Thanks Steve. All in all everything is tasting delicious and that is what it is all about. I took your advice and have been googling. Bought the pink butcher paper. Going to attempt a brisket over Memorial Day weekend :)

Back