Pro Series 1150 review

Good morning this is my first post but have been using an Austin XL for three years. I just purchased an 1150 Pro Series and was hoping that the temp swings were gone. I practiced all day with the different temp setting and was not happy at first. So I went back to my original setup I did on my Austin XL. First I removed that damn diffuser plate located under the drip pan. I believe that this traps air during the convection process of circulation of air. I then placed pieces of paper towel stuffed into the area that holds the internal temp probe. I then re started the grill and let warm up. Set temp to 225 and let the grill stabilize to that temp. The temp held for an hour with no fluctuating at all. I then tested this through the temp ranges and it holds perfect temps once stabilized. Try this out guys it won't cost you anything and you will be so much happier with the results.

They now have them at my Lowe's store. I'm there for something else but thought I would check. The lid is much heavier than the grill I have. No price listed.

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_122222829.jpg
    IMG_20201121_122222829.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 88
Just a quick update. Smoked a 3lb turkey breast yesterday at 225 for about 6 hours. I set the probe for 165 and kept using my hand held probe also. They were so close in temp. Usually 1 degree off if not exactly the same. Bird came out perfect. Not a single complaint as of yet.

Also wanted to let you guys and gals know. I went to Walmart today to get my shopping done for next week. Went down the cooking isle in the BBQ section. All I could find was a cover for the Austin XL. I bought it and it fits like a glove. Photos attached.

Attachments

• A0C642E1-7503-455B-B7B5-AF9CF427D13C.jpeg
    A0C642E1-7503-455B-B7B5-AF9CF427D13C.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 6D72F9A7-A65E-4F6C-8B2E-450D1E3EE6EA.jpeg
    6D72F9A7-A65E-4F6C-8B2E-450D1E3EE6EA.jpeg
    376.6 KB · Views: 45
Nice! Glad it fit! Our BBQ isle at Walmart is pretty bare now. No Pit Boss grills just Christmas stuff.

This is the first I have seen one of these on YouTube. Haven't watched it yet but in the process now and I thought others would like to see it as well with the new controller.

could you answer this for me looking to get a pellet like to know the differance from a pit boss 1050 Pro and the Navigator

The newer ones have a PID controller which works better to maintain temps. I think the Navigator has the regular controller.

They are not in Tennessee yet and I just tried to order one from Fresno, CA. and have it sent to my Lowes here in Nashville. They will not ship store to store on this product even knowing someone in Lowes Corp could not help me.

It looks like the West Coast is going to be the ones getting them. Let us know how it goes and let us know if you are getting the sudden temp change as some people are saying. Some are claiming they set the temp at 225 and then they check the app and the temp change to 325 on it's own. It is jumping 100 degrees after 30 minutes on it own.

Also let us know how long it takes to reach temp you set it at for example if you set it to 250. How much time does it take to reach 250 as two owners are stating that it takes about 30 minutes to reach your set temp. For PID controller that is crazy it should not take that long, my Yoder if you set it to 250 it reaches 250 within 10 minutes.
we have them in Tx

Picked up one of the Pro 1150s up about three weeks ago in Sarasota, FL.

This is my first time using a pellet grill; had been using a homemade vertical drum smoker, but decided I wanted something that held temps a bit better.

So far I'm pretty pleased. I've done burgers, jerky, and chicken drumsticks. Would have been more but the storms from the hurricane kind of slowed me down...

Temps seem to hold pretty well, it's easy to get going, and the cooks have all gone great. There is definitely a decent temp gradient between the left and right side; so have to bear that in mind.

My only complaints so far are the app and the removable burn pot.

The app is totally useless in my opinion; no persistent temp readings in notifications, the temp setting 'dial' is atrocious, and the temp notification was not working properly for me. I also had the app change my temp down to the Smoke setting once. All I can think is that I may have accidentally touched the on-screen 'dial' and changed it on accident. Since you don't see both your set temp unless changing it, I had no idea it was changed until I noticed my temps dropping. This was the last time I used the app. Won't use it again until it gets a heavy re-do.

The removable burn pot is a good idea, but the implementation could have been better. It comes out fine, but I have to basically beat it back into place. I've tried it with the grill warm still and totally cooled off and same issue both times. It's a minor inconvenience, and I could (and most likely will) fix it with a dremel but still annoying.

Getting a bird in a bath tomorrow to get ready to go on Thursday!

Picked up one of the Pro 1150s up about three weeks ago in Sarasota, FL.

This is my first time using a pellet grill; had been using a homemade vertical drum smoker, but decided I wanted something that held temps a bit better.

So far I'm pretty pleased. I've done burgers, jerky, and chicken drumsticks. Would have been more but the storms from the hurricane kind of slowed me down...

Temps seem to hold pretty well, it's easy to get going, and the cooks have all gone great. There is definitely a decent temp gradient between the left and right side; so have to bear that in mind.

My only complaints so far are the app and the removable burn pot.

The app is totally useless in my opinion; no persistent temp readings in notifications, the temp setting 'dial' is atrocious, and the temp notification was not working properly for me. I also had the app change my temp down to the Smoke setting once. All I can think is that I may have accidentally touched the on-screen 'dial' and changed it on accident. Since you don't see both your set temp unless changing it, I had no idea it was changed until I noticed my temps dropping. This was the last time I used the app. Won't use it again until it gets a heavy re-do.

The removable burn pot is a good idea, but the implementation could have been better. It comes out fine, but I have to basically beat it back into place. I've tried it with the grill warm still and totally cooled off and same issue both times. It's a minor inconvenience, and I could (and most likely will) fix it with a dremel but still annoying.

Getting a bird in a bath tomorrow to get ready to go on Thursday!
I noticed the same thing with the burn pot. Had to get on my knees to get it back in. As far as the app goes. I didn’t even bother downloading it. I’ve seen a few complaints so I thought I would just wait to see if they “Pitboss” makes any software changes or updates. Besides, my wife said I didn’t need another excuse to sit on my arse and do nothing. 😝

I think the Smoke It app is third party so I don't think Pit Boss can do anything about it. Maybe they should go with a different app?

They now have the Pro Series 1150 at my Lowes. Some one on Facebook said that there is new firmware coming soon for the Pro Series 1150 so I guess everyone just be patient. When it comes to the app it is designed for that controller as Smoke iT is the manufacture of the controller.

I am disappointed that you can change the degree by 5 degrees and there is no 275 on the new PID controller...what a shame.

They now have the Pro Series 1150 at my Lowes. Some one on Facebook said that there is new firmware coming soon for the Pro Series 1150 so I guess everyone just be patient. When it comes to the app it is designed for that controller as Smoke iT is the manufacture of the controller.

I am disappointed that you can change the degree by 5 degrees and there is no 275 on the new PID controller...what a shame.
Wonder if the new firmware will allow it? Doesn't the controller on the Lockhart adjust by 5? I think it does so I wonder why they don't have it on this one.

Interesting. I'll have to reach out to them and see if/how to upgrade the firmware when it releases. I'd assume there has to be some type of input on the control board for this.

Interesting. I'll have to reach out to them and see if/how to upgrade the firmware when it releases. I'd assume there has to be some type of input on the control board for this.
the firmware is updated over the WiFi, but do not hold me on the new firmware update as that was said on Facebook by someone as Pit Boss has not made any announcement at all on it.

Back