Pit Boss pro 1600 long preheat time.

The Sauce

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first burn off. And I'm currently in the process of bringing the grill up to 350° f. It's been over 40 minutes now and the grill has just now reached 300° f. The temperature is still slowly rising. Is it normal for it to take that long to preheat? The outside temperature is currently 64° f and a little breezy would that cause it to slowly heat up?

Yes, those new controllers are slow to reach temp so that sounds normal.

When you finally get to temp leave it there for a bit. Those controllers have to "learn" but once they do I hear they will reach temps faster and should figure itself out after a few cooks.

I don't have the 1600 so someone here that does should be able to help out more.

This might help as well, fast forward to about 5:45

Thank you for your quick reply. It did reach exactly 350° f after about an hour. And you may be right that it has a break-in period. I am very impressed with the fact that it's holding its temperature at exactly 350° f. There's also a firmware update that I might take advantage of. I'll have to send in the controller to have it updated.

Yes, those new controllers are slow to reach temp so that sounds normal.

When you finally get to temp leave it there for a bit. Those controllers have to "learn" but once they do I hear they will reach temps faster and should figure itself out after a few cooks.

I don't have the 1600 so someone here that does should be able to help out more.
I have the 1600. Mike is correct it does have to learn. Mine used to take what seemed like forever to heat up. Now it is a whole lot faster. I have never timed it but after a few cooks it definitely is quicker to heat up. Although keep in mind that the1600 has a massive chamber so it will take a bit longer to heat up compared to its smaller cousins.

If you don't have the new controller. Definitely call pitboss and ask for one. From what I have read on this forum they will send you one now without sending your old one in. You will notice a difference with the new controller.

If you don't have the new controller. Definitely call pitboss and ask for one. From what I have read on this forum they will send you one now without sending your old one in. You will notice a difference with the new controller.
I'm on hold with them now. I'll update how it goes with getting a new controller.

Hello people,, new here. new to smoking,new to pellet grills etc. new to everything in this space except eating.. Ive had my 1600 for about a month now, ive used it to smoke twice and to grill once. even a noob like me is noticing terrible heat up times and inconsistancies in the temperature. i assumed it was a condition of smokers until i started looking for answers. i see alot of folks having similar issues. with a new 1600 purchased in july is there an update for this model also? i dont have the 10 degree increments so i assume there is (hope).. anyway hit me back if you can help. im currently smoking on a 72 degree day. a couple small briskets and a turkey breast. I cant get the temmp to hold at 250 today, it wants to be in the 230ish range. it will go to 300 but takes awhile. when i dropped it back to 250 its went right back to the 230ish range... thanks in advance

also who should i call? pitboss or someone specifically about the controller

Hello people,, new here. new to smoking,new to pellet grills etc. new to everything in this space except eating.. Ive had my 1600 for about a month now, ive used it to smoke twice and to grill once. even a noob like me is noticing terrible heat up times and inconsistancies in the temperature. i assumed it was a condition of smokers until i started looking for answers. i see alot of folks having similar issues. with a new 1600 purchased in july is there an update for this model also? i dont have the 10 degree increments so i assume there is (hope).. anyway hit me back if you can help. im currently smoking on a 72 degree day. a couple small briskets and a turkey breast. I cant get the temmp to hold at 250 today, it wants to be in the 230ish range. it will go to 300 but takes awhile. when i dropped it back to 250 its went right back to the 230ish range... thanks in advance

I have the 1600 and had the same problem. I contacted pitboss and they sent me a new updated controller and a new temp probe . I have not had any issues since. Good luck.

Yes, call pit boss and they will send you the new controller. The swap is very easy. I did it to my 1600. Worked like a charm.

877 303 3134 option 2

I know its been awhile but since this post weve had supply chain disruptions from the Novid plandemic. if you belive in that sort of shyt. i finally finally got my new controller yesterday. installed today. ill be using it tomorrow on a 5lb whole chicken. ive tried using the older card with llimited success i hope this ones better,. I ran it up to 350 today after install new card and cleaned it. seemed ok. does anyone have real preheat times? it took about 36 minutes to get all the way up to 350 degress, is that seem normal or not? i realize im not going to smoke at those temps but its supposed to a multipurpose unit.. grilling,baking,smoking etc etc,,.. anyway hello again and looking forward to renewed smoking ideas

When you say you installed the be card, do you mean controller? As far as the preheat time, set temp a bit higher than you want it to be then dial it back to where you need it. The PID controller will learn as you use it more. Mine was slower when I first installed my new controller but after a few cooks it started to preheat quicker and hold temps better

yah i meant controller. ok, ill just give it the old "wait and see" stratagey. im fixing to fire it up and smoke a small chicken for dinner tonight. see how it goes.

during my run up to 350 yesterday it seemed to stall at 220 range for a bit but overall it seemed to keep marching up the scale all the way to 350. just took awhile. thanks for advices

Back