Pit Boss pro 1600 long preheat time.

The Sauce

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first burn off. And I'm currently in the process of bringing the grill up to 350° f. It's been over 40 minutes now and the grill has just now reached 300° f. The temperature is still slowly rising. Is it normal for it to take that long to preheat? The outside temperature is currently 64° f and a little breezy would that cause it to slowly heat up?

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, those new controllers are slow to reach temp so that sounds normal.

When you finally get to temp leave it there for a bit. Those controllers have to "learn" but once they do I hear they will reach temps faster and should figure itself out after a few cooks.

I don't have the 1600 so someone here that does should be able to help out more.

The Sauce

Reaction score
This might help as well, fast forward to about 5:45

Thank you for your quick reply. It did reach exactly 350° f after about an hour. And you may be right that it has a break-in period. I am very impressed with the fact that it's holding its temperature at exactly 350° f. There's also a firmware update that I might take advantage of. I'll have to send in the controller to have it updated.

ANT0407

Reaction score
Yes, those new controllers are slow to reach temp so that sounds normal.

When you finally get to temp leave it there for a bit. Those controllers have to "learn" but once they do I hear they will reach temps faster and should figure itself out after a few cooks.

I don't have the 1600 so someone here that does should be able to help out more.
I have the 1600. Mike is correct it does have to learn. Mine used to take what seemed like forever to heat up. Now it is a whole lot faster. I have never timed it but after a few cooks it definitely is quicker to heat up. Although keep in mind that the1600 has a massive chamber so it will take a bit longer to heat up compared to its smaller cousins.

ANT0407

Reaction score
If you don't have the new controller. Definitely call pitboss and ask for one. From what I have read on this forum they will send you one now without sending your old one in. You will notice a difference with the new controller.

The Sauce

Reaction score
If you don't have the new controller. Definitely call pitboss and ask for one. From what I have read on this forum they will send you one now without sending your old one in. You will notice a difference with the new controller.
I'm on hold with them now. I'll update how it goes with getting a new controller.

Latest Discussions