Noisy auger

Crunchie

Reaction score
Thanks for having me. Recently acquired a used 340 Tailgater. The auger makes a whirling noise when feeding the pellets, is this normal? Are the flights rubbing on the tube? TIA

Last edited:

Cowboy1955

Reaction score
Does it make a bumping noise at times? If it’s feeding pellets ok I wouldn’t worry about it. Just make sure you clean it after each use.

Crunchie

Reaction score
Can't say it makes a bumping noise. Just a whirling sound when the auger is turning but only lasts about 2 seconds and the auger keeps on turning.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Thanks for having me. Recently acquired a used 340 Tailgater. The auger makes a whirling noise when feeding the pellets, is this normal? Are the flights rubbing on the tube? TIA
Mine sounds kinda like a electric can opener . I consider that to be normal electric motor sounds

MKinHB

Staff member
Reaction score
My auger makes no sound, I have to look in the hopper and see the pellets move to make sure it's working at times, even when priming.
The bumping noise I get is when a pellet gets into a position that makes it get cut by the auger, the motor is not mounted so it floats and will make a clunk when this happens.