Noisy auger

Crunchie

Reaction score
Thanks for having me. Recently acquired a used 340 Tailgater. The auger makes a whirling noise when feeding the pellets, is this normal? Are the flights rubbing on the tube? TIA

Last edited:
Does it make a bumping noise at times? If it’s feeding pellets ok I wouldn’t worry about it. Just make sure you clean it after each use.

Can't say it makes a bumping noise. Just a whirling sound when the auger is turning but only lasts about 2 seconds and the auger keeps on turning.

Can't say it makes a bumping noise. Just a whirling sound when the auger is turning but only lasts about 2 seconds and the auger keeps on turning.
Don’t sweat it. It’ll be fine

My auger makes no sound, I have to look in the hopper and see the pellets move to make sure it's working at times, even when priming.
The bumping noise I get is when a pellet gets into a position that makes it get cut by the auger, the motor is not mounted so it floats and will make a clunk when this happens.

My auger makes no sound, I have to look in the hopper and see the pellets move to make sure it's working at times, even when priming.
The bumping noise I get is when a pellet gets into a position that makes it get cut by the auger, the motor is not mounted so it floats and will make a clunk when this happens.
Smoke Daddy makes an auger motor stabilizing bracket for this very reason.

Anyone call Pit Boss Tech Support to see if the noise is normal? Should be a simple shaded pole motor, which should be fairly quite.

Anyone call Pit Boss Tech Support to see if the noise is normal? Should be a simple shaded pole motor, which should be fairly quite.
Pretty sure it's not the motor. Its the auger as it wobbles very slightly in the auger tube to compensate for a pellet that might get caught under an auger blade or other potential jam issue. I remember a Traeger I had made the same sound but it was very rare.

Does it make a bumping noise at times? If it’s feeding pellets ok I wouldn’t worry about it. Just make sure you clean it after each use.
mine made a knocking noise first day. Pit boss sent me a new motor. After I installed new one I took cover off old one. There was a small piece of plastic in case which was getting in the gears. I cleaned it out and reinstalled and it works fine. Lucky the gears won't messed up.

mine made a knocking noise first day. Pit boss sent me a new motor. After I installed new one I took cover off old one. There was a small piece of plastic in case which was getting in the gears. I cleaned it out and reinstalled and it works fine. Lucky the gears won't messed up.
Awesome job!!
Roll that smoke 💨

Took it apart today. Turns out it's not the auger, it's the fan in line with the auger. Not sure but is this to cool the auger motor? The auger doesn't turn that fast for cooling does it? Anyway, it's rubbing up against a connector on the circuit board. The shaft is held by a hex screw with a nut, through the shaft. It's not a tight fit. There's a 1/4" difference in diameter beween the insert shaft and the outside shaft. No matter how tight I tightened the nut and screw, the shaft is still loose. Is this setup supposed to pivot in some way?
Strangely it does not show this fan in the parts schematic.
IMG_3289.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back