New Pitboss Grills App

Developed a little trick for the times your away and the cook finished earlier than expected. Before you leave the house set the controller to smoke and change the P setting to 6 or 7 as a “keep warm” setting. Then change it back to whatever temperature you had it at. You’ll have to experiment with your grill and see what temperatures your grill holds at the various P settings. Note the temperatures will vary a bit depending on ambient temperature. My grill will hold 170 on P6 at 40f. My pork butt finished up while we were out shopping and I just turned my grill control back down to smoke which is 180 on the new app and it held the perfect finished temperature in till I got home.

Last edited:
Developed a little trick for the times your away and the cook finished earlier than expected. Before you leave the house set the controller to smoke and change the P setting to 6 or 7 as a “keep warm” setting. Then change it back to whatever temperature you had it at. You’ll have to experiment with your grill and see what temperatures your grill holds at the various P settings. Note the temperatures will vary a bit depending on ambient temperature. My grill will hold 170 on P6 at 40f. My pork butt finished up while we were out shopping and I just turned my grill control back down to smoke which is 180 on the new app and it held the perfect finished temperature in till I got home.

App or no app the pit boss makes great brisket

Attachments

• A40543C8-6738-4B18-BBAD-CF09EE744AF9.jpeg
    A40543C8-6738-4B18-BBAD-CF09EE744AF9.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 95AFC1BC-29B6-4452-B6DA-81147338CE98.jpeg
    95AFC1BC-29B6-4452-B6DA-81147338CE98.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 7
Hello,
As you probably already know PitBoss have been launching their new App for Android and iOS devices!
I'm one of the app developer and I'd like to give you a quick list of issues/questions you might have and solutions/answers:

• I'm getting a lot of server errors or the app get stuck loading: Unfortunately we had some issues with our server just after launch that caused all these problems but they have been fixed and the app should be working fine now.
  • I'm not able to login or reset my password: Unfortunately the new app is completely separate from the old SmokeIT app; as such you will not be able to use the same account, but if you already have an account on pitboss-grills.com then you can use that one, or you can create a new account (even using the same credentials you have been using on SmokeIT).
  • The app doesn't see my grill: Make sure you have bluetooth enabled and (if using android) location enabled, also make sure you are close to the grill (I’d suggest within 5ft for this initial setup). Also if you own more than one grill, make sure only one is plugged in while adding them to the app.
  • Cannot connect my grill to WiFi network: If you cannot see your WiFi network on the app, first make sure you are not too far from your router, one way to do that is by staying with your phone next to your grill and see if you can connect to the WiFi network with your phone. If the WiFi network is in range but you still cannot see it listed there might be two possible reasons:
    1) there are other WiFi networks with a stronger signal that your grill is detecting, in this case you will still be able to connect by using the last option in the grill list that reads ">> Enter manually << and in this case you'll have to enter all details like the network name and the password manually.
    2) your WiFi network is configured to only work in the 5Ghz mode; the 5GHz mode is a "new" high performance mode that works great with devices that requires high bandwidth like laptops, phones or tablets, but is not ideal for IoT devices like your grill because it requires more power and more resources to be used so your grill will not be able to connect to a 5Ghz network, but don't despair, your router can be configured to work both in 5Ghz and 2.4GHz at the same time, leaving you the benefits of the high speed 5GHz and allowing you to connect many IoT devices, unfortunately the settings needed to be changed depends on your router, the easiest way to change those settings is probably to contact your provider and ask them to enable the dual band mode.
  • The App is asking me to update my grill, do I have to do it?: Yes you need to update your grill in order to control it with our new app, the update process is pretty simple and you only need to leave your phone close to your grill with the app open for 5 to 15 minutes (if you were able to connect the grill to wifi the process will be faster, otherwise it will be slower, but in any case shouldn't take more than 15 minutes)
  • I have updated my grill, can I still use SmokeIT ?: No, after you have updated your grill you will not be able to use it with SmokeIT anymore, but hopefully you will enjoy our new app a lot more and you will never want to go back to SmokeIT :)
  • Will the app sends notification when temperatures are reached?: Yes you will receive notification when the grill reach the set temperature or when probes reach the set temperatures, but be aware that for best reliability of this feature is better to connect your grill to WiFi.
  • Can I connect the same grill to more than one phone/tablet? Yes you can connect your grill to as many devices as you want, and you will receive notifications on all your devices! Also you can control your Grill from multiple devices at the same time!
  • Can I connect more than one grill on my phone ? Yes you can connect more than one grill, and you can control them all together from the same phone/tablet.
  • Some/all temperature settings i have on my grill/smoker are not available in the app: We designed the new app to mirror the same exact temperature settings you can set on your grill, so it's very important to select the correct grill/smoker model when adding it to the app. If you selected the correct model but you are still seeing different temperatures please let us know so we can investigate the issue ! If you selected the wrong model you need to remove the grill (click the pencil icon in the "grill" card, and then use the "trash" button in the top-right corner) and add it again!.
If you encounter other issues please let us know!
Last but not least, if you like the new app please don't forget to give us a nice rating, and if you are encountering issues please let us know and give us a couple day to fix it before giving a bad rating !
Thank you, we hope you enjoy our new app!
There are some things I wish the app had, since you are on the development team I’m posting. As others have said the graphs were nice, but it would really be cool if the information could be downloaded and saved, guess I’m a geek. Custom Notifications are really needed. I want to be able to use something that really gets my attention. An alarm that goes off when there is an error- out of pellets, extreme high temp- for fire situations, or your probe reached the desired temperature.

I'm happy to see that Pitboss is developing their own app in-house and we're finally able to get away from the SmokeIT app. Would it be possible to push firmware updates through this new app? My KC Combo currently cannot adjust temps by 10 degree increments (only 25) but I do know it's possible. Is this something that could be updated through the app?

I'm happy to see that Pitboss is developing their own app in-house and we're finally able to get away from the SmokeIT app. Would it be possible to push firmware updates through this new app? My KC Combo currently cannot adjust temps by 10 degree increments (only 25) but I do know it's possible. Is this something that could be updated through the app?
Yes 10 degrees would be nice on the KC Combo

Just used the timer for the first time that gives off a nice notification, if you can make the timer notification the set cook temp notification that would be better but ideally if we can choose our own set temp notification that would be best.

Last edited:
I am on a rib smoke right now and I set the timer since I was doing something else.
Timer went off and I dismissed from the screen and the timer alarm won't stop...lol.
I had to reboot phone to get it to shutup.

Does anyone have issues similar to what I am having and if so what did you do? This all started after I updated for the new app and started using it.
  • Temp swings - I set the grill to 250, check it and it is 350. Swings down to 250 up to 300-325, maybe back to 350, who knows.
  • On one occasion it got an ErH requiring a full clean out.
  • App seems to connect then not connect (via Wifi)
  • Set the temp on the app and it goes right back to the old temp. Go out and check the grill and it is the new temp I just set, but that app still reports the previous temp.
  • This happened this morning: Set the temp to 200 from 190, checked it again in 15 minutes and the grill was off.
  • *edit* Right now I am seeing my temp set to 300 and temp is 425. Not good.
Lots of very strange activity. Any thoughts?
I have the PB920CS1

Last edited:
My iPhone app just went off out of noware Saying my grill has reached 300 degrees it’s not even plugged in.I went out in the back yard to see what’s going on with the grill I opened the app it sed the temp was 303 and fluctuating called tech support they told me to uninstall the app and reinstall it but still it had a temp and I could control it it sed it was connected via Wi-Fi it like I see my grill wasn’t on or even plugged in .

Does anyone have issues similar to what I am having and if so what did you do? This all started after I updated for the new app and started using it.
  • Temp swings - I set the grill to 250, check it and it is 350. Swings down to 250 up to 300-325, maybe back to 350, who knows.
  • On one occasion it got an ErH requiring a full clean out.
  • App seems to connect then not connect (via Wifi)
  • Set the temp on the app and it goes right back to the old temp. Go out and check the grill and it is the new temp I just set, but that app still reports the previous temp.
  • This happened this morning: Set the temp to 200 from 190, checked it again in 15 minutes and the grill was off.
  • *edit* Right now I am seeing my temp set to 300 and temp is 425. Not good.
Lots of very strange activity. Any thoughts?
I have the PB920CS1
Well I know this my app on my phone yesterday gave me a alert saying my grill has reached 300 degrees and I wasn’t making anything my smoker wasn’t even plugged in I could lower and raise the temp in the app I called tech support they told me to uninstall the app and reinstall it but none of that explains why my app sed I was connected via Wi-Fi to my grill that was off and giving me temperature fluctuations it was like it’s 303 a few minutes later 297 and back to 300 just really weird and before that the old smoke it app i would move the dial and it would blink band stay in the temp I had set it to then right back to the temp I was at in the first place five minutes later so I couldn’t change the temp from the app just check the temps and then any changes would need to be done from the grill controller and I take very good care of my grill I have done about 70 cooks on it and I clean it like OCD after every one I love my smoker but what’s up with these apps something is definitely not right I’m a computer tech for a living something is definitely wrong.I have to wonder was my app on the network talking to their servers that monitor their grills and how many cooks we do and what ever else they watch and I was controlling someone else’s grill it sure seemed like that so I uninstalled the app won’t be putting it back till they fix what ever glitch is in their .
Any ideas or solutions I would like to know I was a little freaked out when mine sed it was at temp when I had the cover on it and it under my awning in my back yard I thought I was about to be fighting a fire back their .

Well I know this my app on my phone yesterday gave me a alert saying my grill has reached 300 degrees and I wasn’t making anything my smoker wasn’t even plugged in I could lower and raise the temp in the app I called tech support they told me to uninstall the app and reinstall it but none of that explains why my app sed I was connected via Wi-Fi to my grill that was off and giving me temperature fluctuations it was like it’s 303 a few minutes later 297 and back to 300 just really weird and before that the old smoke it app i would move the dial and it would blink band stay in the temp I had set it to then right back to the temp I was at in the first place five minutes later so I couldn’t change the temp from the app just check the temps and then any changes would need to be done from the grill controller and I take very good care of my grill I have done about 70 cooks on it and I clean it like OCD after every one I love my smoker but what’s up with these apps something is definitely not right I’m a computer tech for a living something is definitely wrong.I have to wonder was my app on the network talking to their servers that monitor their grills and how many cooks we do and what ever else they watch and I was controlling someone else’s grill it sure seemed like that so I uninstalled the app won’t be putting it back till they fix what ever glitch is in their .
Any ideas or solutions I would like to know I was a little freaked out when mine sed it was at temp when I had the cover on it and it under my awning in my back yard I thought I was about to be fighting a fire back their .
I would install the app and remove the grill from your wifi and the delete the grill then reinstall the grill and use a different name maybe even make a new account for pit boss for the app. 🤔 maybe you smoker was having a dream 🤔

I would install the app and remove the grill from your wifi and the delete the grill then reinstall the grill and use a different name maybe even make a new account for pit boss for the app. 🤔 maybe you smoker was having a dream 🤔
It just really seemed like it was connected to another smoker because I could change the temps and their where fluctuations so the app was getting those numbers from someplace so for now I’ll just use the controller on the grill I have had it about two years and make something big bout once a week pretty much always a 15 hour cook I love the thing I just don’t trust the app any more and won’t put it in my phone the temps should not have changed when I set them to change I think it was controlling someone else’s grill and none of my neighbors have one I always share with them I’m the only one around here with one and they wouldn’t be on my router even if they did .

Latest Discussions

Back