Mother's Day

StuKatz

Reaction score
We're hosting the whole family next Sunday, and I'm planning to cook a brisket (first one ever. I know, crazy) and a pork butt on my PBV4PS2. We'll be eating at around 2PM on Sunday.

My plan is to put the brisket on at 6Pm on Saturday at 200 degrees, then add the pork butt at midnight
wake up at 4am on Sunday to wrap the brisket and pork butt And raise the temp to 250.

Ideally I'd like to let the brisket rest for 2 hours so I'd like to pull it off by noon.
I'd pull the pork butt at 190
Would appreciate any thoughts on this plan.
Thanks in advance

We're hosting the whole family next Sunday, and I'm planning to cook a brisket (first one ever. I know, crazy) and a pork butt on my PBV4PS2. We'll be eating at around 2PM on Sunday.

My plan is to put the brisket on at 6Pm on Saturday at 200 degrees, then add the pork butt at midnight
wake up at 4am on Sunday to wrap the brisket and pork butt And raise the temp to 250.

Ideally I'd like to let the brisket rest for 2 hours so I'd like to pull it off by noon.
Thanks in advance
In general, sounds like a plan. Couple of things.
If it matters, during the initial stages, whatever meat is on the upper shelf will drip onto the meat below.
Cooking time will depend on size of cut and smoking temperature, and it looks like you have plenty of time to work with. Better done early than late.

Good plan only thing I'd change is temps and adding a smoke tube. Don't be afraid to heat that baby up earlier. Brisket and pork butt can take some serious heat and turn out awesome.
Don't cook to temp cook to probe tender even if it takes 210°. Should feel like sticking probe into smooth peanut butter.

Thanks in advance
Sounds to me you pretty much got it.the only thing I do different is wrap the butt after 4 hours and at that temperature I'd pull the butt after 12 hours an put in a cooler and lay a towel on it and it will stay good and hot till you're ready to pull it or chop it.but good luck

If you're cooking a full packer brisket watch the temp on the point and the flat. They tend to get done at different times. And DON'T BE IMPATIENT with brisket. Let it get to 200 to 205. If you pull it too early the dog wont even be able to eat it. Wrap in two layers of foil with a cup of liquid. Wrap that in a towel and drop into a cooler. It will stay 3, 4 hours like that and still be hot and tender. So being a bit early is ok. Also....dont go by weight on brisket. It's the thickness of the meat that counts. I've seen 12 lb briskets with a fat point cook slower than a 16 pounder that wasnt as thick. It gonna be great. Enjoy your get together.

One last item - low and slow cooking does not go by the clock, it goes by when the meat is done. Two briskets can be hours apart to get 'done'. I had one 14-pounder take 22 hours, and yes, it ruined my schedule. Don't be afraid to start early, it's easy to hold cooked meat after it's cooked.

Back