L01 Error Code (as soon as you apply power to unit)

Welcome to the forum so I called Pit Boss since I want to help others on this issue. So I actually got through in a decent time.

L01 is true it is the firmware number for the controller. If anyone recieves the L01 that means the controller firmware was not properly flashed to the chip or the firmware was corrupted during the flash at the manufacture. You need to call PB and have the controller exchanged for another one.

If you already ordered a new one still call PB and get the replacement. You never know you might need it on a year or two.
I very much appreciate your reply. Thank you for taking the time to confirm with Pit Boss what L01 means. I'll update this thread once I get my aftermarket controller in. I did create a support ticket and supposedly have a call back scheduled with Pit Boss. Haven't heard back

So far I think the most complaints are from the ones bought at Lowe's. It's amazing how many of these don't work out of the box. I guess I am lucky to have to issues with either of mine.

PB Support has never heard of an L01 error code either. Tried it in multiple outlets, with multiple extension cords.

After describing this issue, and my previous overheating issue (360+ on Smoke - P4 Setting), they have went ahead and sent me a new controller board. Hopefully the RTD Probe isn't also an issue, once the new controller board gets delivered and installed. Guess only time will tell.

FYI, If the attached photo doesn't show the L01 very good, I have a video that shows it alot clearer that I can provide.
I got an L02 on my Lockhart, then an ERR and flashing igniter display when a pin came out of the igniter connector, so being a PID controller, it stands to reason that it would have different firmware.

The LO1 is exactly how I found this forum and the problem I had. I replaced the control board and was still having the power issue and the LO1 flash. I spoke with customer service again and they are sending a new control board and power cord.
I decided to check my cord and found some issues. I'm not waiting on them and replaced my cord with a 14g 25 ft extension cord. My problems have disappeared.
20201007_134925.jpg
20201007_134900.jpg

I got the same code (L01) when a wire pulled out of the auger motor connector. Funny how much that code looks like "LOL"...in this case it means Lots Of Luck!

The LO1 is exactly how I found this forum and the problem I had. I replaced the control board and was still having the power issue and the LO1 flash. I spoke with customer service again and they are sending a new control board and power cord.
I decided to check my cord and found some issues. I'm not waiting on them and replaced my cord with a 14g 25 ft extension cord. My problems have disappeared. View attachment 374View attachment 375
Hey that's great. Just be careful you don't accidentally pull that cord out of the grill. You could put some cable ties around the cord on the inside so it can't pull through the hole.

Hey that's great. Just be careful you don't accidentally pull that cord out of the grill. You could put some cable ties around the cord on the inside so it can't pull through the hole.
That's exactly what I did and wrapped the cord with extra electrical tape for some added protection since the rubber pieces did not fit back on.

So far I think the most complaints are from the ones bought at Lowe's. It's amazing how many of these don't work out of the box. I guess I am lucky to have to issues with either of mine.
No mine came from Wally world .just got it working after 3 months sitting dead in the water.pitboss customer service is bad.i went through the usual rigamarole about the fuse,the controller and the power cord.i took a volt meter and was getting power to the controller.i took the hopper off today and unplugged everything then plugged it in one thing at a time finally got the control board to light up.pulled the auger out and cleaned it now it's working fine for now.it took us weeks of calling to get customer service and parts delivery is slow.i suspect parts are coming straight from China.

Pit Boss did not mention power cord issue with the L01 so that is interesting so I sent them a message to ask them about it.

After one successful smoking session of around 3 hours at 275 F, the LO1 error on my second attempt as soon as I applied power to my new Wal Mart Austin XL smoker. Thanks to this forum., I found out I am not the only one with this problem or the Pit Boss service dept. Needless to say the crowd I had gathered expecting smoked chicken and eye of round roast were disappointed and as the host I was forced to come up with an improvised plan B. Spoke with Pit Boss folks on Nov 22 and was later told that my replacement control board was in stock, should be picked off the shelf within 24 hours and and I may have have it by Thanksgiving. "May" is the operative word here. Well, it ain't here by Thanksgiving. Mentioned that the forum members also found and corrected problems with the power cord and they said that they never heard of such a problem. Pit Boss is sending me an exact replacement control board, so who knows how long this one will last. The more reliable WiFi controller is available to me if I want to shell over $150. I'll keep you fellow smokers advised of how things go if and when the replacement control board gets here.

Old Salt, not a good thing to happen EVER but really not good to happen when guests are there. Hope you get it resolved, this seems to be a common problem. Pit Boss seems to be lacking in quality control. I have 2 of them and one I have had a few problems with but it works fine most of the time. My other one is a vertical smoker and it is a champ, never had an issue with that one, used it yesterday to smoke 2 butterball boneless breasts that turned out great.

Replacement control board arrived today and after installing the same thing happens - L01 error code as soon as power is applied. Spoke with Pit Boss customer service and my problem will be kicked up a level to resolve my issue. Replacing control boards in kind doesn't seem to be working for me. Still waiting for my second smoking session.

Replacement control board arrived today and after installing the same thing happens - L01 error code as soon as power is applied. Spoke with Pit Boss customer service and my problem will be kicked up a level to resolve my issue. Replacing control boards in kind doesn't seem to be working for me. Still waiting for my second smoking session.

I had a similar problem a few years back... What kind of extension cord are you using? The three things I did to solve that problem was to swap out the 5 amp fuse in the controller and I upgraded my extension cord to a 10 gauge electric extension cord and I upgraded my electrical wall outlet to a 15 Amp 125-Volt Duplex Self-Test Slim GFCI Outlet and I’ve never had an issue since. If your grill powers up for a quick second and then shuts off or never powers up at all... Even after swapping in a new Hopper Controller, then your grills problem is the power source... Try the 10 gauge extension cord first and if necessary, change out electrical outlet as well and that hopefully should solve your problem. Good Luck.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

i am not using an extension cord. I plug the Austin XL power cord directly into an outlet. I've tried two different outlets with the same L01 error code as a result.

Spoke with customer service and was told that the L01 that momentarily appears and then disappears is not an error code, but a programming code. Following their advice, I plugged unit directly into outlet, L01 came and went, no blue power light. Turned setting from off to smoke, pushed the power button, blue light came and smoker cycled through as expected with a successful smoking session. Now I am learning the nuances of my smoker. Smoked two spatchcocked chickens of roughly the same weight at 250 degree setting. With a temperature probe in each bird, the one under the chimney reached 165 in 2.25 hrs, the one by the hopper end reached 165 in 3.5 hrs. I put both probes in the last bird to ensure there was no error. Both birds looked and tasted fantastic. Anxious to master my particular smoker and am delighted to have it back in service again.

Back