L01 Error Code (as soon as you apply power to unit)

STLJonny

Reaction score
As soon as I apply power to the unit (PB Austin XL) I get an L01 on the LCD readout for a few seconds, then it goes blank/black. The fan/auger do not power up, and the unit is dead in the water.

I've searched high and low through PB manuals, and no mention of that code. Tried searching on here, but it told me that the keyword was either too short, produced too many results, or was too common.

Anyone know anything about this?

PB Support has never heard of an L01 error code either. Tried it in multiple outlets, with multiple extension cords.

After describing this issue, and my previous overheating issue (360+ on Smoke - P4 Setting), they have went ahead and sent me a new controller board. Hopefully the RTD Probe isn't also an issue, once the new controller board gets delivered and installed. Guess only time will tell.

FYI, If the attached photo doesn't show the L01 very good, I have a video that shows it alot clearer that I can provide.

Attachments

• Austin XL L01 Error Pic.jpg
    Austin XL L01 Error Pic.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 713
As soon as I apply power to the unit (PB Austin XL) I get an L01 on the LCD readout for a few seconds, then it goes blank/black. The fan/auger do not power up, and the unit is dead in the water.

I've searched high and low through PB manuals, and no mention of that code. Tried searching on here, but it told me that the keyword was either too short, produced too many results, or was too common.

Anyone know anything about this?
I had this problem today, the unit shut down and the control panel showed L01. I turned it off, unplugged it and plugged back in and it ran fine. I can’t find any information on the error. If it happens again I’ll call pit boss and see if they have any new info. I’ve had my pb820 for about a month and have used it at least 15 times.
Anyone else have this issue?

thanks

Still haven't gotten my Controller Board from Pit Boss, but I do know that when I called it into them, they had no clue what the code was (they never heard of it), so they immediately ordered me a Controller Board. Too bad it's now been a month, and I am looking at at least another 3+ weeks to get the board. Not too happy, and will be calling back to see what's going on (they escalated my Warranty Order at about 3 weeks, and now a week after that the Warranty Order says Backordered 4-6 weeks). Not too happy at their Customer Service/Support/Warranty at this point in time.

Yeah they are pretty slow. I had a probe that was supposed to be to me by the end of the week. Took over 8 weeks and I got tired of waiting so i bought one on Amazon and it had one day shipping and arrived the day after I ordered it. Then about 2 days later the one from Pit Boss arrived so I just put it away to save as a spare. Sometimes I don't mind just buying the parts from Amazon because shipping is much faster and if I am not out a whole lot of money I'll just save the other as a backup.

Still haven't gotten my Controller Board from Pit Boss, but I do know that when I called it into them, they had no clue what the code was (they never heard of it), so they immediately ordered me a Controller Board. Too bad it's now been a month, and I am looking at at least another 3+ weeks to get the board. Not too happy, and will be calling back to see what's going on (they escalated my Warranty Order at about 3 weeks, and now a week after that the Warranty Order says Backordered 4-6 weeks). Not too happy at their Customer Service/Support/Warranty at this point in time.

I have a feeling that there was an issue with the controller as they pulled it from there online parts list which is interesting. You can buy the same controller from Amazon as the controller that Pit Boss uses is not a controller they design themselves.

Just purchased a Pit Boss and got the same error code (L01) when I plugged it in for the first time. Just plan on taking the grill back to the store. FYI: In February I bought this grill and it worked for about 2 months and then it stopped holding the temperature and feeding the pellets to fast causing a fire and mini explosion in the firebox. Called Pit Boss where the customer service is horrendous, and they said it was the temperature probe and control board. Got the temperature probe but am still waiting on the control board (they keep giving excuses) and it been over 2 months. Finally got fed up with it and contacted the store where I purchased the grill and they were kind enough (even though they did not have to) to replace the unit which they delivered on Thursday. As I said when I went to prep the grill for the first time, I got the error code L01. Called Pit Boss and am waiting on a call back. Since I did not get the call back from pit boss, I will be returning the replacement unit back to the store. When I spoke to Pit Boss about the first grill, I was actually told that sometimes you get one that works and sometimes you don't. Very reassuring about the quality of their product.

My controller board (warranty replacement) order at Pitboss placed on July 5th went from Processing to Backordered 4-6 weeks. I called last week, and they said they had tons of units in stock, and she would expedite the order to get it moving. Still no movement as of today, so I have another callback into them to see what the latest excuse is.

I'm half tempted to just by an aftermarket PID controller, so I can actually use this thing.

I have a feeling that there was an issue with the controller as they pulled it from there online parts list which is interesting. You can buy the same controller from Amazon as the controller that Pit Boss uses is not a controller they design themselves.

So you have a link or make/model number for the controller (off Amazon)?
I'd even be tempted to install an aftermarket PID controller if there was one that was more of a direct replacement, for the current unit (I just don't want to modify the face of the hopper and use filler plates, i think that looks sorta tacky).

Amazon Pit Boss Controller and Here for one with reviews and photos

Read reviews, there are several different vendors. If you don't mind spending $50+ for one and then wait on the one from Pit Boss you will have a back up.

note that in the photos on the second link are for vertical smokers. They bought the wrong controller which look the same but it's not, the vertical smokers have setting increments of 25 degrees. The ones on Amazon are for the pellets grills and not the vertical smokers.

So update. After calling last week, they expedited the controller board to me. Received today, swapped it, and still am getting same L01, and unit is dead in the water.

Speaking with CS right now. L01 is the software/firmware version of the controller (after a couple calls about it, they have a CS e-mail circulating with that information).

The CS rep was slightly confused when I told her after the L01 goes away, the unit is dead in the water, so she is consulting with others.

I have had this unit since End of May/Early June, and called this issue in on July 5th. I only got the burn in, and two attempted smokes on this unit before it had issues. Not wanting to spoil the experience, but if they do not rectify this immediately I will be asking for a full refund.

On a side note, I probably have a spare controller board (unless the replacement was defective as well).

So update. After calling last week, they expedited the controller board to me. Received today, swapped it, and still am getting same L01, and unit is dead in the water.

Speaking with CS right now. L01 is the software/firmware version of the controller (after a couple calls about it, they have a CS e-mail circulating with that information).

The CS rep was slightly confused when I told her after the L01 goes away, the unit is dead in the water, so she is consulting with others.

I have had this unit since End of May/Early June, and called this issue in on July 5th. I only got the burn in, and two attempted smokes on this unit before it had issues. Not wanting to spoil the experience, but if they do not rectify this immediately I will be asking for a full refund.

On a side note, I probably have a spare controller board (unless the replacement was defective as well).

Any updates since this call? I'm having the same issue and I'm not feeling very optimistic about a resolution at this point.

I am also having this issue right out of the box with a Pit Boss 820 Pro Series from Lowes. Hearing the nightmares about Pit Boss's customer service, I decided to bite the bullet and order a replacement controller from a third party site:

Any update on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I have popped out the current controller board and have inspected it, and have not found any issues. See attached.

Insane that they don't know what L01 is for an error code. Someone had to have programmed it! This is literally the only place anywhere online I have found reference to this issue.

Thanks and may god bless you all.

Attachments

• 20200907_195105.jpg
    20200907_195105.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 162
I am also having this issue right out of the box with a Pit Boss 820 Pro Series from Lowes. Hearing the nightmares about Pit Boss's customer service, I decided to bite the bullet and order a replacement controller from a third party site:

Any update on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I have popped out the current controller board and have inspected it, and have not found any issues. See attached.

Insane that they don't know what L01 is for an error code. Someone had to have programmed it! This is literally the only place anywhere online I have found reference to this issue.

Thanks and may god bless you all.

Welcome to the forum so I called Pit Boss since I want to help others on this issue. So I actually got through in a decent time.

L01 is true it is the firmware number for the controller. If anyone recieves the L01 that means the controller firmware was not properly flashed to the chip or the firmware was corrupted during the flash at the manufacture. You need to call PB and have the controller exchanged for another one.

If you already ordered a new one still call PB and get the replacement. You never know you might need it on a year or two.

Back