Hickory vs Competitive Pellets, is there a major distinguish in taste?

Art4

Reaction score
I have a Pitboss Navigator (its a combo grill) been using it for at least three months. Figuring out the temp swings and P Settings are tuned in for the most part.
I see all the different brands of pellets and I have yet to try the variety. I started with Hickory and recently my kid bought me a 20lb bag of competition.

Its my understanding that Hickory gives you the "most smoked flavor"? so I used it on steaks, quarter chickens ,pork butts etc..
Ive enjoyed them all the same.

Can anyone tell me is there a chart we follow for say...Pork butt, turkey?

What can the competition pellets do that Hickory pellets can't?

Im new to pellet grills and smoking btw, if this seems to be a no-brainer question.

Thx,
Art

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Hickory will give you that bite in smoke than the competition blend. The competition blend does not give that hard hickory taste, but a settle sweet smoke. I do not use Hickory on Chicken as poultry absorbs more smoke then beef and pork does and it give me that too much smokier taste.

It depends as I try so many different pellets and so far my favorite is B&B pellets and you should try there hickory it is pretty good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Art4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Dave, also read your comments on other topics regarding the Savannah pellet controller, I checked their website out and plan on making that investment. I too experience the crazy swings in temp, I realize its to be expected but if the savannah can "tune in" the temp a bit better... wel its worth it.

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
Savannah controller is very sophisticated and it does a great job. You will love it.

Latest Discussions