Hickory vs Competitive Pellets, is there a major distinguish in taste?

Art4

Reaction score
I have a Pitboss Navigator (its a combo grill) been using it for at least three months. Figuring out the temp swings and P Settings are tuned in for the most part.
I see all the different brands of pellets and I have yet to try the variety. I started with Hickory and recently my kid bought me a 20lb bag of competition.

Its my understanding that Hickory gives you the "most smoked flavor"? so I used it on steaks, quarter chickens ,pork butts etc..
Ive enjoyed them all the same.

Can anyone tell me is there a chart we follow for say...Pork butt, turkey?

What can the competition pellets do that Hickory pellets can't?

Im new to pellet grills and smoking btw, if this seems to be a no-brainer question.

Thx,
Art

Hickory will give you that bite in smoke than the competition blend. The competition blend does not give that hard hickory taste, but a settle sweet smoke. I do not use Hickory on Chicken as poultry absorbs more smoke then beef and pork does and it give me that too much smokier taste.

It depends as I try so many different pellets and so far my favorite is B&B pellets and you should try there hickory it is pretty good.

Thanks for the info Dave, also read your comments on other topics regarding the Savannah pellet controller, I checked their website out and plan on making that investment. I too experience the crazy swings in temp, I realize its to be expected but if the savannah can "tune in" the temp a bit better... wel its worth it.

Savannah controller is very sophisticated and it does a great job. You will love it.

I've read two different discussions online as to what woods are in Pitboss Competition Blend. Both agree on maple and hickory but differ on the third wood. One says cherry and the other says apple.

Anyone know for sure? Just bought a bag but haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
I think there are two blends. The one at Walmart is different than the one at Lowe's. One has cherry, the other apple (I think).

I think there are two blends. The one at Walmart is different than the one at Lowe's. One has cherry, the other apple (I think).
Interesting. That would seem to be a blow to consistency. Both are fruit woods but are definitely different. Wonder which fruit wood I got. I think they came from Lowes but it's been a while and I've bought pellets from both places. Oh well, looking forward to trying them. Thanks for the reply.

I have a Pitboss Navigator (its a combo grill) been using it for at least three months. Figuring out the temp swings and P Settings are tuned in for the most part.
I see all the different brands of pellets and I have yet to try the variety. I started with Hickory and recently my kid bought me a 20lb bag of competition.

Its my understanding that Hickory gives you the "most smoked flavor"? so I used it on steaks, quarter chickens ,pork butts etc..
Ive enjoyed them all the same.

Can anyone tell me is there a chart we follow for say...Pork butt, turkey?

What can the competition pellets do that Hickory pellets can't?

Im new to pellet grills and smoking btw, if this seems to be a no-brainer question.

Thx,
Art

I have been using a custom wood smoker for many years so now I decided to go with a pellet smoker. So in my observation you cannot over smoke on a pillow smoker. That is because they just don't put out as much intense smoke. Also when you say hickory pellets look very closely at the bag. It is hard to find pellets that are one single wood such as hickory. Most of the time hickory is mixed with other woods such as oak. From what I read it has to do with a steady burn of the pellets. The most intense smoke comes from mesquite. The best thing to do is to test different woods to see what you truly like. In my family we like good strong smoke so I have to add a smoke tube to get a smoke that I am more used to. I actually bought the pellet smoker for the ease of operation. So basically when it comes to pellets just get what works for you and just have fun at it. If you find something your wife and your family likes then that's the pellets for you.

I've used PB hickory blend and Kingsford 100% hickory. Kingsford seems to produce a stronger flavor. Haven't tried competition blend, but plan to soon. Seems to be popular. So far my favorite PB blend is Classic (pecan, hickory and mesquite). I'm more inclined to get pure woods when I can find them and mix my own...learning all the time:)

Last edited:
because it sucks swapping pellets all the time, I've started using 'whatever's in the hopper' which is generally lumberjack hickory or char-hickory, and then putting a separate wood into my smoke tube in the chamber.

Also i just saw this, realized its a late add to this thread, but this topic comes up often enough. here's the chart that is on the back of traeger brand bags. I've never used that brand, but the chart is probably close enough to any other you can find.

Attachments

• Image 2021-12-21-08-47.jpg
    Image 2021-12-21-08-47.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 246

Latest Discussions

Back