Firmware Update for Pit Boss Pro Series 850?

As for the App,
my new controller connected on its own and did it successfully, I did not do anything it just connected.
I would not use the app anymore tough if you have an upgraded controller.
The app still has the old temperature increments, it will not recognize when the grill meets a set temperature that is not programmed in the app, ie, if you set the temp. to 200* the app alerts you that the grill has reached the set temp.
but if you set it to 220* which is not programmed into the app, it does nothing, in fact when I set the grill to 220* the app says that it is set for 200*, I see a potential problem with this.
I will wait until there is an update for the app that addresses this. I am not even going to turn on the app!!
Could be waiting for ever, who knows?

As for the App,
my new controller connected on its own and did it successfully, I did not do anything it just connected.
I would not use the app anymore tough if you have an upgraded controller.
The app still has the old temperature increments, it will not recognize when the grill meets a set temperature that is not programmed in the app, ie, if you set the temp. to 200* the app alerts you that the grill has reached the set temp.
but if you set it to 220* which is not programmed into the app, it does nothing, in fact when I set the grill to 220* the app says that it is set for 200*, I see a potential problem with this.
I will wait until there is an update for the app that addresses this. I am not even going to turn on the app!!
Could be waiting for ever, who knows?
Yep - was just basically told to go F myself from Pit Boss support. They lied first, told me this did not exist, then lied again and said they have never done an update to firmware from a sent in board and then told me if I wanted a newer, updated one I would have to return my grill to Lowes (just bought it 9 days ago) and have them see if they have newer inventory that had the new controller because they cannot help beyond that. The rep did not care one bit.

I went straight to the S smoke setting because my old controller did not stay at a low temperature on S setting.
It would go from 180* and stay there for about 10 or 15 minutes then would start to climb, all the way up to 280 on S setting.
So that's why I wanted to test out the S setting first.
it worked well at all temps. I tested, (all lower than 300*) also the little swing is a good thing as far as I can tell, it gives off way more smoke then before.
How about wifi/Bluetooth with the app?

hi im new to the site i just purchased pb850ps2 on july 25 i called pit boss customer service on the july 26 and got a rep and right away he said i got a controller with the old firmware no 10 increments and he he will send me the new one received it and no difference have contacted pit boss 4 times since and they all say there is no firmware update yet for pb850ps2 they apologize for the other reps i don't understand what happened first yes for firmware now no

How about wifi/Bluetooth with the app?
wifi and BT worked fine, I just don't trust the app with the new firmware in the controller.
downloading the new version of the app now.
I will test it when I get home later today.
I hope it is in sync with the new temperature increments in the new controller.

Purchased my 850 2 weeks ago and got an old controller. Called PB support the following day and was told they had a few updated controllers in stock and they would send one to me. They never emailed me a confirmation or sent a tracking number so I called today to follow up and was told my order was cancelled by a supervisor and that no such updated controller exists. I told them there are several examples of the updated controller with the 10 degree increments out there and he said those people are confused with their PB model and most likely using an 1150. I'm starting to regret my purchase.

-Edit- update: The FedEx guy literally just dropped off the new controller I was slated to received 10 minutes after my post above. Not sure why I was given the run around by customer service today and told the parts replacement was cancelled. I am glad to have the new controller though.

Last edited:
Purchased my 850 2 weeks ago and got an old controller. Called PB support the following day and was told they had a few updated controllers in stock and they would send one to me. They never emailed me a confirmation or sent a tracking number so I called today to follow up and was told my order was cancelled by a supervisor and that no such updated controller exists. I told them there are several examples of the updated controller with the 10 degree increments out there and he said those people are confused with their PB model and most likely using an 1150. I'm starting to regret my purchase.

-Edit- update: The FedEx guy literally just dropped off the new controller I was slated to received 10 minutes after my post above. Not sure why I was given the run around by customer service today and told the parts replacement was cancelled. I am glad to have the new controller though.
Can you supply the exact part number/info on the new controller. I need to call PB back and would love to have that info. Thank you..! - also where was it shipped from? Their main phone number is Phoenix, AZ area code (where I live). Thank you!!

Can you supply the exact part number/info on the new controller. I need to call PB back and would love to have that info. Thank you..! - also where was it shipped from? Their main phone number is Phoenix, AZ area code (where I live). Thank you!!

Item # is 80146 and the Description of the part is Controller Board - PB Pro Series, 110VAC 2MP WiFi/BT (L01). The part was shipped from Dansons 914 Valley Ave NW. Puyallup WA, 98371.

I have not function tested the new controller yet to verify the 10° increment update. I will post here if there are any issues.

Deleted my post... Just saw the post above about how to get a new controller... Although seems hit or miss

Last edited:
So the replacement controller that PB support sent me is not an updated version. It only is adjustable by 25° increments under 300°. I guess I'll have to call them back and hope to get a knowledgeable rep.

So the replacement controller that PB support sent me is not an updated version. It only is adjustable by 25° increments under 300°. I guess I'll have to call them back and hope to get a knowledgeable rep.
This is what I was worried about... How can you make sure they send you the updated one, not just another one like you already have...

This is what I was worried about... How can you make sure they send you the updated one, not just another one like you already have...
Seems like another person posted with the same issue as mine. I hope they are working on making this right as this post has over 9K views, so I know PB support is getting many calls over this.

I wanted to add another example of this situation (getting shipped an old board again). Thanks to this thread, I was able to get PitBoss support to help (the 2nd person I spoke with was super helpful and was like "yea, no problem...we'll get that sent out"...the 1st guy was clueless and said it didn't exist).

After ~1 week wait, my new 850 board arrived and I just finished installing it. Unfortunately, it is the exact same board that I had in there already (part #: 80146; (L01)) and does not have the 10 deg. increments. I just got off with PitBoss support and the 1st person I spoke with was super helpful and confirmed it looked like they mistakenly sent me the old board & were putting in a new order to send me out the correct one now. She mentioned they were "cycling through them" and someone made an error. She also confirmed that the new board is the same part #: 80146, so I expect that is part of the problem/confusion. You would hope they had a new part # to track the new boards. Fingers-crossed I get the correct one this time...will report back in a week or so.

*I bought my PB850PS2 from Lowe's on July 1st, 2021*

Back