321 ribs

It’s a general guideline. Size of racks, quirkiness of your individual smoker etc come into play. When they’re done they’re done is the way to go
First time I tried baby backs. My wife was at costco and I told her I wanted spare ribs and she brought these home. I will just have to try the baby backs again when these are gone:). I am still learning the quirks of my smoker like you said. Had a lot on that day. 3 slabs, 8 hamburgers 10 chicken strips and 17 chicken legs!!!! Not all at the same time of course.

Our version of 321 for baby backs:
3 (up to 4.5) hours on lowest smoke setting, then wrap and put in the oven (or a turkey roaster) @ about 300 for 1 hour 45 min, then unwrap and let them rest for at least 15 min. Sauce and finish just long enough on the broiler or on a grill to tighten up the sauce. Works perfectly. Done literally tons of ribs this way.

FWUW - we don''t put wrapped meat back in the smoker. Smoke can't get to the meat through the wrap, and it is just a waste of pellets to heat the smoker when an oven will do the same thing much more efficiently. Also don't use the smoker to "tighten up" because it requires higher temp and the meat won't really pick up smoke flavor (again, a waste of pellets).

First time I tried baby backs. My wife was at costco and I told her I wanted spare ribs and she brought these home. I will just have to try the baby backs again when these are gone:). I am still learning the quirks of my smoker like you said. Had a lot on that day. 3 slabs, 8 hamburgers 10 chicken strips and 17 chicken legs!!!! Not all at the same time of course.
Man I’ll say. What a feast.

321 is generic smoking process my opinion is smoke them as long as it takes I have done some up to 8hrs I cook them till the meat is pulling from the bone .I use to go by the 321 but have learned other wise .smoking meat is a learning experience its never the same all the time

321 is generic smoking process my opinion is smoke them as long as it takes I have done some up to 8hrs I cook them till the meat is pulling from the bone .I use to go by the 321 but have learned other wise .smoking meat is a learning experience its never the same all the time
For me who never did ribs this way it was a good starting point. Until I started to learn what was going on with the smoker and the meat inside during the process. So for ribs now, at the beginning I’m thinking it’ll be 6ish hour, but maybe 5 or 7 depending on what’s happing in there.

For me who never did ribs this way it was a good starting point. Until I started to learn what was going on with the smoker and the meat inside during the process. So for ribs now, at the beginning I’m thinking it’ll be 6ish hour, but maybe 5 or 7 depending on what’s happing in there.
Yep each to there oun,but on my Austin xl I have always did the 3,2,1,smoke at 225 with a smoke tube, wrap for 2 at 225,then unwrap and put sticky fingers barbecue sauce on them for the rest of the cooker till the sauce caramelizes, my family who is also my best critics love them

Yep each to there oun,but on my Austin xl I have always did the 3,2,1,smoke at 225 with a smoke tube, wrap for 2 at 225,then unwrap and put sticky fingers barbecue sauce on them for the rest of the cooker till the sauce caramelizes, my family who is also my best critics love them
Yeah Im used to spare ribs. Smoke for 3 hours them wrap with stretch and aluminum foil then another hour and they were done. Never sauced till I was ready to chow down. Warmed up the sauce and brushed it on.

Yeah Im used to spare ribs. Smoke for 3 hours them wrap with stretch and aluminum foil then another hour and they were done. Never sauced till I was ready to chow down. Warmed up the sauce and brushed it on.
Yea it just makes them kinda sticky but when I slice them I brush a little extra on them

Did my 321 ribs today. Cooked about an hour at 180 then up to 230. After 3 hours wrapped in foil at 250. No sauce after wrap. Came out fall off the bone and tasty. Used Bear Mountain apple pellets. Great dinner enough left over for another.

Attachments

• 20220815_164623.jpg
    20220815_164623.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 8
Yesterday’s ribs were done in 5 hours. Target temp was 225. After 3 smoking mode and 2 hours in foil a check yielded tender bone pulling ribs.
Problem was they still needed sauce and dinner was planned a couple hours out.
Solution was sauce the ribs and put them back in at the S mode which is 140 degrees.
That worked, they didn’t over cook and all was good.

Latest Discussions

Back