what's your favorite pellet and why

Edchad

Reaction score
Ok. Finally. I got a favorite. Lol. Kingsford 100% Hickory. I picked up some cherry this morning as well. I’ll try that maybe pretty soon. But so far these are the best ones I’ve found that I can actually get a decent smoke flavor. I did run the 6” tube but that’s no big deal. They did these baby backs justice in flavor cook and appearance. Lol.
I’ve put this thing thru the ringer in a short time and was getting a little discouraged. Now I can honestly say im pretty happy. I’m hoping to find a couple more. I think the ‘blend’ thing has a lot to do with it. Now. What the hay am I gonna do with all these I didn’t like. And why did I buy two bags of some before even trying. Lol.

Attachments

• 14BDF4CA-ABD9-4B4A-B769-B596DF37C77E.jpeg
    14BDF4CA-ABD9-4B4A-B769-B596DF37C77E.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 6
  • C11A0912-0A3F-4A74-9A69-BE07890B0879.jpeg
    C11A0912-0A3F-4A74-9A69-BE07890B0879.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 170CDA21-409F-4DC7-AF1B-8C2F7DA4FD21.jpeg
    170CDA21-409F-4DC7-AF1B-8C2F7DA4FD21.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 6

MKinHB

Reaction score
just picked up some Kingsford classic blend, (Hickory, Cherry, Oak) we'll see how these work.
so far I think my fav. is the Kingsford Hickory so I am gonna give these a try. I wish I can find plain Oak pellets.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, I like the Bear Mountain Oak, but I have had two bags of Gourmet Blend and no luck with either.
The Expert Grill Hickory Oak blend has a good smell to it but doesn't burn all the way.
Kingsford Hickory work good. Also Pit Boss Hickory, and Mesquite have been good.
I wish Pit Boss would put the % of blend on their blended flavors. They used to.
Yes, I had the same issue with Expert Grill. They smell good but there are too many unburned pellets (what I mean by that is in the bottom of the smoke tube were black pellets that did not burn all the way but I am sure you know since you had the same experience). But for about 6 dollars a bag they were worth the try.

I have tried most of the Bear Mountain pellets. They have a new Bourbon Barrell pellet I would like to try. I previously tried the Cuisinart Bourbon Pellets and I guess they were OK. I honestly could not tell it was made from bourbon by the smell or taste, although when I used those pellets I also used the Cuisinart Bourbon rub (which does have a bourbon flavor to it) but while cooking I only smelled smoke.

Some people say the blends are the worst but I like Competition Blend (PB) and the Savory Blend from BM. And I have heard very good things about the Sam's Smokehouse Blend pellets, looking forward to trying those.

Whenever BM has a BOGO again I will order another bag of oak and try those bourbon pellets.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Finally. I got a favorite. Lol. Kingsford 100% Hickory. I picked up some cherry this morning as well. I’ll try that maybe pretty soon. But so far these are the best ones I’ve found that I can actually get a decent smoke flavor. I did run the 6” tube but that’s no big deal. They did these baby backs justice in flavor cook and appearance. Lol.
I’ve put this thing thru the ringer in a short time and was getting a little discouraged. Now I can honestly say im pretty happy. I’m hoping to find a couple more. I think the ‘blend’ thing has a lot to do with it. Now. What the hay am I gonna do with all these I didn’t like. And why did I buy two bags of some before even trying. Lol.
Man that meat looks awesome! As for the unused pellets just keep using them. Put 'em in a smoke tube. Don't forget to try Pit Boss Charcoal pellets. They sell those only at Walmart. Those are decent as well and give off a slight charcoal smell when cooking.

Elfcane

Reaction score
When I have pellets that I'm not crazy about, I blow through these cooking hot and fast. Unfortunately I have too many bags of the ones I'm not crazy about... :D

MKinHB

Reaction score
Good video Mike,
I just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods, they don't sell guns but they do sell Lumber Jack Pellets.
I picked up a bag of Char Hickory pellets, ($14.99) anyone use these before?
And if so how did you like them?
They also had Competition Blend but I don't know what's in it.

Attachments

• 20210611_154211.jpg
    20210611_154211.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 2

Elfcane

Reaction score
Good video Mike,
I just got back from Dick's Sporting Goods, they don't sell guns but they do sell Lumber Jack Pellets.
I picked up a bag of Char Hickory pellets, ($14.99) anyone use these before?
And if so how did you like them?
They also had Competition Blend but I don't know what's in it.
These are my go to now. I believe they are 50 red oak, 40 hickory and 10 charcoal. When paired with the tube these are excellent. If you're a sifter, depending on the sifter, you'll need to make sure that your holes are smaller in diameter as these are thinner than other brands. A little more ashy than others because of the bark content but no big deal.
I tried the comp blend first but I like these more as they have more of a color and stronger taste IMO. I blend the two now if I want something of a milder sweeter smoke. The comp blend is equal parts maple, hickory and cherry. This combo with the Jim Beam in the tube has the neighbors smelling. Jim Beam in a glass optional as well... :p

Edchad

Reaction score
Man that meat looks awesome! As for the unused pellets just keep using them. Put 'em in a smoke tube. Don't forget to try Pit Boss Charcoal pellets. They sell those only at Walmart. Those are decent as well and give off a slight charcoal smell when cooking.
Mike. I was in Walmart this morning looking thru the piles. They need to straighten that mess out since the holiday. Anyway lo and behold I saw a bag tossed in with a bunch of other stuff. Grabbed it and kept digging around and found another. Looked a little while longer and didn’t see anymore. Got home and opened one bag that had a small hole in it anyway and burnt some in my 6” tube. Got em smoldering and blew the flame out. Waited a few and darn they kinda smelled like regular ol charcoal burning.
High hopes because I can see those as the main fuel and my ‘modified’ tube doing its thing. Lol. Oh. My brother has some heavy duty industrial ziplock bags in a couple different sizes. One is perfect for a 20 lb bag. That’s where the opened bag went.
And when the wife got in last night and ate it was the first time since I got that vertical that she actually commented on how good and Smokey that LB was.
hope it works for you this weeekend. I think you said you were gonna try? And thanks for the heads up on the PB Charcoal pellets!

Edchad

Reaction score
Ok. I tried the Pit Boss Charcoal pellets this afternoon. I was heck- bent on trying these so yesterday I emptied mine out and even ran out thru the auger what few were in there. I noticed a bunch of dust in there at bottom of auger while watching this. I got a sifter on order. Anyway my wife was wanting some bbq chicken breasts. Knowing this would be a short cook I made sure all of the other pellets were out
and poured a 20 lb bag of the charcoal pellets in and ran until they were certainly the only things in there.
cooked 5 pretty large pcs chicken And used my 6” tube with the Hickory chip/Kingsford hickory recipe. Slow for an hour or so using S and eventually setting to 200. Then sauced up both sides flipped and cranked it up to 400 for an internal of 165/175.
It almost brought a tear to my eye when I got only the second compliment since I’ve got this thing from the wife. Lol. Her exact words were hey this tastes like what my dad used to cook on a little charcoal grill.
Well, I was sold. I hadn’t even told her what I used or anything and she picked up on the charcoal. I could taste and smell it. Although much milder than real briquettes it was there. So I feel like I finally won again. Another favorite! Still the Kingsford Hickory and now the Pit Boss Charcoal.
For a fast simple cook it was pretty darn good.

HuntJ08

Reaction score
As I said when this post began a while back, I use the charcoal as an "accent" in a blend of my own.
PB Competition--4 parts to 1 part Charcoal
PB Apple and Hickory--2 parts each to 1 part Charcoal

I typically use Apple in my smoke tube to finish off with a little sweeter taste.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I have mixed charcoal and hickory pellets several times. Sometimes I will use just charocal, sometimes as a mix.

Here's another good one

Latest Discussions