Surprised no company has come up with a controller upgrade for the masses...

I have put feelers out to two companies that make PID controllers to see if they are interested or able to make a pellet PID controller for around $200......volume may be the biggest issue.

On another note....I could make the PID controller, as I already have for my charcoal Akorn smoker....but am not as savvy with iPhone app programming for sure. See below the one I made and programmed with a 3D printed fan blower and servo damper. Won't work for a Pellet Smoker...and it needs some better packaging....LoL...!

View attachment 927

View attachment 928
Which Camp chef controller did you install in your Pitboss? Does it stabilize the temps and use less pellets? I have heard the RecTeq controller is great due to the programming of the controller to pulse the fan...does CampChef PID do that?

I am thinking of buying a new controller for my 1150PS2 due to the issues with the Pitboss controller.

Savannah Stokers are probably the best controller for it's price. Smoke Daddy's new version is right up there with the Stoker.

Savannah has been talking about wireless for awhile now and based on what they told me there is an interest, but no rush on it. When it comes to wireless you have to have the right software to run it on your iPhone or Android it is pain to outsource it and keep the app updated..blah blah.

Muxall I was interested in and he is going down the right path and what is interesting the way you can set up the controller. It is nice to see more options out there, but Pit Boss is in the game to sell as many grills as they can and not spend too much time on the finer things like a PID controller...again it is a budget friendly grill company as you get what you pay for when it comes to PB.

Pit Boss has too many different models of pellet grills they should have kept it simple with 3 or 4 models and provide a better PID controller by working with Savannah Stoker or even Muxall.

Re wireless. If the controller works like it's supposed to, why would you need to check it constantly.? Is rather have true control and no wireless than wireless and open loop.

Re wireless. If the controller works like it's supposed to, why would you need to check it constantly.? Is rather have true control and no wireless than wireless and open loop.
I agree as I never use the wireless App for my Yoder Pellet grill.

The only thing I use the wireless app for is when doing a long cook like a brisket and I check the temp at 0200 in the morning, it nice to have but for me not really a necessity.

Savannah Stokers are probably the best controller for it's price. Smoke Daddy's new version is right up there with the Stoker.

Savannah has been talking about wireless for awhile now and based on what they told me there is an interest, but no rush on it. When it comes to wireless you have to have the right software to run it on your iPhone or Android it is pain to outsource it and keep the app updated..blah blah.

Muxall I was interested in and he is going down the right path and what is interesting the way you can set up the controller. It is nice to see more options out there, but Pit Boss is in the game to sell as many grills as they can and not spend too much time on the finer things like a PID controller...again it is a budget friendly grill company as you get what you pay for when it comes to PB.

Pit Boss has too many different models of pellet grills they should have kept it simple with 3 or 4 models and provide a better PID controller by working with Savannah Stoker or even Muxall.
I like the Muxall for the amount of flexibility. I do agree I think Pitboss should have one controller that they focus on, they could use different firmware for different sized grill, in reality three firmware to cover different sized grill.

Which Camp chef controller did you install in your Pitboss? Does it stabilize the temps and use less pellets? I have heard the RecTeq controller is great due to the programming of the controller to pulse the fan...does CampChef PID do that?

I am thinking of buying a new controller for my 1150PS2 due to the issues with the Pitboss controller.
>>>... does CampChef PID do that?

From what I have witnessed to date, the CampChef PID only runs the fan continuously.
In their product features for the Gen2 PID, they state "Continuous fan provides even heat and smoke"

The wireless App has been useful to learn the characteristics of the pellet grill. It is easier to check on the grill status inside the house rather than running outside to look at the display. I also have a separate wireless thermometer that i can do side by side comparisons of grill and meat temps. As time goes on and I learn to trust and understand the pellet grill, I will loosen up on watching it so closely.

I am looking to add a PID controller to an old Sam’s club smoker I have to give to my dad. Do you think the camp chef WiFi would work?

RecTec used to sell their controllers.....but they don't unless you have a RT Smoker. I installed one on my PB S4 V2.....and now I get 5 deg increments, a great app and a Probe offset to make the grill read the same as the grate temperature. Super easy install too.....after I crimped and soldered on the same Pit Boss Connectors for the power and the RTD. Now I can switch back, when they fixed the PB controllers in about 5 mins.

Smoke Daddy sells a Universal Autotune PID Smoker Controller....the issue is that with the WIFI option, it is $300! PID Controller Link

View attachment 923

View attachment 924
also the smoke daddy with wifi will only work with 2.4ghz direct connect, most of the new routers(xfinity for sure) today do automatic switching and the smoke daddy app will not work on these type set ups. I checked with the company and they confirmed.

also the smoke daddy with wifi will only work with 2.4ghz direct connect, most of the new routers(xfinity for sure) today do automatic switching and the smoke daddy app will not work on these type set ups. I checked with the company and they confirmed.
You can give separate SSID names for the 5G and 2.4G......using an extra router as an access point....if Comcast won't allow u to split it. That's the way I did it

Latest Discussions

Back