Smoke IT app won't connect via Wi-Fi and only connects to Bluetooth within 5 feet.

Former Network administrator here. I disagree that most new(ish) home routers share the SSIDs between their 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. In my experience, most will have a different SSID for each band. So when you're setting up your grill/smoker, it's important to choose the SSID of the 2.4 GHz band - as well as having the device you're going to be using to connect to the smoker (smart phone, iPad, etc) connected to the 2.4 GHz band.

As for your modifications... While clever, I don't feel the average "Joe Smoker" wants to go through that trouble. Nor should they have to. Pit Boss and other manufacturers who wish to put Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity into their products need to make that technology work for the average user, at reasonable distances, and with average home network technology.
No problem....understand your concern. Just trying to be helpful with what worked for me. I do admit that I go a lot further to fix issues, because I am an electrical/network engineer and love the challenge. And while I totally agree with your assessment that Pit Boss should fix this issue themselves.....in this case, their answer will be to removed the controller and send it to them....for a replacement....that's what they wanted me to do.....so if that is the solution...then moving the antennae will actually be easier, because they would have to take the the controller out anyway and now they don't have to send it to back to them.

On your first point.....most but not all new home routers....TP-Link, Netgear, D-Link, Asus.....have Smart Connect setup as a default which combines both SSID into one band. You have to turn it off to gain access to the 2.4G directly. It's even worse with Provider Wireless Gateways from Comcast or AT&T....they make it much more difficult to get to their settings. I actually just took a cheap $10 router and put it near my garage that is only for my outside Wireless gear that is 2.4G.
Here is the setting.....https://www.digitalcitizen.life/smart-connect/

It's always good to have an opinion....but it's even better to have a solution.....so I try to help by offering what works for this old knuckle grinder.....

Now I understand your user name.
Bingo! (Most don't get it. LOL)
My 35-year career in IT ran the gamut from Mainframe Operator to Network Admin (hence LANShark) to Backup/Storage Engineer. And pretty much everything in between. ;)

No problem....understand your concern. Just trying to be helpful with what worked for me. I do admit that I go a lot further to fix issues, because I am an electrical/network engineer and love the challenge. And while I totally agree with your assessment that Pit Boss should fix this issue themselves.....in this case, their answer will be to removed the controller and send it to them....for a replacement....that's what they wanted me to do.....so if that is the solution...then moving the antennae will actually be easier, because they would have to take the the controller out anyway and now they don't have to send it to back to them.

On your first point.....most but not all new home routers....TP-Link, Netgear, D-Link, Asus.....have Smart Connect setup as a default which combines both SSID into one band. You have to turn it off to gain access to the 2.4G directly. It's even worse with Provider Wireless Gateways from Comcast or AT&T....they make it much more difficult to get to their settings. I actually just took a cheap $10 router and put it near my garage that is only for my outside Wireless gear that is 2.4G.
Here is the setting.....https://www.digitalcitizen.life/smart-connect/

It's always good to have an opinion....but it's even better to have a solution.....so I try to help by offering what works for this old knuckle grinder.....
We were strictly a Cisco shop at work (largest Catholic Healthcare organization in the US) so I didn't see a lot of variety there. We used their Catalyst equipment. As for my personal/home use, I had a different experience than yours. Everything I've used for the past 10+ years offered the ability to differentiate between the two bands. YMMV

We were strictly a Cisco shop at work (largest Catholic Healthcare organization in the US) so I didn't see a lot of variety there. We used their Catalyst equipment. As for my personal/home use, I had a different experience than yours. Everything I've used for the past 10+ years offered the ability to differentiate between the two bands. YMMV
Oh....I see the misunderstanding. Yes....all new routers give the ability to split the two bands....BUT they default out of the box now to sharing the same SSID, due to Smart Connect Feature. In most cases, you have to change the setting manually....and that is what I was trying to tell him to do.....my apologies for not being more clear.

I will have to check it and force my phone to the 2.4 it is normally on 5.
Did that help? Most IoT home devices like cameras, smart bulbs, power outlets (AND SMOKERS!) want to connect at 2.4 GHz. The good news about that is that it has better range than 5 GHz. And they generally don't need the increased speeds 5 GHz provides.

After rereading your original post, it almost sounds like your phone is connecting via Bluetooth when you're within 5' since Bluetooth has a much more limited range than WiFi. Have you looked at the Bluetooth settings on your phone to check for that when it does connect? I know that doesn't fix your issue, but it is one possible explanation.

Oh....I see the misunderstanding. Yes....all new routers give the ability to split the two bands....BUT they default out of the box now to sharing the same SSID, due to Smart Connect Feature. In most cases, you have to change the setting manually....and that is what I was trying to tell him to do.....my apologies for not being more clear.
Now that you say that, it's possible the routers I've used (Netgear, Eero) default that same way and I just chose to ignore that option when initially installing them, since I have cameras, smart outlets, smart bulbs, etc, that all need to differentiate between 2.4 and 5. If that's the case it's my turn to apologize! I know we're both just trying to lend our expertise to NickM324 to get him up and running. (I have a strong sense that many WiFi issues with these smokers are simply a matter of an (understandable) lack of the necessary technical knowledge. Networking (even home networking) is NOT for the faint of heart! LOL

Cheers!!

When I first set up my 850 pro2 I had a connection. Later I didn’t. Unplugged the the grill for a bit, and then and since have had no problem

I will have to check it and force my phone to the 2.4 it is normally on 5.
I had this same issue getting mine connected as well as my Inkbird thermometer. My SSID is the same for both 2.4 and 5. had to disable 5 to get them connected the enable 5 again with no issues since.

I upgraded my controller to the Wi-Fi version. Bluetooth worked fine. Wi-Fi was very hit/miss. Mostly miss. Problem appeared to be related to signal strength. My router is in line of sight through a glass window and often the Pit-Boss could not hold a Wi-Fi connection. My ChargePoint EVSE which is also outside near the grill never has trouble with Wi-Fi connection. So... I decided to add an external Wi-Fi antenna to my PitBoss. Very easy to do. It is a simple matter of ordering the antenna and cable kit, drill a hole in the metal cabinet, and connect the antenna. Now I have full bars of Wi-Fi signal showing on the app. Almost any WiFi antenna kit should work. Just make sure you order the connector size that is for Mini PCI Express network card. Here is the link to the Amazon kit I installed. I only needed 1/2 of the kit, as only one antenna is needed.
Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 8.23.45 PM.png

Does the other end of the wire hook to the board or the external wire? Thanks

Does the other end of the wire hook to the board or the external wire? Thanks
You disconnect the existing antenna wire which goes to a very small hidden internal antenna. Then you take the new external antenna wire and snap it to the board connector where the previous wire once was connected.

Thank you, was hoping it would be that easy. If you get a chance next time please show us were you mounted yours, on the back, side, by the controller? Thanks for sharing your fix.

Update: I tried everything mentioned and still no luck. I was going to add the external antenna but if it works as it should I should have a signal next to the smoker. Called support. I had to go-to locations app permissions and allow it then have another option on for better connections. I did that and my networks all showed up. Hope this may help others. I'm on Android. Now if I have a distance issue I will add the antenna. Thanks

Latest Discussions

Back