Pro Series 1600 firmware "out of the box"

Fudd

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a different pellet grill and I always get into analysis paralysis on just about everything I buy.

I keep looking (drooling) at the 1600 at Lowe's and love everything about it from a build quality and features perspective. However, across the board people's feedback is the controller sucks unless you send it in to have the firmware updated to get 10 degree increments and it come up to temp in a reasonable time. Which kind of rubs me the wrong way because my current grill (I'm not saying brand because I'm new and don't want people thinking I'm trolling) will update firmware over WiFi.

My questions is, since Pit Boss acknowledges the issue hence the firmware update, are the newer ones coming with updated firmware? I really don't want to go get the grill today and then have to immediately open a support ticket to send the controller for my new grill back to get updated. I've seen some posted that are dated very recently having the issue which isn't giving me warm and fuzzies about it being addressed on the new stock.

I opened a support ticket with PitBoss asking the question since I can't seem to find a general question email address.

Fireteam6

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a different pellet grill and I always get into analysis paralysis on just about everything I buy.

I keep looking (drooling) at the 1600 at Lowe's and love everything about it from a build quality and features perspective. However, across the board people's feedback is the controller sucks unless you send it in to have the firmware updated to get 10 degree increments and it come up to temp in a reasonable time. Which kind of rubs me the wrong way because my current grill (I'm not saying brand because I'm new and don't want people thinking I'm trolling) will update firmware over WiFi.

My questions is, since Pit Boss acknowledges the issue hence the firmware update, are the newer ones coming with updated firmware? I really don't want to go get the grill today and then have to immediately open a support ticket to send the controller for my new grill back to get updated. I've seen some posted that are dated very recently having the issue which isn't giving me warm and fuzzies about it being addressed on the new stock.

I opened a support ticket with PitBoss asking the question since I can't seem to find a general question email address.
The issue might even be more than PitBoss, I am not saying they are running out there making all the updates in a timely manner, but I think the vendor are also moving oldest first.

The turnaround has been fast, I bought mine hoping the update had been made, but it had not, but well worth it.

Fudd

Reaction score
The issue might even be more than PitBoss, I am not saying they are running out there making all the updates in a timely manner, but I think the vendor are also moving oldest first.

The turnaround has been fast, I bought mine hoping the update had been made, but it had not, but well worth it.
Yeah. I know it's a gamble not knowing what age the stock is in at Lowe's. But I'm more wondering if Pit Boss is even sending new ones out with the firmware update yet. It seems, judging by people posts, a pretty new update.

I'm glad to here it's worth it! I just struggle buying something that is arguably broken and can't really use it right until the PID is addressed.

And I really hope the 3rd party vendor that does the app can get it together and provide functionality to update firmware without sending it in. But I also understand they are pretty new to this and the software for my current grill had it's growing pains as well to get where it is today.

Fireteam6

Reaction score
Yeah. I know it's a gamble not knowing what age the stock is in at Lowe's. But I'm more wondering if Pit Boss is even sending new ones out with the firmware update yet. It seems, judging by people posts, a pretty new update.

I'm glad to here it's worth it! I just struggle buying something that is arguably broken and can't really use it right until the PID is addressed.

And I really hope the 3rd party vendor that does the app can get it together and provide functionality to update firmware without sending it in. But I also understand they are pretty new to this and the software for my current grill had it's growing pains as well to get where it is today.
I think Pitboss is playing the game of statistics, how many will actually get returned for updates vice them updating all their controllers. I think they don't take into account how many people buying Pitboss grills are serious grillers and do the research.

I will tell you that I did a Brisket on mine before sending it in and it came out amazing, I think even better than my 1100.

I absolutely agree the app needs some work, the only thing I use it for is to change the temperature if I need to adjust, but I really use my fireboard more for temperature information.

Fudd

Reaction score
I think Pitboss is playing the game of statistics, how many will actually get returned for updates vice them updating all their controllers. I think they don't take into account how many people buying Pitboss grills are serious grillers and do the research.

I will tell you that I did a Brisket on mine before sending it in and it came out amazing, I think even better than my 1100.

I absolutely agree the app needs some work, the only thing I use it for is to change the temperature if I need to adjust, but I really use my fireboard more for temperature information.
Thanks Fireteam! I appreciate the feedback!