Pro Series 1600 firmware "out of the box"

Fudd

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a different pellet grill and I always get into analysis paralysis on just about everything I buy.

I keep looking (drooling) at the 1600 at Lowe's and love everything about it from a build quality and features perspective. However, across the board people's feedback is the controller sucks unless you send it in to have the firmware updated to get 10 degree increments and it come up to temp in a reasonable time. Which kind of rubs me the wrong way because my current grill (I'm not saying brand because I'm new and don't want people thinking I'm trolling) will update firmware over WiFi.

My questions is, since Pit Boss acknowledges the issue hence the firmware update, are the newer ones coming with updated firmware? I really don't want to go get the grill today and then have to immediately open a support ticket to send the controller for my new grill back to get updated. I've seen some posted that are dated very recently having the issue which isn't giving me warm and fuzzies about it being addressed on the new stock.

I opened a support ticket with PitBoss asking the question since I can't seem to find a general question email address.

I'm looking at getting a different pellet grill and I always get into analysis paralysis on just about everything I buy.

I keep looking (drooling) at the 1600 at Lowe's and love everything about it from a build quality and features perspective. However, across the board people's feedback is the controller sucks unless you send it in to have the firmware updated to get 10 degree increments and it come up to temp in a reasonable time. Which kind of rubs me the wrong way because my current grill (I'm not saying brand because I'm new and don't want people thinking I'm trolling) will update firmware over WiFi.

My questions is, since Pit Boss acknowledges the issue hence the firmware update, are the newer ones coming with updated firmware? I really don't want to go get the grill today and then have to immediately open a support ticket to send the controller for my new grill back to get updated. I've seen some posted that are dated very recently having the issue which isn't giving me warm and fuzzies about it being addressed on the new stock.

I opened a support ticket with PitBoss asking the question since I can't seem to find a general question email address.
The issue might even be more than PitBoss, I am not saying they are running out there making all the updates in a timely manner, but I think the vendor are also moving oldest first.

The turnaround has been fast, I bought mine hoping the update had been made, but it had not, but well worth it.

The issue might even be more than PitBoss, I am not saying they are running out there making all the updates in a timely manner, but I think the vendor are also moving oldest first.

The turnaround has been fast, I bought mine hoping the update had been made, but it had not, but well worth it.
Yeah. I know it's a gamble not knowing what age the stock is in at Lowe's. But I'm more wondering if Pit Boss is even sending new ones out with the firmware update yet. It seems, judging by people posts, a pretty new update.

I'm glad to here it's worth it! I just struggle buying something that is arguably broken and can't really use it right until the PID is addressed.

And I really hope the 3rd party vendor that does the app can get it together and provide functionality to update firmware without sending it in. But I also understand they are pretty new to this and the software for my current grill had it's growing pains as well to get where it is today.

Yeah. I know it's a gamble not knowing what age the stock is in at Lowe's. But I'm more wondering if Pit Boss is even sending new ones out with the firmware update yet. It seems, judging by people posts, a pretty new update.

I'm glad to here it's worth it! I just struggle buying something that is arguably broken and can't really use it right until the PID is addressed.

And I really hope the 3rd party vendor that does the app can get it together and provide functionality to update firmware without sending it in. But I also understand they are pretty new to this and the software for my current grill had it's growing pains as well to get where it is today.
I think Pitboss is playing the game of statistics, how many will actually get returned for updates vice them updating all their controllers. I think they don't take into account how many people buying Pitboss grills are serious grillers and do the research.

I will tell you that I did a Brisket on mine before sending it in and it came out amazing, I think even better than my 1100.

I absolutely agree the app needs some work, the only thing I use it for is to change the temperature if I need to adjust, but I really use my fireboard more for temperature information.

I think Pitboss is playing the game of statistics, how many will actually get returned for updates vice them updating all their controllers. I think they don't take into account how many people buying Pitboss grills are serious grillers and do the research.

I will tell you that I did a Brisket on mine before sending it in and it came out amazing, I think even better than my 1100.

I absolutely agree the app needs some work, the only thing I use it for is to change the temperature if I need to adjust, but I really use my fireboard more for temperature information.
Thanks Fireteam! I appreciate the feedback!

So my 1600 was missing the temperature knob. Not a big deal. PitBoss said they don't have just the knob, but would send a whole new controller. Seems wasteful for a 50 cent knob, but ok. Waited 2-3 months for the new controller hoping it would be firmware upgraded with the smaller temperature increments I'm desperate to have. Removed the bottom panel and had three screws that were frozen in place. PITA and the screws are trashed. Not the end of the world. Put the new controller in to find out that it does NOT have any different temperature increments than the old one. Now I have to find replacement screws. Would have been better off ordering a generic knob on Ebay and saving myself the friggin' hassle. Otherwise I like the grill, but the temp/app issues are really aggravating.

So my 1600 was missing the temperature knob. Not a big deal. PitBoss said they don't have just the knob, but would send a whole new controller. Seems wasteful for a 50 cent knob, but ok. Waited 2-3 months for the new controller hoping it would be firmware upgraded with the smaller temperature increments I'm desperate to have. Removed the bottom panel and had three screws that were frozen in place. PITA and the screws are trashed. Not the end of the world. Put the new controller in to find out that it does NOT have any different temperature increments than the old one. Now I have to find replacement screws. Would have been better off ordering a generic knob on Ebay and saving myself the friggin' hassle. Otherwise I like the grill, but the temp/app issues are really aggravating.
Mine wasn’t missing the knob but had the temperature issues. I tested it on day one after assembling it. I called explained that I ran the learning scenario and no improvement. They said they would send a new board. I asked if they want me to send old one in for update. She said no they have them and are just shipping them out. 2 weeks later, it arrived today (I would paid for the upgrade from FedEx ground to get it to NC from WA in a couple of days but that was never offered.) just installed new board and plugged it in went to S setting and I went to trim it up with the knob and still has the 200, 225 temps, no 10 degree increment. I am testing it now to see if it is any different but what a disappointment. I am still waiting for the replacement control bird that they said they would send in November 2020 for the Pit Boss 1150 pro series that has the same problem. We will see how this new controller works but I want the 10* increments.
I used an impact driver to get the screws out of the bottom and did not have any problems.
A9BDC3BD-B4EB-409E-BE83-2D9E959C5DCB.jpeg
View attachment 1124

Bought the 850 and decided it was not big enough. Took it back and up graded to the 1150 with no questions ask, just paid the difference. Called Pit boss right away to upgrade the controller and they told me to keep the one I have and they sent me the updated one with the 10 and 25 degree increments. Only took 6 days to get the new one and I will be trying it out tomorrow. Customer service was great.

Bought the 850 and decided it was not big enough. Took it back and up graded to the 1150 with no questions ask, just paid the difference. Called Pit boss right away to upgrade the controller and they told me to keep the one I have and they sent me the updated one with the 10 and 25 degree increments. Only took 6 days to get the new one and I will be trying it out tomorrow. Customer service was great.
When I called them about the 1600 controller I was told that they don’t have the 1150 controller. I have actually spoke to the same rep numerous times when calling for an update on the 1150 controller. Crazy thing is that they look the same to me. Maybe they sent me an old one. Even the smoke it app wants to change to work with the older controller’s temps. I will be calling them tomorrow to ask more questions. Thanks for the information!

When I called them about the 1600 controller I was told that they don’t have the 1150 controller. I have actually spoke to the same rep numerous times when calling for an update on the 1150 controller. Crazy thing is that they look the same to me. Maybe they sent me an old one. Even the smoke it app wants to change to work with the older controller’s temps. I will be calling them tomorrow to ask more questions. Thanks for the information!
The new one looks just like the old one but I switched it out and checked it out and the temps. are in 10 and 25 degree increments. I will be trying it out tomorrow and post the results.

The new one looks just like the old one but I switched it out and checked it out and the temps. are in 10 and 25 degree increments. I will be trying it out tomorrow and post the results.
I understand the controllers look the same. The pictures I posted show the difference on the version label. I’m looking at the 1150 and the 1600 the controllers look alike as well. Same controller for both Pro Series smoker. I’m not understanding why they tell me the 1150 controller is still on back order when they say they have the “new” 1600 controller to send me without returning the “old” one for a flash update. The “replacement” that I received today for the 1600 does not have the 10 degree increments at 200. I will contact Dansons tomorrow to inquire about the issues. In testing the lower (<300*) temps are still quite a bit off (50*+). I’m getting less than 200* actual temp in the barrel at 300 on set temp and display. The probes included are registering close what my calibrated probe is reading. At startup all 5 probes I have connected including the barrel temp probe read the same. I have replaced the barrel temp probe as well. Bad/old replacement control board is my guess but I will see what customer service has for a recommendation for a remedy. I also cannot take pictures of the “new” display as it seems to scroll right to left on my camera. The old/original display did not do that.

UPDATE---I filled out a service ticket asking about a firmware upgrade. The next day I got an email to confirm my shipping address for a NEW controller with the upgraded firmware. Kudos to PB for the quick reply and minimal hassle. If it arrives and works as promised, I will have no complaints at all about the grill. Thanx PB!!

So my 1600 was missing the temperature knob. Not a big deal. PitBoss said they don't have just the knob, but would send a whole new controller. Seems wasteful for a 50 cent knob, but ok. Waited 2-3 months for the new controller hoping it would be firmware upgraded with the smaller temperature increments I'm desperate to have. Removed the bottom panel and had three screws that were frozen in place. PITA and the screws are trashed. Not the eworld. Put the new controller in to find out that it does NOT have any different temperature increments than the old one. Now I have to find replacement screws. Would have been better off ordering a generic knob on Ebay and saving myself the friggin' hassle. Otherwise I like the grill, but the
I understand the controllers look the same. The pictures I posted show the difference on the version label. I’m looking at the 1150 and the 1600 the controllers look alike as well. Same controller for both Pro Series smoker. I’m not understanding why they tell me the 1150 controller is still on back order when they say they have the “new” 1600 controller to send me without returning the “old” one for a flash update. The “replacement” that I received today for the 1600 does not have the 10 degree increments at 200. I will contact Dansons tomorrow to inquire about the issues. In testing the lower (<300*) temps are still quite a bit off (50*+). I’m getting less than 200* actual temp in the barrel at 300 on set temp and display. The probes included are registering close what my calibrated probe is reading. At startup all 5 probes I have connected including the barrel temp probe read the same. I have replaced the barrel temp probe as well. Bad/old replacement control board is my guess but I will see what customer service has for a recommendation for a remedy. I also cannot take pictures of the “new” display as it seems to scroll right to left on my camera. The old/original display did not do that.
After testing and running the “learning” sequence, the replacement control board that I received and installed has the same issues as the “out of the box” controller. I called Dansons/PitBoss today about the issues. I was told that the controller I was shipped was the one with the 25* increments as the controllers that had the 10* increments are gone and are back ordered. The Cust Service rep inquired about what could be done and she was informed that the board needs to be taught to get hotter. Set at temp and use the prime button to get it to that temp. I asked if they told her a sequence or program to try (I have already done the learning sequence that they suggested before 2x) and she replied no, they are telling me to use the prime button. I asked if I could send the controller(s) in to be flashed and she replied “No” they are just shipping new ones. We also discussed why I haven’t received a new controller for the 1150 that I have been waiting for since November 2020 and she was flabbergasted that I have not received one yet, but they are also still on back order. I hope others have a better experience and they can get the parts in and shipped to us.

Latest Discussions

Back