Pit Boss Pro 850 is a PUZZLE

Agreed, GeorgiaBoy!!

I just got off the phone (via Warranty Support) with someone at PitBoss. In about 45 seconds, he was able to tell me all I was looking for that's missing in the manual! Wow...
THANK YOU, EVERYONE; especially for your patience.

I appreciate the concern, but I didn't buy this thing with the intention of hunting down instructions within a maze-forum of countless entries. I simply want some direction on setting this thing up for smoking. There's a tremendous number of instructions out there via this forum, YouTube, websites, etc., but I didn't expect to have to go on a seemingly endless data-mining effort. Why didn't Pit Boss simply publish some instructions?!It really usn

I thought I was getting into a great grill/smoker with this Pit Boss Pro 850. However, I'm finding out there's no support outside this forum, nor is there any direction that correlates to my grill on "how to smoke" with it!! Good grief, is it such a secret that Pit Boss left such info out of their publications? I bought this thing as a grill/smoker, not a PUZZLE!!!
Would someone please give me some direction on just how I'm supposed to use this thing aside from turning it on, adjusting temperature, and turning it off?
It isn't rocket science. Did you follow the instructions that came with the smoker? It sounds like you just opened the smoker, plugged it it and by some Easter miracle, things would just happen. Instead of complaining about it, read the instructions. They are very simple, step-by-step instructions that will get you on your way. If you tell the group SPECIFICALLY what problems you are having, we can help.

Collectively, the folks in these forums have decades of experience when it comes to smoking meat, temps, controllers, rigs, grilling, probes, barbecue, and troubleshooting. Personally, I've been at it for about 30+ years and I STILL ask questions and I am STILL learning. For example, I never made pastrami, but I asked, and got some great suggestions, simple recipes, and great ideas. And come next week, pastrami will be on the menu at my house.

If you can't get answers here, just sell the rig and buy an air-fryer.

Agreed, GeorgiaBoy!!

I just got off the phone (via Warranty Support) with someone at PitBoss. In about 45 seconds, he was able to tell me all I was looking for that's missing in the manual! Wow...
THANK YOU, EVERYONE; especially for your patience.
Great! Now maybe describe what you found with support and share. That is the purpose of this forum. It may help the next guy (or gal) down the line who maybe in the same boat you were in.
It took me 3 or 4 cooks before I realized how to change the p setting. But I have a competition series which has a different controller than yours. My advice would have been useless for you.

It isn't rocket science. Did you follow the instructions that came with the smoker? It sounds like you just opened the smoker, plugged it it and by some Easter miracle, things would just happen. Instead of complaining about it, read the instructions. They are very simple, step-by-step instructions that will get you on your way. If you tell the group SPECIFICALLY what problems you are having, we can help.

Collectively, the folks in these forums have decades of experience when it comes to smoking meat, temps, controllers, rigs, grilling, probes, barbecue, and troubleshooting. Personally, I've been at it for about 30+ years and I STILL ask questions and I am STILL learning. For example, I never made pastrami, but I asked, and got some great suggestions, simple recipes, and great ideas. And come next week, pastrami will be on the menu at my house.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Had you spent the time to actually READ the postings, instead of taking time to dream-up a colorful soliloquy, you would've realized the point was that there were no such instructions. Yes, folks have been extra helpful...All I needed to know was the "Smoke" setting, and they gleefully helped me out with it.

Had you spent the time to actually READ the postings, instead of taking time to dream-up a colorful soliloquy, you would've realized the point was that there were no such instructions. Yes, folks have been extra helpful...All I needed to know was the "Smoke" setting, and they gleefully helped me out with it.
Well, I also bought a PB Pro Series 850 6 weeks ago, and there was indeed an instruction book that came with the rig. I opened it read it, and followed the instructions. I had it up and ready to go within an hour or so. I did my first cook the same day and it came out great The only issue I had was with the wfi (app), but I figured it out and posted the solution in the forums.

Back