Pellet issues

Collinscincy

Reaction score
Hello! We have a vertical smoker which requires pellets. I can't figure out why it won't hold the temperature. We noticed some pellets clumped on the sides. Would this be the issue? I would guess it's caused from moisture in the air. This holds a lot of pellets! Should we only put a small amount in it?

Hello! We have a vertical smoker which requires pellets. I can't figure out why it won't hold the temperature. We noticed some pellets clumped on the sides. Would this be the issue? I would guess it's caused from moisture in the air. This holds a lot of pellets! Should we only put a small amount in it?
What model do you have?

I have a PBV5 COMP, it holds about 60lbs of pellets, full or half empty has never been a problem.
Have you tried a preheat to 350F and then lowering the temp 50-75 degrees in steps to get to a desired smoke temp?
Are you using the water pan?
Set the smoke stack damper so about 1/4" gap between top of stack and lower rim of the cap...

Clumping is probably moisture related so look into that.

Regarding holding the temp in my experience my vertical needs a good warm up period to settle in and maintain. Usually I start with a 300+F mainly as a a sanitizing burn off. That takes 20-30 minutes. Then I set the target temp and let that settle in. That can take a bit of time. By far for me once that is reached it pretty much stays there.

But keep in mind what temp the controller says and what is actually inside can differ and usually does. Experience will help to know what you need to do for you controller setting.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back