Firmware Update for Pit Boss Pro Series 850?

Well as things go, took longer to get around to installing it than I had hoped. Got the new firmware for 10 degree from 190 to 300. 25 increments to 400 and then I think 50 to max. I am planning on giving it a more thorough test a little later but pretty happy as of now. Hoping that my massive temp swings are also gone and that will be the test for later today. If they are not gone, at least I will have a little finer control over the therm.
I did a 12lbs brisket on with the new controller last night it was perfect.

I think we 850 owners need to start pressuring Pit Boss to the point they concede that their controllers need to be updated like the ones on the 1150. Maybe with enough calls about that temperature GAP, the missing NEEDED temperature settings they might get something going. I like to cook at 250* a lot and when set to 250* it really is only at 220* - 230*, so I play the same game you do to try to keep 250* , turn up to 300* (gets too hot) then turn down to 250* (really 230*) just to maintain 250* App Assist told me that they probably will eventually but it won't be for a while. So maybe WE need to push them a little harder.
If we had 10 degree increments, that would solve the problems like we are having.
Same exactly thing here. This thing is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. And the only answer I can get from customer service is "No. Sorry".

Not sure I'll have to see , what's the difference?
No clue. MKinHB got his update a while back so mine being a lower number is a head-scratcher. Just trying to determine what version seems common the recent controllers.

Finally got my replacement controller installed this morning. And yes it does have the upgraded firmware with 10 degree temp increments. Haven't cooked with it yet, just did a quick turn on to see if everything worked and to check for the new firmware. Excited to do a 1st cook.

Anyone familiar with a new phone app for this firmware?

Any tips when calling in to customer service? It would be nice to get the controller with the new firmware! Also how easy is it to install, unfortunately for me its winter time in Chicago and I would be installing this bad boy outside.

Any tips when calling in to customer service? It would be nice to get the controller with the new firmware! Also how easy is it to install, unfortunately for me its winter time in Chicago and I would be installing this bad boy outside.
tell them your smoker will not hold the set temperatures, tell them you always have to adjust the temp setting to keep a desired temperature.
They did not send me a controller with the new firmware, they had me send mine in to a place that did the update, I think in Oregon.
I actually sent a second one in and they updated it and sent it back, I now have two with the update and two without.

I agree with MKinHB about saying you have temperature issues. I recently replaced my original controller with one with the updated firmware. The hardest part of the replacement was depressing the little clips to remove the old unit. Otherwise simple. Take a photo of the wires for reference but really an easy job. At least without frozen fingers:( good luck. The 10 degree increments are great.

I appreciate the quick responses, I'll take the advice and report back once I get the controller back. Happy smoking!

I am wondering what stock Lowes has on the 850 now. I am thinking of going to another pit boss (had a Lexington a few years ago and it sucked, returned it) I want a PID controller, being a home brewer it is the only way to deal with temps more than the timed based stuff. I have been also thinking of the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 but it is a few hundred more.

Check Lowe's web site for your local store, their inventory they show is pretty accurate

Check Lowe's web site for your local store, their inventory they show is pretty accurate
What I meant was with the updated firmware. its useless to buy one with the old firmware at this point.

I believe, and you can check this to be sure, but all 850 pros mfg after 3/21 have the upgraded pid controller. This should cover their on hand stock

I just chatted with pit boos and the newer stock of 850's have the new board.

Miranda R
Hi! Thank you for choosing Pit Boss Grills. My name is Miranda and I will be assisting you today.

Yes, the control board does have the same increments as the PB1150PS2 now.

Latest Discussions

Back