Does a longer smoke mean more smoky flavor?

Steve In Pa

Reaction score
We hosted a small family thing here yesterday and among the guests was my brother in law to does smoking professionally. I got a lot of good tips on preparation etc.
One thing he said was that in his opinion smoking with the intent to apply more smoke to the product will give marginal if any benefits beyond 6 hours.
So I researched that later and found different opinions.
In my case I’d say it’s a moot point since anything I cook longer than 6 hours is probably going to be wrapped in paper or foil anyway.
So let’s hear you thoughts on this.

We hosted a small family thing here yesterday and among the guests was my brother in law to does smoking professionally. I got a lot of good tips on preparation etc.
One thing he said was that in his opinion smoking with the intent to apply more smoke to the product will give marginal if any benefits beyond 6 hours.
In my case I’d say it’s a moot point since anything I cook longer than 6 hours is probably going to be wrapped in paper or foil anyway.
I read somewhere or saw on YouTube that meat doesn't take on any more smoke after it reaches an internal temp of 140. So I've never looked at as a specific time that it would stop taking on smoke. The lower the temp of the smoker the longer it would take to reach 140 when it stops adding additional flavor. I might be looking at it all wrong, im interested in what others have to say. Great topic. Thanks @Steve In Pa !

Good morning Steve,
I concur with the 6 hour benefit deal. The link below breaks down the smoke ring dynamics.
If you read up on corning beef you will get some good knowledge on pink salts, which get the pink color all the way through meat. (it seems the smoke penetration preserves the meat color.)

The Secret to Getting a Good Smoke Ring - Smoked BBQ Source

Last edited:
Back