Cleaning the Pit Boss

w0wos.webp
 
Hey everyone,
Just wondering how you go about cleaning the pellet grill?
At the moment, I take everything out and wash it in the sink, flame broiler as well.
I let it run at 350 degs for 15 mins to burn off the leftovers, let them cool and wash it with soapy water.
Last night it was late, so left it in and cleaned this morning. Fish was stuck everywhere and I had to soak the grates for 15 mins. No problem, brilliant grates and clean easily.
Now, I've heard about the BBQ Daddy brush for cleaning and watched the videos. But surely this pushes all the leftovers on the flame broiler and makes it even more work? Any advice appreciated what you do for cleaning!
Also, why the hell are my ribs so dry? Do you guys brine them beforehand and dry them and then the rub? And then in-between keep them moist by dipping them in the brine juices again? Or basting? I had them in for 3hrs, they were small! And would you recommend brining for all fish, poultry and pork? Do you even brine Beef? I've done the latter but would never consider doing beef unless that's also something that works!!
Sorry, long winded message with lots of questions🤣all advice appreciated👍
Pit boss recommends that you do not get the broiler wet.
 
I do a hi temp burn out after my cook, then scrape the broiler plate on my Lexington. After 3 or 4 cooks, I vacuum everything out.

I won't use foil paper to cover the broiler plate because the extreme heat around the fire pot can result in Al vapor, and I don't want that in my food.
I'm pretty sure, that the interior of the PB vertical grill I have is alumasteel. It's an aluminum/steel alloy or a steel that has been coated with aluminum oxide. that is pretty strong but not as heavy as stainless steel. Except for the glass portion of the door, the entire interior is covered with this product, including 4 walls, inside top and bottom.
 
After every cook, I run the brush over the grates to remove food residue. Between this and the pre-heat the next time, stuck on food is not a problem

For a thorough cleaning, I clean the grill cold. I take out the grates and heat deflector and vacuum out the barrel, specifically the fire pot. I clean the grates, heat deflector and any grease spots in the barrel with Pit Boss' foaming degreaser. Once the foam has cleared, I wipe the surface with a towel, and rinse it with the hose. When everything has been cleaned, I reassemble everything, turn the grill up to 400, and let it run for about an hour to burn off any chemicals.
 
I'm pretty sure, that the interior of the PB vertical grill I have is alumasteel. It's an aluminum/steel alloy or a steel that has been coated with aluminum oxide. that is pretty strong but not as heavy as stainless steel. Except for the glass portion of the door, the entire interior is covered with this product, including 4 walls, inside top and bottom.
The fear of aluminum foil vapor didn't sound right to me so I researched it. Aluminum foil doesn't give off vapors at any standard cooking temp. It melts at 660 degrees F. Otherwise you could not use the Texas crutch with any safety. What does happen is leaching, especially with acidic foods, but only when the foil is in direct contact with the food. Yes, cooking above 400 degrees with foil in direct contact with food is not recommended but covering the heat deflector should not be a problem. Using a Texas crutch at normal smoking temps should not be a problem either.
 
The fear of aluminum foil vapor didn't sound right to me so I researched it. Aluminum foil doesn't give off vapors at any standard cooking temp. It melts at 660 degrees F. Otherwise you could not use the Texas crutch with any safety. What does happen is leaching, especially with acidic foods, but only when the foil is in direct contact with the food. Yes, cooking above 400 degrees with foil in direct contact with food is not recommended but covering the heat deflector should not be a problem. Using a Texas crutch at normal smoking temps should not be a problem either.
Welcome from Texas to the group!!!
🇺🇸🇺🇸
 
Agreed, but temperatures nearer to the fire box get much hotter than the cooking grate. While the melting temperature of Al is 1221 °F, it will give off vapor at lower temperature, probably not enough to be of much concern if the broiler plate is wrapped. I'm not a fastidious cleaner, so I don't bother with it.
The fear of aluminum foil vapor didn't sound right to me so I researched it. Aluminum foil doesn't give off vapors at any standard cooking temp. It melts at 660 degrees F. Otherwise you could not use the Texas crutch with any safety. What does happen is leaching, especially with acidic foods, but only when the foil is in direct contact with the food. Yes, cooking above 400 degrees with foil in direct contact with food is not recommended but covering the heat deflector should not be a problem. Using a Texas crutch at normal smoking temps should not be a problem either.
 
Back
Top