Chicken thighs

panzon3

Reaction score
Cooking chicken thighs with skin on. Using Suckle buster Clucker dust. I am a big fan of KOSMOS but trying something different. Using Bear Mountain Oak pellets at 300 degrees for about an hour. Then wrapping tray with foil for about an hour or internal temp of 200. Then transferring the thighs to a rack and lightly glazing with KOSMOS original recipe bbq sauce. Taste test and report to follow

Attachments

• A8A4B8AC-8732-4F2C-A0EB-35E5FB3E23E6.jpeg
    A8A4B8AC-8732-4F2C-A0EB-35E5FB3E23E6.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 62
@panzon3 how did the chicken turn out?
They were OK. Nice and moist. I would have like a stronger taste. I still haven’t been able to get the bite through skin. It was still a little chewy. But I was satisfied over all. The taste was a bit sweet. Not to peppery. A slight smokiness from the pellets which I am surprised by. And a bit savory from the garlic in the rub. I would definitely try this again with a smoke tube to enhance the flavor

They were OK. Nice and moist. I would have like a stronger taste. I still haven’t been able to get the bite through skin. It was still a little chewy. But I was satisfied over all. The taste was a bit sweet. Not to peppery. A slight smokiness from the pellets which I am surprised by. And a bit savory from the garlic in the rub. I would definitely try this again with a smoke tube to enhance the flavor
Have you ever tried removing the skin and scraping off the fat on the other side then placing the skin back on? Pain in the ass, but it does give you bite through skin. I've done it a couple of times but said the hell with that. Now I just go skinless...

Have you ever tried removing the skin and scraping off the fat on the other side then placing the skin back on? Pain in the ass, but it does give you bite through skin. I've done it a couple of times but said the hell with that. Now I just go skinless...
Interesting way to do it. I still haven't had luck with chicken skin not being chewy. Tried oiling it, tried buttering it, tried basting it. It's too bad too, because that has a lot of the flavor (even though I go under the skin too).

If anyone has another good technique for crispy skin, I'd love to hear it! (Oven broil maybe...)

I’ve seen videos of scraping it, but not a big fan of it. I think I need to let it set more kind of like a bark on a brisket. Then wrap aluminum foil over it until the internal reaches 200.

Have you ever tried lumberjack pallets? If not definitely do... The best smoke flavor over all pallets i used more exspensive but waaaaay worth it

I’ve seen videos of scraping it, but not a big fan of it. I think I need to let it set more kind of like a bark on a brisket. Then wrap aluminum foil over it until the internal reaches 200.
I’ve had the same problem with the skin. It doesn’t bother me much, I just take it off, but my wife hates it. I was thinking about removing the chicken just before it reaches temp then throwing on the grill for a bit.

When I do chicken legs I sear it a bit when done smoking and if I have a lot of them I throw them on a hot gas grill to crisp them up.

The last time I did chicken wings I decided to put them in the air fryer to crisp them up. It worked too good and just about burned the wings. Since I had never done chicken wings in the air fryer I wasn't sure how to go about doing it to get crispy skin. I set it on 400 degrees for 9 minutes and then flipped them at 5 minutes. I believe I should have cut the time in half and maybe reduced the temp. I might try that again sometime but it's just an extra mess to clean up after having them on the smoker.

I have found the low and slow for better flavor is the way to go most of my cooking is happening at 225 might take longer but it has given me great result with all my meats start low then in the end bump it up have not had any troubles yet :)

Back