Auger not feeding enough pellets 1600ps1

Jratto

Reaction score
Hi,

For the first year it worked fine. Winter time it was useless and I now have a thermal blanket over it. But for some reason now, my auger will not turn on to feed enough pellets to get up to temp in the beginning and it will error out every time and shut down. When I first turn it on it adds a few pellets then if the grill decides to even turn the auger on again it’s just very brief auger spins at not enough intervals to gain temperature. I’ve tried looking for solutions but everything online just seems to point at it being jammed or not spinning. It’s not jammed and it does spin. The computer just won’t feed enough pellets to get to temp for some reason.

Hi,

For the first year it worked fine. Winter time it was useless and I now have a thermal blanket over it. But for some reason now, my auger will not turn on to feed enough pellets to get up to temp in the beginning and it will error out every time and shut down. When I first turn it on it adds a few pellets then if the grill decides to even turn the auger on again it’s just very brief auger spins at not enough intervals to gain temperature. I’ve tried looking for solutions but everything online just seems to point at it being jammed or not spinning. It’s not jammed and it does spin. The computer just won’t feed enough pellets to get to temp for some reason.
Did you set a specific temperature or using it in "S" mode? Can you confirm that your fan is coming on?

Hi,

If your ambient temperatures are very low and your smoker does not want to start (ERL/ERR) ... you can use a hair dryer, Heat gun, brûlée torch or any heat source on the RTD or digital thermometer probe on the inside of barrel on left side. Heat it up so the controller shows temperatures above freezing; that will allow the grill to start and go through normal start up. Once it is going and it heats up it will run normally.

Have you checked your new smoker for the PitBoss air gap issue and done the air gap mod to fix it yet?

Air Gap Modification - Models Affected: Austin XL 1000 and Rancher XL 1000, 1000SC, 1000t2, 1000t3, 1000t4, ProSeries 1100, KC Combo, Charleston, PB 500, 1230 and 550 Sportsman, ProSeries 600, ProSeries 2 1150, 1600 Pro and Elite, and Navigator 550 & 1150 and Laredo 1000.

Unfortunately there is a well known, but easily corrected, design flaw in your unit ... a gap between the bottom of the drip tray and the top of the left side grease tray lip that allows firepot heat to blow directly on the digital temperature probe... it’s causes slower startups, flameouts and other temperature related issues.

Since the firepot heat is blowing directly on the digital temperature probe, It’ll cause the smoker to flameout for no apparent reason. It’ll cause a flameout because the digital temperature probes temperature readings are falsely reading too high; it causes the digital temperature probe to register higher than your set temperatures. And that’ll cause a flameout every time … shutting down the auger and starving your fire of pellets

The air gap mod is a big deal on the Austin XL , the pro series 1100, PS2 1150, 1600, Laredo and basically ANY 1000 inch barrels AND the KC Combo. It takes them forever to settle down especially in the Smoke setting, and that's why, when people have them set to Smoke they're wondering why it's up around 250 or 300 degrees ... and it's all because the firepot heat is all blowing on that digital probe. Do the mod and it registers the temperatures correctly and it settles them right down.

Additionally, a QUICK and simple foil fix will work ... Fold sufficient aluminum foil to cover the gap from side to side and put in place. Done right, the foil will fold over and sit on top of the drip tray and this quick fix blocks the firepot heat from blowing directly on the temperature probe.

A detailed Instructional Video is below ... AND the Video is also in Announcements section of this page ... and if you’re interested, the prefabricated mod plate available at https://smokeslikeaboss.com/

This video explains better ..

Now that I live in Michigan I found found mine does the same thing and it's related to the outdoor temperature(Copperhead Series 3). When it's 10 degrees outside and I want to use mine I hold the Prime button down with the heat shield removed. Once I see enough pellets drop and the ignitor turn red I put the heat shield back on and haven't had any problems.

Once it gets warmed up it performs like a champ.

Hi,

I am going tobtry a 2 rpm auger motor ($25), the oem is 1.5 rpm for cold weather, but that will be next year!

I am going tobtry a 2 rpm auger motor ($25), the oem is 1.5 rpm for cold weather, but that will be next year!
I have reservations that the extra half rpm will overfeed pellets causing overheating. Controller is in synch with the augur feed and the temperature probe.

Last edited:
I have reservations that the extra half rpm will overfeed pellets causing overheating. Controller is in synch with the augur feed and the temperature probe.
I think the control pushes pellets until a set temp is reached. All or some these cold weather problems sound like a lean fire situation to this ole boy.

The best time of the year for me to be putting up meat and smoking meat is all the cooler months. Some summer days the shade around here is even so hot the smoke is 150F without the fire.

I'm suggesting that if I couldn't get my rig to operate in the cold I would try a $25.00 ‐ 2 rpm motor/ transmission change. I agree the issue may be solved by what Cowboy suggests.
I have a lot of fun smoking meat, heck sometimes I go find something on sale just to get a party started (brats, fast n good) and part of my enjoyment is tinkering with my rigs!

This isba water pan system I picked up for my stick burner. I have to shorten it 2 inches and then cut a rectangular hole in the backside. A 5 gallon water jug sits on it upside down keeping the water pan properly filled without cooling the smoker down to fill the pan.

Attachments

• 20230226_080150.jpg
    20230226_080150.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230226_080144.jpg
    20230226_080144.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest Discussions

Back