Auger Issues?

Brad J

Reaction score
The last time I used the Pit Boss I noticed smoke coming from the bin. Today when I attempted to smoke some pork loin, the grill never heated past 105 degrees and then started blinking--never moving up from 105. I attempted to clean inside and the auger but nothing happen. I wonder if the auger is clogged and the best way to get the grill (and auger) working again.

Remove the heat shield and take everything out. Turn it on and watch and see what it does. If the auger does not turn it is one of two problems: an auger jam or the sheer pin from the motor to the auger has fallen off or broken. I had one fell off and then another one broke (luckily I had some spares).

This is mine when I thought I had a jam:

The last time I used the Pit Boss I noticed smoke coming from the bin. Today when I attempted to smoke some pork loin, the grill never heated past 105 degrees and then started blinking--never moving up from 105. I attempted to clean inside and the auger but nothing happen. I wonder if the auger is clogged and the best way to get the grill (and auger) working again.

Hi Brad welcome to the forum and please provide feedback on the outcome. We love to hear if you were able to correct the issue or we can provide additional troubleshooting for you.

-Dave

After some extremely tedious work (had to use right angle wrench to remove the nut holding the screw to the motor component), finally got the auger taken apart and cleaned/sanded. It definitely was jammed with wood pellets to a point the auger would not even turn. Even though it always is covered when not in use, believe the humidity helped jam it up. We have had an inordinate amount of rain this spring and summer.
Now I have another issue...since reassembling the heat remains on, even it is only around 140 degrees. Did I do something wrong reassembling it? Is there a sensor that is creating the problem? I finally just pulled the plug today when I realized heat was still present. If that is what I have to do each time, then that is what I will do.

Latest Discussions

Back