2nd Igniter Issue, told there is a new "rapid" igniter

hankhill11

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Messages
213
Media
84
Reaction score
737
Location
wisconsin
I had an igniter issue start up this past April, just before my 5 year warranty expired. Pitboss sent me a new igniter without question, as they know its a fragile part. It worked great right up until last weekend. Igniter error started up again. I called their customer service and pretty quickly got to a person, which is great. She advised there isn't any additional warranty on replacement parts, despite this part lasting nearly 5 years originally, but only 6 months for the 2nd one. Fine.. they're pretty inexpensive.

During our conversation the rep mentioned there is a new 'rapid igniter' that is a little bit more durable https://www.pitboss-grills.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/rapid-igniter-kit . Its currently on backorder, but has anyone used this one yet? twice the price of the original part, but we're talking 10 vs 20 bucks. not like a 50$ item, and certainly if it works better and for longer, its a better deal than replacing the whole smoker.

I am frustrated that they know the igniter is lousy to begin with but this is the world we live in.
 
I had an igniter issue start up this past April, just before my 5 year warranty expired. Pitboss sent me a new igniter without question, as they know its a fragile part. It worked great right up until last weekend. Igniter error started up again. I called their customer service and pretty quickly got to a person, which is great. She advised there isn't any additional warranty on replacement parts, despite this part lasting nearly 5 years originally, but only 6 months for the 2nd one. Fine.. they're pretty inexpensive.

During our conversation the rep mentioned there is a new 'rapid igniter' that is a little bit more durable https://www.pitboss-grills.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/rapid-igniter-kit . Its currently on backorder, but has anyone used this one yet? twice the price of the original part, but we're talking 10 vs 20 bucks. not like a 50$ item, and certainly if it works better and for longer, its a better deal than replacing the whole smoker.

I am frustrated that they know the igniter is lousy to begin with but this is the world we live in.
The old igniter works fine and will continue to do so for many years… I’ve not changed mine in 9+ years.
So they’re trying to get you to upgrade, new toys and all that, but you certainly don’t have to. And they’re on Amazon. As it says it fires off rapidly and save a lot of time.
 
@Freedbyjc has a good point there.

We’ve got the 850DX which came with a Heatfounder 250w quick igniter and it lasted us about 18 months. I ended up upgrading and installing a stainless fire pot I found on amazon and it came with a 200w. Basically I downgraded the igniter but it works fine for us.
 
Back
Top