2 new temp. gauges and bottle opener for the PB850PS2

So here is my Adjustable Heat Shield (patent pending) for the PB850PS2
I know it has been a while but I have been testing and I forget to take pics when my grill is open for cleaning, just like I forget to take pics of my finished cooks.
You slide it to the right to block heat from going to the left, slide it to the left to allow heat to go to the left.
I take advantage of the shape and slant of the broiler plate to control the heat.
The more you move it to the left, the more the 'gap' opens between the broiler plate and shield allowing more heat to the left.

View attachment 1075View attachment 1076View attachment 1077
View attachment 1074
Well I'll be damned! Brilliant idea. The angle of the drip shield actually works in your favor. Smartest solution to this problem I've seen yet. I have the 456D3 model and the burn area is on the left already, which exacerbates this problem. I suppose I would have to angle the deflector a bit to direct the heat toward the center more. Any ideas Einstein? I'm thinking kind of an angled cup of sorts that could slide from the far left and move a few inches toward the burner.

I made one that is not as fancy, doesn't slide back and forth, and placed it so the heat shield basically makes a tight fit with the deflector. I now have about a 5 degree temp difference between left side and right side. At lower temps the right side tends to be the hotter side.

So at 350* the lid gauges were showing 352* but same left and right which is a good thing. The wife didn't care but Toby was extremely happy.
Tools used for this prototype,
I’ve found that a glass of wine is a very worthwhile “tool” lol! I have a Pb Pro series 820 from lowes. Not sure how even the temps are from right to left - does the heat deflector/shield attach by the burn pot or to the plate under the grates? How much of a difference does it make? I’m usually cooking things in the middle of the smoker. Thanks!

It makes a big difference, ever since I made it I have no issues with right and left temperatures.
It slides on top of the air flow chamber.

I know it has been a while but I have been testing and I forget to take pics when my grill is open for cleaning, just like I forget to take pics of my finished cooks.
You slide it to the right to block heat from going to the left, slide it to the left to allow heat to go to the left.
I take advantage of the shape and slant of the broiler plate to control the heat.
The more you move it to the left, the more the 'gap' opens between the broiler plate and shield allowing more heat to the left.

View attachment 1074
Are you making these heat shields?

oh, the same as mine
Yep.

I have a Smoke Daddy heat diffuser and the temperature differences are still pretty higher than the display temp. I don't remember what they are.

I'd have to run a temperature test again and find out

View attachment 1074
I'm going to try recreating this as i have ~50 degree difference between left and right sides of my 850. What kind of sheet metal did you use for this?

I would like to recreate/buy this as well. I still have a 50 deg difference even after installing the 3 window heat deflector from smokes like a boss.

Just testing it out today actually, cut 14ga steel sheet metal with my jigsaw. Its making a difference even when the smoker is warming up. Typically the right side would lag behind the left by at least 30 degrees when warming up. Its now within about 15 degrees when warming up

I didn't opt to have it be an adjustable solution because once i have it in place to even out temps, it will live there

Attachments

• PXL_20230802_183247391.jpg
    PXL_20230802_183247391.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20230802_183509672.jpg
    PXL_20230802_183509672.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 29
sometimes I like to allow one side to get hotter, depends on what I am cooking, thicker cuts etc.

Latest Discussions

Back