Wood chips in a pellet tube?

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
This guy doesn't seem to be a fan of pellet smokers so he put wood chips in the tube. I'll try this out sometime. Smoking a pork shoulder right now and using my smoke tube with pellets so maybe I'll try it on my next smoke .

Tried it out today. Worked ok but it was a short cook, just 90 minutes with some hickory chips. It's getting to where I have to really watch my pellet grill using extra smoke. If I am not careful it will flame out so I had to baby sit it the whole time. But the grill is 2 years old and used all the time.

Will be curious to try the wood chips on my vertical smoker on the next long cook. The wood chips don't last as long as pellets in the tube but they lasted the whole 90 minutes and we're still smoking 45 min after I took the chops off the grill.

Will experiment with it some more.

why would it flame out?
are you feeding it more pellets?
or is it just a symptom of old age?

Could be old age or just too much smoke snuffing out the flame when I use a smoking tube.

This guy doesn't seem to be a fan of pellet smokers so he put wood chips in the tube. I'll try this out sometime. Smoking a pork shoulder right now and using my smoke tube with pellets so maybe I'll try it on my next smoke .

Thanks for sharing. My chip smoker is down and waiting for a controller. I've grumbled that my 850, although good, doesn't produce the same smokey flavor. This sounds worth a try. Did you mix pellets and chips or just straight chips?

Thank you. Another issue I've had using the smoke tube is a build up of tar like creosote on the rear wall and lid of the smoker. This hasn't affected the taste of the food but wondering if it is normal? Cleaned using a propane torch and paint scraper.

I tried chips in the tube a few weeks ago in my series 4 vertical. Better smoke than just the pellets. I was impatient and torched the chips before adding the tube to the smoker. Ended up getting the best continuous smoke when placed by one of the side vents.

I tried chips in the tube a few weeks ago in my series 4 vertical. Better smoke than just the pellets. I was impatient and torched the chips before adding the tube to the smoker. Ended up getting the best continuous smoke when placed by one of the side vents.
Sounds like a winner. Definitely intend to try it.

Tried it out today. Worked ok but it was a short cook, just 90 minutes with some hickory chips. It's getting to where I have to really watch my pellet grill using extra smoke. If I am not careful it will flame out so I had to baby sit it the whole time. But the grill is 2 years old and used all the time.

Will be curious to try the wood chips on my vertical smoker on the next long cook. The wood chips don't last as long as pellets in the tube but they lasted the whole 90 minutes and we're still smoking 45 min after I took the chops off the grill.

Will experiment with it some more.
I’ve used wood chips in the smoke Tube for too long smokes and tube lasted approximately 90 minutes which was enough smoke to give it a better smoky taste

Latest Discussions

Back