What is this

Kp33

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this is and is it necessary? Will removing help or hurt anything.

Attachments

• 9C0E8B98-1E73-420B-A146-0841D428E807.jpeg
    9C0E8B98-1E73-420B-A146-0841D428E807.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 200
That's the Diffuser Plate. I have read on another thread where someone said removing it helped with keeping more consistent temps.

However I left mine in and so far I haven't noticed any issues with Temperature inconsistencies.

That's the Diffuser Plate. I have read on another thread where someone said removing it helped with keeping more consistent temps.

However I left mine in and so far I haven't noticed any issues with Temperature inconsistencies.
So your left and right side temps are the same? What model do you have,

I have an 1150 Pro. Took it out. Works great without it.
So when you say it works great do you mean the temperatures on the left and right even out or was yours not having that problem regardless

My temps are pretty much even. Don't expect exactly even because the fire box, exhaust, etc. are going to make that almost impossible. But within a few degrees on low and slow is where I'm at. I do use a foil dam at my temp probe (haven't got the Smoke Daddy thing yet) and a hunk of foil below the probe that a) holds the grates in place and b) keeps direct heat from hitting the probe. I also keep an aluminum pan in the chamber. Crazy how much difference that makes. I use an external remote thermometer to monitor temp and it stays within 3 degrees of my Pit Boss read out.

My temps are pretty much even. Don't expect exactly even because the fire box, exhaust, etc. are going to make that almost impossible. But within a few degrees on low and slow is where I'm at. I do use a foil dam at my temp probe (haven't got the Smoke Daddy thing yet) and a hunk of foil below the probe that a) holds the grates in place and b) keeps direct heat from hitting the probe. I also keep an aluminum pan in the chamber. Crazy how much difference that makes. I use an external remote thermometer to monitor temp and it stays within 3 degrees of my Pit Boss read out.
Were they eneven before removing the heat shield or did you never really have that issue.

Any chance you can add a pic of your setup with all the above that you did.

I'll try but I've got 2 butts on right now. Hard to see but maybe you can. The foil over the end of the heat displacer keeps the heat from pounding the probe. The other hunk of foil fills the gap and holds the grates together. Helps block direct heat from the probe as well. The idea is to get something between the firebox and the probe.

Attachments

• Smoke Tube 1.jpg
    Smoke Tube 1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 1150foil.jpg
    1150foil.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 147
I'll try but I've got 2 butts on right now. Hard to see but maybe you can. The foil over the end of the heat displacer keeps the heat from pounding the probe. The other hunk of foil fills the gap and holds the grates together. Helps block direct heat from the probe as well. The idea is to get something between the firebox and the probe.
Interesting, and yeah if when your all done could get a better pic of the foil under the grates that would be great, do you have water in the pan under the meat or just an empty pan? Thanks again. I got ribs on mine right now.

Empty pan. I'll mix the drippings with some sauce and boil it for a bit. Makes a mean sauce. And it helps with temp and clean up.

Latest Discussions

Back