Using 240V power?

Frits Metz

Reaction score
Has anybody used their Pitboss on a 240V 50Hz power supply?

I know in AUS and NZ they sell Pitboss, and I am wondering how the power supply has been adapted for their power.

Is there anybody here that has made such modifications or has used and inverter for this?

I assume that if you buy it from a local shop (I mean a shop which is located in your country), it will just work fine.
Sure, I bought mine in USA, where I work on a temporary basis. Some time in the future I go back to South Africa, and want to take it back there with me. That is why I am asking about the conversion options.

Then I would contact customer service and explain my situation, you may have to replace a converter that they will probably be able to provide.

by the way, do not connect an electrical device designed for 110V / 60 hz (like your smoker) on a 230V / 50hz outlet, unless you like plastic smokes....

I agree that you should contact customer service. they may have 240v parts. You may also be able to identify "compatible" parts on Ebay (they are all made in China).
If those idea don't work, keep in mind that there are two electrical "functions" going on in the unit.

- One is the igniter. I suspect you could get an igniter on ebay that is 240. In a couple of Louisiana smoker grills we used to take to events where there was no power, we wouldn't even use the igniter and would just light the unit with a propane torch. That is pretty easy on the Louisiana grills because their burn pot is on the side and easily accessible. (Note that I did the same thing when I took a US grill to Hong Kong for a short assignment).

-The second function is the controller and fan. Most units don't actually run internally on 120 or 240v internally. They run on low voltage DC and have an internal power supply to step down the power. To run our units in areas without power (and for my unit in Hong Kong), we just hooked the electronics up to a car battery and they worked fine. If you look at the wiring diagram for most units, it is pretty simple. That said, you probably void your warranty - but that may not be too much of an issue in SA.

-The second function is the controller and fan. Most units don't actually run internally on 120 or 240v internally. They run on low voltage DC and have an internal power supply to step down the power. To run our units in areas without power (and for my unit in Hong Kong), we just hooked the electronics up to a car battery and they worked fine. If you look at the wiring diagram for most units, it is pretty simple.

The wiring diagram clearly shows that the auger, the fan and the igniter run off 110VAC. Looking at the control panel it seems as though the 110VAC is not stepped down or rectified to these three components, only for the controller itself.

My original question is really directed to people who have these in 220-240VAC areas (not concerned about the frequency), and if there is an engineered solution (transformer and/or limiter) readily available from their local suppliers (that would not forfeit the warrantee - just because).

There is a supplier that markets them in SA, but it is still the 100VAC unit, and they advise to use a step down transformer for it - no recommendation with regards Amperage or Wattage. I guess it should be quite easy to just get a small 400-500W transformer from Radio Shack or something and be done with it.

The wiring diagram clearly shows that the auger, the fan and the igniter run off 110VAC. Looking at the control panel it seems as though the 110VAC is not stepped down or rectified to these three components, only for the controller itself.

My original question is really directed to people who have these in 220-240VAC areas (not concerned about the frequency), and if there is an engineered solution (transformer and/or limiter) readily available from their local suppliers (that would not forfeit the warrantee - just because).

There is a supplier that markets them in SA, but it is still the 100VAC unit, and they advise to use a step down transformer for it - no recommendation with regards Amperage or Wattage. I guess it should be quite easy to just get a small 400-500W transformer from Radio Shack or something and be done with it.
Interesting.
My apologies for providing obsolete information.

Obviously yours is quite different from our old ones. I just looked at some old emails, and we were doing ours about 12 years ago.

The fan and auger run on 110, the board rectifies it and steps it down to the required voltage, that being sad Pitt Boss may be able to set you up with all three of these components for 220 but it probably be much more cost effective to by a step down transformer.

Back