Temp on PB and temp from external probe huge difference

keg312

Reaction score
I'd expect to see a bit of a difference between an external probe set on the grill and the temp from the unit itself, but not this much. I'll set the temp to 200 and can see as high as 250-260 on my external probe. I'm not sure which one to believe - anyone have any similar experiences? First smoker I've owned.

Thanks!
~j~

And to be clear, I’m talking about the temp on the dash that says actual. That’s the one that’s usually significantly lower

I have seen this. Make sure probe, inside, is clean. I find once it takes a little while for the temp to normalize. I've place a couple of probes in different areas to measure temp. After it's closed for a while, the temps seem to much closer.

I'd expect to see a bit of a difference between an external probe set on the grill and the temp from the unit itself, but not this much. I'll set the temp to 200 and can see as high as 250-260 on my external probe. I'm not sure which one to believe - anyone have any similar experiences? First smoker I've owned.

Thanks!
~j~
Where do you have the external probe located in the pit? There will be a difference in temps anywhere you probe inside. Get your external as close as possible to the internal probe and see what you get. Did you do or know about the air gap mod? Watch this and it explains it, I have an 1100 and just fill the gap with tin foil for now, big difference!

Back