Small flat on Pit Boss

Hey folks, I’ve already done some research on doing a small flat brisket on a pellet smoker but I’m looking for additional suggest from Pit Boss owners to do a 3 pound flat. Estimated time, etc.
I have a vertical model smoker.
View attachment 2794
I have a vertical Brunswick. I put 2 oven thermometers inside facing the window. The temp seems to vary. That way you can be sure your at 225. Mine is 100 deg off sometimes. Make sure you get to 205 before pulling. Wrap at 170 with foil bottom and paper top. Put 2 cups beef broth and whatever….. that way you can save some juice to mop after cutting.

Hey folks, I’ve already done some research on doing a small flat brisket on a pellet smoker but I’m looking for additional suggest from Pit Boss owners to do a 3 pound flat. Estimated time, etc.
I have a vertical model smoker.
View attachment 2794
Ive done a few 3&4lb ones for my wife and I I smoke for3 to 4 hrs with a smoke tube at 225
Your close on the hours but what I do is wrap it in butcher paper after the smoke and insert a temp probe through the butcher paper and get internal temp to 200 then take it off anklet it rest for an hour so you have to add that in and I've never cooked one that you didn't have a temperature stall but for me I figure 6 or so hours
Outside temperature willake a difference
But good luck on your cook

I cooked one Sunday, 2.97 pounds at 220 degrees took 7.5 hours to get to 205 degrees. It was very good and tender although the next one I will take off at 195-200. I wrapped at 170 which is where it stalled out. That was at 3.5 hours into the cook.
Ok great. That gives me something to work with

If you go to the Pitt Boss official website and go to the recipes section and will be a drop down , go to Style - then select Smoke - there will be the exact recipe you are looking for !!! "The Georgia BBQ Brisket Sandwich" it calls for a 1-3 lb. Brisket Flat like yours and only takes about 3 hours - 190 internal to 205 degrees !!!

Go to the Pitt Boss official web site and go to recipes section - there will be a drop down and select Smoke and look for the Georgia Brisket Sandwich recipe !!! It calls for the Brisket Flat 1-3 Lbs. 190-205 internal temp. about 3 hours cooking time !!! You can also use some white grape juice in your drip pan , or apple juice .
Thanks
Good info

Trimming:
Make sure you get the fat portion on the back to a consistent depth 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch or so. Trim off the hard fat, you'll notice how it feels. The hard fat won't render as easily . If the meat is less then an inch trim it off. I cook that separately, thats your "burnt ends, they get pulled off early and can be added to beans or mac and cheese. But that will help you avoid an over cooked portion.

Temp/Time:
Cooking time depends on temp. So look for internal around 165 before wrapping, but make sure the fat on the back feels fully rendered. It will be even softer, and have the same texture all the way to the meat. You can get it up to 200 to call it done, but make sure you let it rest enough... several hours to over night.

Pellets:
Most of the hard wood and blends have a very mild smokiness. Not really like the offsets. But I've been seeing some reviews for Almond wood pellets, that I really want to try. They are available at H0me Dept.
Thank you. Lots to work with there

Ive done a few 3&4lb ones for my wife and I I smoke for3 to 4 hrs with a smoke tube at 225
Your close on the hours but what I do is wrap it in butcher paper after the smoke and insert a temp probe through the butcher paper and get internal temp to 200 then take it off anklet it rest for an hour so you have to add that in and I've never cooked one that you didn't have a temperature stall but for me I figure 6 or so hours
Outside temperature willake a difference
But good luck on your cook
Thank you. I may do that this weekend as a side bonus to go along with the burbon burgers recipe my wife found

I go by internal temperature on everything, wrap at 165 deg. 190deg if I'm smoking over night.
What times and temperatures do you use when smoking overnight? I want to give it a try but leaving the smoker makes me nervous. I just got my pit boss a few weeks ago and the automation is still new to me.

What times and temperatures do you use when smoking overnight? I want to give it a try but leaving the smoker makes me nervous. I just got my pit boss a few weeks ago and the automation is still new to me.
I threw the clock away a long time ago. I set it at 190 deg and the inside temp was 180-190 deg and made sure I had plenty of water in my water pan and the pan I had under the brisket. I go by internal temperature.... low and slow.

I threw the clock away a long time ago. I set it at 190 deg and the inside temp was 180-190 deg and made sure I had plenty of water in my water pan and the pan I had under the brisket. I go by internal temperature.... low and slow.
So you put it in somewhere around 10pm? No wrapping and just let it go until it hits 190? Does that hit somewhere near dinner the next day? I totally understand going by internal temperature, I was just looking for benchmarks.

So you put it in somewhere around 10pm? No wrapping and just let it go until it hits 190? Does that hit somewhere near dinner the next day? I totally understand going by internal temperature, I was just looking for benchmarks.
8pm, I put it in, and I wrap at 165 deg and add some beef broth.

Hey gang thanks to all for their input on the small brisket cook. Did that today. Drove our paver contractor nuts he kept saying man that smells good. Best of all was the great grandkids saying it was the bestest on the plate.
Somewhat spicy rub prep by my wife
225 degrees
About four hours to hit 165
Then Foil wrapped with a bit of chicken broth
Another 3 hours to hit 205ish
Towel wrapped and 2 hours rest.
Slice and serve
👍
1DFDB965-EBFC-48A8-AF9B-6951F210BE30.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey gang thanks to all for their input on the small brisket cook. Did that today. Drove our paver contractor nuts he kept saying man that smells good. Best of all was the great grandkids saying it was the bestest on the plate.
Somewhat spicy rub prep by my wife
225 degrees
About four hours to hit 165
Then Foil wrapped with a bit of chicken broth
Another 3 hours to hit 205ish
Towel wrapped and 2 hours rest.
Slice and serve
👍
View attachment 2882
I could be there in 6-7 hours!

Latest Discussions

Back