Pit Boss PBV4PS2 Not Smoking Much

Big Kern

Reaction score
I have a propane smoker that produces tons of smoke and when I bought my vertical smoker noticed the amount of smoke produced is significantly less than what I'm used to. Is it normal for these smokers to not produce much smoke? I can clearly see the food I am cooking through the glass door. Food does has smoke taste and I can smell the pellets but the level of smoke is a lot less.

I have a propane smoker that produces tons of smoke and when I bought my vertical smoker noticed the amount of smoke produced is significantly less than what I'm used to. Is it normal for these smokers to not produce much smoke? I can clearly see the food I am cooking through the glass door. Food does has smoke taste and I can smell the pellets but the level of smoke is a lot less.
I’m having the same issue. I had a propane smoker that smoked like a freight train. I’ve been looking all over the internet to try and find something that may help with the issue, but so far, I found nothing. It’s about ready to go back to pit boss for a refund.

Pellets are different than wood chips or chunks. They burn much cleaner and produce less smoke. It's there and it's a bit different but much easier to maintain and manage. I also use the AmazN pellet smoke tube as well. You can usually find those at any store or on Amazon.

Last edited:
Pellets are different than wood chips or chunks. They burn much cleaner and produce less smoke. It's there and it's a bit different but much easier to maintain and manage. I also use the AmazN pellet smoke tube as well. You can usually find those at any store or on Amazon.
I'm coming from a traeger pellet, and it smoked way more. Using the same pellets too.

It sounds like they have the temperature set too high.

Back