PB1600PS1 Slow To Heat and Drops Temp

SmokeBoss

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I’m new here, however, I wanted to ask if anyone else has had an issue with their PB1600PS1 not heating? I’ve spent 45 minutes just trying to get this thing to heat to 225 and 250. It seems like all I’m doing is burning through pellets.
I can get the temp up to about 220’s and then it starts to drop.
I have cleaned the internal temp probe, smoke stack is opened, initially set to S setting for 3 minutes. It still had issues getting to 180. Currently it is at 215 and it’s been 25 minutes. I really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys and gals,

I’m new here, however, I wanted to ask if anyone else has had an issue with their PB1600PS1 not heating? I’ve spent 45 minutes just trying to get this thing to heat to 225 and 250. It seems like all I’m doing is burning through pellets.
I have cleaned the internal temp probe, smoke stack is opened, initially set to S setting for 3 minutes. It still had issues getting to 180. Currently it is at 215 and it’s been 25 minutes. I really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome from Texas to the group!!
I don’t have that one but there’s some on here that do.
Have you tried shutting it down and starting over?🇺🇸🇺🇸

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks in advance.
I have that same model. I never start it on S. I always start at a higher temp than I will be cooking at and then back down to it. Also you can use the prime button to get some more pellets in the burn pot and increase your temp. Lastly I never trust the temp that is displayed on the controller. I use an external ambient probe to know what the actual temp is. Welcome from NH 🍺 🍻

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks in advance.
Have you checked your new PITBOSS smoker for the PitBoss air gap issue and done the air gap mod to fix it yet?

Air Gap Modification - Models Affected: Austin XL 1000 (except ONYX) and Rancher XL 1000, 1000SC, 1000t2, 1000t3, 1000t4, 1000d3, ProSeries 1100, KC Combo, Charleston, PB 500, 1250 and 550 Sportsman, ProSeries 600, ProSeries 1150, 1600 Pro and Elite, and Navigator 550 & 1150 and Laredo 1000. Also the newer 850 in the Competition series.

Unfortunately there is a well known, but easily corrected, design anomaly in some units ... a gap between the bottom of the drip tray and the top of the left side grease tray lip that allows firepot heat to blow directly on the digital temperature probe... see the photo below… it’s causes slower startups, flameouts and other low temperature related issues.

Since, due to the air gap, the firepot heat is blowing directly on the digital temperature probe, (see the other photo below)this will cause the smoker to flameout for no apparent reason. It’ll cause that flameout because the digital temperature probes temperature readings are falsely reading too high and it causes the digital temperature probe to register higher than your set temperatures and suppresses the auger runs. And that’ll cause a flameout every time by shutting down the auger runs and starving your fire of pellets

The air gap mod is a big deal on the Austin XL , the pro series 1100, PS2 1150, 1600, Laredo and basically ANY 1000 inch barrels AND the KC Combo. It takes them forever to settle down especially in the Smoke setting, and that's why, when people have them set to Smoke they're wondering why it's up around 250 or 300 degrees ... and it's all because the firepot heat is all blowing directly on that digital probe. Do the air gap mod and it will then register the temperatures correctly and it settles them right down.

Additionally, a QUICK and simple foil fix will work ...(see the photo below) Fold sufficient aluminum foil to cover the air gap from side to side and put in place on the left side of the drip tray. Try a minimum of 4-5 layers … Done right, the foil will fold over and sit on top of the drip tray and as it hangs in the gap, this quick fix blocks the firepot heat from blowing directly on the temperature probe.

A detailed Instructional Video is below ... AND the Video is also in Announcements section of this page ... and if you’re interested, the prefabricated mod plate available at https://smokeslikeaboss.com/

This video explains better ..

Attachments

• IMG_9177.jpeg
    IMG_9177.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9175.jpeg
    IMG_9175.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9697.jpeg
    IMG_9697.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 5
Back