Overcook question

Kp33

Reaction score
how do you stop briskets and boston butt from getting the side on grate from getting overdone. I have done 2 briskets and 1 boston butt amd every time so far the side that is on the grate gates overdone, I put the meat in the middle so its over the fire pot so I assuming this is why....any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kp33

Reaction score
I do that already but because its right over fire pot it burns up.

nvhunter

Reaction score
Can you move it away from the firebox?

The other thing to try is leave more fat cap on it and cook fat side down

Kp33

Reaction score
I cook fat cap down and I can put it on the left side to get it from directly over the fire pot.

nvhunter

Reaction score
The way most pellet smokers are built the fat cap protects it from the heat being so close to the meat, when cooking fat side down. In a vertical smoker you can cook fat cap up just move it higher from the heat source.

Johnney1971

Reaction score
I do fat cap up for 3 hours, then down for 3 hours. Wrap it in foil or use foil pan covered. Cook in its own juices and is super tender.

nvhunter

Reaction score
I have the pitt boss copperhead 7 vertical and have to run a water pan I moved it up from the fire box and use a temp gauge on my cooking racks to see what my temps are. I end up running the dial at 250 or 275 to hold my 220-230 preferred temp

DaveXDm9

Staff member
Reaction score
I place my Butt on the left side of my Pro Series 1100 and water pan on the right side.

quadzilla

Reaction score
I cook my briskets and butts offset from the firebox, also cook at 225 for brisket, and 250 for butts, wrapping the brisket after 4 hrs. and the butt after 3, spritzing both cuts of meat every 30 min. with apple juice. I wrap both with heavy foil, and i always cook both fat cap up. Hope this and all other tips from forum helps.

spudthegreater

Reaction score
Make SURE your grill sear is CLOSED...I burned a pizza leaving it open. I haven’t had any problems with anything else after figuring that out. Also use a water Pan on the side full of water.
20200905_115335.jpg

Kp33

Reaction score
Make SURE your grill sear is CLOSED...I burned a pizza leaving it open. I haven’t had any problems with anything else after figuring that out. Also use a water Pan on the side full of water. View attachment 340
Yeah its closed...and I do fat cap down...what do you cook at.. my last cook was at 225 with normal swings in temp...and the fat cap got really overcooked.

Latest Discussions