Newbie help

Rgreene12

Reaction score
FD7040A7-0794-424B-AFCF-062276A05A80.jpeg
I’m a new PB Lexington owner, but have done some smoking in the past. One thing I’ve noticed is that my barrel temp is off by at least 50 degrees from what the electrical probe says, as you can see in the pictures (bottom temp on my thermo is the ambient)

I have it set at 300 to make up for the difference, but I would rather not have to do that. I see there’s a heat deflector mod but the part where the broiler sits is already round, so does anyone know any other fixes? All pit boss said when I called was the pid needs to learn, but it’s maintaining temp fine, it’s just still getting hot air. I’m thinking of drilling holes in the middle of the broiler plate to even it out.
Any help would be awesome thanks!

Attachments

• 48B1F7CE-B704-477F-BE96-9940463C968B.jpeg
    48B1F7CE-B704-477F-BE96-9940463C968B.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 20
  • 8D432EDA-DE7A-46F5-8AB1-FBCB48170C9D.jpeg
    8D432EDA-DE7A-46F5-8AB1-FBCB48170C9D.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2A839759-38A1-42D7-9BE2-A0E201319E9D.jpeg
    2A839759-38A1-42D7-9BE2-A0E201319E9D.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 21
View attachment 1927I’m a new PB Lexington owner, but have done some smoking in the past. One thing I’ve noticed is that my barrel temp is off by at least 50 degrees from what the electrical probe says, as you can see in the pictures (bottom temp on my thermo is the ambient)

I have it set at 300 to make up for the difference, but I would rather not have to do that. I see there’s a heat deflector mod but the part where the broiler sits is already round, so does anyone know any other fixes? All pit boss said when I called was the pid needs to learn, but it’s maintaining temp fine, it’s just still getting hot air. I’m thinking of drilling holes in the middle of the broiler plate to even it out.
Any help would be awesome thanks!
I just checked the temp again and it’s up to 260 degrees internal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 10
Pit Boss probes are notorious for being inaccurate, I used a separate WIFI thermometer, which is accurate. I adjust the heat up some to compensate for what I want or if the outdoor air is colder.

Pit Boss probes are notorious for being inaccurate, I used a separate WIFI thermometer, which is accurate. I adjust the heat up some to compensate for what I want or if the outdoor air is colder.
Yeah I get that, and that’s what I’ll be doing, I was just seeing if there’s a fix for The hot air blowing on the probe causing it to read hot. It’s more of a build issue it seems that’s why I was gonna try drilling 1 or 2 holes in the middle to get some of that heat away from that side and to the middle.

Doing a 6 hour smoke and after it being on 300 for an hour and a half I turned it down to 250 and it’s holding in the 225-235 range which I can deal with. Guess I’ll be letting it warm up on a higher temp for an hour on longer smokes from now on

I use a thermoworks SMOKE probe on the right side through a silicone grommet to get internal temp of meat and a probe for temp of chamber. What surprises me is There is a dial thermo on the lid that almost always matches the Thermworks probe spot on but the controller probe readings arent usually even close. So I totally ignore that. The controller temps fluctuate more than Id prefer, sometimes as much as 20 degrees off and on. but it doesn't seem to really affect the outcome of the smoke. If you use some water tubs in your chamber, it really helps keep it stable and prevents those big temp swings. I use the 820X.

Latest Discussions

Back