New from NC

jcoleman66

Reaction score
Just picked up a Series 4 vertical smoker to replace my Masterbuilt MES 30. Smoked several years on the MB but the element died and a replacement didn't fix the issue. I researched the Pitboss smokers and was please with the reviews and that pretty much every part can be replaced if need. Really like the large cabinet, can almost crawl inside :p

Only had it since last weekend, so have done the "seasoning" and ran test on temp to see how stable it was.

Looking to pick up any hints/tips I can find and happy to pass along any info I can help with.

Cheers,

John

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome you will find any help you need here, lots of resourceful people. I have a series 3 vertical and use it every weekend. Have turned out some good cooks on it but I wish I had gotten the series 5 because it is bigger. Dis pizzas on it last weekend but I have to use the 12 inch pizzas because anything bigger will not fit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcoleman66

Reaction score
Welcome you will find any help you need here, lots of resourceful people. I have a series 3 vertical and use it every weekend. Have turned out some good cooks on it but I wish I had gotten the series 5 because it is bigger. Dis pizzas on it last weekend but I have to use the 12 inch pizzas because anything bigger will not fit.
Thanks you sir! One question I do have. On the MES I smoked (or tired to) at 275 and I had a external cold smoker to provide my smoke (did a much better job than the small tube). What is the best process for getting smoke in the PB? I think the temp at smoke is like 150. While good for maybe a cold smoke seems a bit low for a long smoke on a pork butt. During my experiment at 275 to swing was 270 to 285, which is fine, but not a lot of smoke.

I like the versatility of this smoke with temps to 420, looking forward to experimenting.

Thanks!!

Wally Pro

Reaction score
Thanks you sir! One question I do have. On the MES I smoked (or tired to) at 275 and I had a external cold smoker to provide my smoke (did a much better job than the small tube). What is the best process for getting smoke in the PB? I think the temp at smoke is like 150. While good for maybe a cold smoke seems a bit low for a long smoke on a pork butt. During my experiment at 275 to swing was 270 to 285, which is fine, but not a lot of smoke.

I like the versatility of this smoke with temps to 420, looking forward to experimenting.

Thanks!!
Well really anything over 250 degrees is not smoking.

Try a temperature of 225 degrees, or keep it below 250 deg.

Latest Discussions