My new vertical smoker is making a horrible noise

Bear8129

Reaction score
Just bought the Pro Series Vertical smoker and it is making an awful noise periodical. Almost sounds likes it grinding.
we bought it assembled from Lowes.
is this noise normal????

No that is not normal. Not sure what would cause a grinding noise. Does it sound like metal on metal grinding or something else? Sometimes I hear pellets "pop" if they are long pellets when they break up thru the auger.

Just assy mine and it was making a noise also. Mine was so bad that the auger would not move. Somehow the auger fan is rubbing on the back of the case. Go around the back side of your smoker. See the two louvers at the very bottom of the unit? I had to insert a tool and gently pull on the louvers to make the noise go away.

Mine is also a Pro Series purchased from Lowes. Sounds like a batch of them might have an issue.

This is the sound... see attached video (its 9 seconds but you can hear it)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    8.4 MB
No, it should not be making that noise. It sounds like the fan is hitting something. You have several options. Take it apart and see what it looks like, call Pit Boss customer support or return the unit to Lowe's. If it was me I would return it and get another one.

That is the fan/auger at the back making that noise. Mine did the same thing when it does it put your hand on the two small louvers on the back. I adjusted them so that I did not have to hassle with returning my unit.

I unplugged it and gently pulled out/back on the louvers. You could also loosen the screws on the bottom and try and slide it back. Your choice.

No, it should not be making that noise. It sounds like the fan is hitting something. You have several options. Take it apart and see what it looks like, call Pit Boss customer support or return the unit to Lowe's. If it was me I would return it and get another one.
Thank you. It will definitely go back.

Just found this post after getting a brand new vertical smoker last night. Mine has a terrible noise coming from the bottom, and indeed feels like the fan blades are hitting something.

I've just sent an email to Pit Boss support here in Australia. Let's see what they say, but your findings here look promising.

Update 1

Had a further look at the fan compartment and found that the igniter position is too close to the fan blades, which are slightly wobbly. When they spin, they raise about 1mm and start hitting the igniter body making that noise.

Still got no response from support but I'm stopping by the shop in a while to check the best way to proceed with a replacement or fix. A simple workaround could be to use some heat proof spacing washers between the chassis and the fan to keep it away from the igniter. Not sure how that would work with metal expansion when heat kicks in.

Update 2

Been to the store and showed the issue. They said I could just take it for a replace if I want to. However, I fixed the issue using a couple of spacing washers on each screw. That was enough to bring the fan slightly down and blades are no longer hitting the igniter shaft. Just finished the initial 40 min burn at max heat and it worked just fine!!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
There should have been a WARNING card in the box when you unboxed it about the auger fan. I gently pulled the louvers out and the noised stopped.

There should have been a WARNING card in the box when you unboxed it about the auger fan. I gently pulled the louvers out and the noised stopped.
Thanks!! Just double checked the box, bags and foams. No warning card around. :/

Update: I fixed the problem. Check Update 2 above. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back